Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hotness in GPS lap timers now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the hotness in GPS lap timers now?

Considering things for the fun car, and one of the items I will be looking for is another GPS lap timer. Last time i used one it was a Nokia running RaceChrono with an external 10hz GPS. That was 2009... i presume it isn't the hotness now.

Dont want to go down the Racepak dash route, as it still needs to look roadworthy and unmolested.

I remember there used to be the vBox things, and i see that RaceChrono is updated for Android/iOS now. But what is the current hotness? And what are the current regs for track days and club meetings with windscreen mounted phones etc?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

My mate run Racechrono suction mount to windscreen on a GT4 exige, hasn't been pulled up yet.

I'm currently putting together a armour case and hard mount to my rollbar with additional tether just I'm case.

Fyi there's talk this year phone chipsets shipping with 10Hz gps. That is going to be pretty cool.

Comment

Harrys Lap Timer isn't a bad thing. Are various versions at varied costs. Top one will do video and super impose telemetry on it. Also do segment timing for memory. Not sure on firm regs re windscreen mount but have seen plenty of them at club level track days.

Comment

I'm using racechrono pro on andriod with an external gps mounted to the dash. You can sync the data with a camera.

Comment

Racechrono on an Android is my weapon of choice.
          Time Attack Turbo Build Thread // BEAVISMotorsport.com // YouTube.com/bbeavis

Comment

Another vote for Racechrono.

You can do the video overlay with a cheap ish Android tablet quite easily, but the really neat thing is you can analyse the data with Vbox's software, which you can download for free.

There's a thread somewhere on here where I described it, with supporting examples. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

To add to what sprinkles said the data can come from your obd2 or external sensors.

Comment

And here's the post, #8 in this thread:

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842862289

Comment

Will the app stay running in the background?
                  Ie my logger also on Android OS stops logging OBD2 once it goes to background or screen turns off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mai View Post
                    To add to what sprinkles said the data can come from your obd2 or external sensors.
                    Any more detail on the external sensors? The few cars on my short list are all pre OBD2, and while i could build a microprocessor interface to dump data over BT (like i did a while ago), being able to do it with an all in one box would be preferable.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Supports racedac see here

http://www.racedac.com

Comment

Takai, yeah to log the external sensors in the car you will need a microprocessor interface, I had to do it for the excel. Racechrono can log the output from the microprocessor with the gps data.

Comment

Best or cheapest app to just get GPS speed overlayed onto video without OBD2?

Used for 1000m and 800m straights

Edit: Harrys Petrolhead app says it will do this easy.. for $10 more RaceChrono Pro says it will record from my GoPro? Will it overlay speed and shit onto my GoPro footage live??

Comment

Just search YouTube for Racechrono pro to see what it can do. Very cool.

Comment

Yea ive looked at a few tutorials, it seems pretty powerful.. ive bought it but not tested it yet

Comment

Working...
                              X