Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of doing the Youtube thing.

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of doing some bike reviews on the lines..

    i had a 2020 fat boy for a couple of weeks, and did this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbUlVE0FafE

    mega compressed on the gopro when its busy, so will try a higher BR upload soon.
    Also, in helmet audio was set too high so clipped hardcore... i set it thought the bike running. Doh. Next one will be better.
    Any other feedback appreciated.
    Watched the whole thing, so that's a good thing straight off the bat.

    Good review, I like the fact you have slim/none background with HD's and you are purely reviewing it as a bike in general and not compared to other HD's.

    The big negative was the Audio, fix that and it's really good content. Minus points for no rolling skids or brake jobs!

    You are right about these things taking off from a standstill. I'd guess my old dyna was 0-100 in around ~3.5-4 seconds. Pretty funny to see the Superbikes round you up at half track

    Last edited by brasher; 19-03-20, 11:22 AM.

    Comment


      Thanks! Yeah not sure what I can do to the audio.. will try some eq/filters in premiere.

      Yeah and your one revved! seriously the stock 114 was dead after 4500rpm.
      www.markpakula.com
      2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
      2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
      2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
      2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

      Comment


        Finally getting back to this-now that I have plenty of time and can't go anywhere, I have time to work on vidjahos again. Except for the lack of camera and tripod, which I sold off. Time to look at replacing them with budget options, while I still have a check coming in. (and less motorsport and more chips on the floor junk)

        Comment


          Originally posted by Xnke View Post
          Finally getting back to this-now that I have plenty of time and can't go anywhere, I have time to work on vidjahos again. Except for the lack of camera and tripod, which I sold off. Time to look at replacing them with budget options, while I still have a check coming in. (and less motorsport and more chips on the floor junk)
          Awesome! you got a good idea what you are after in a camera now? is there much interest in the arduino based ECUs? last I looked they were a bit of a fuckaround in various ways.

          My DIY channel has picked up a fair bit recently, possibly due to social isolation.

          I just got an instagram message from a dude who runs several "viral" DIY video facebook pages asking if he could upload my videos, I checked out his pages and they seemed legit enough, and the videos credit the creators so I said go for it. Haven't really looked at uploading video to facebook, I have one page for a product I was looking at making that I think linked to a video but it got very little interest.

          Anyone had any luck with getting a group certificate from youtube? given the revenue payments come from "google asia pacific" I guess that counts as foreign income, i'm still well under the taxable income threshold, but may need to submit a return for the last financial year anyway.

          Comment


            So views are still going OK, hard to make videos right now as I don't have any hassle free time with the lockdown going on.

            Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
            I just got an instagram message from a dude who runs several "viral" DIY video facebook pages asking if he could upload my videos, I checked out his pages and they seemed legit enough, and the videos credit the creators so I said go for it. Haven't really looked at uploading video to facebook, I have one page for a product I was looking at making that I think linked to a video but it got very little interest.
            So the person who contacted me uploaded one of my videos to Facebook (and credited me in the captions on the video, which doesn't help much as my youtube channel name is SPE and if you search for that you don't find it, my fault - and posted a link to my channel in the description and comments)

            They cut it down to ~4 minutes from ~11 minutes and put shit music over it which I guess is fine, interestingly my original video has about 100,000 views and has been up for a bit over a year, the recut/whatever on facebook has 260,000 views after being up for 3 days.

            I guess the facebook page would be promoting the video, perhaps they count views different, my video on facebook has 5 times the comments. facebook is a different beast to youtube.

            anyway, kinda interesting, I haven't seen any increase in views in the last few days, will see how it goes.

            here's a link if anyone is interested. it isn't very interesting. https://www.facebook.com/DIYCraftsTV...0310939108966/

            Comment


              Do you get paid from the facebook video?

              Seems like those guys just making easy money (if they are making money) off your hard work?

              Comment


                Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                Do you get paid from the facebook video?

                Seems like those guys just making easy money (if they are making money) off your hard work?
                No payment was discussed, I didn't expect any. I haven't made much money off that video anyway but it it increases exposure that is a good thing, though I'm not sure there is much audience overlap between YouTube and Facebook.

                I wouldn't let someone re-upload to YouTube, have made a couple of copyright claims when they have, have had some other videos used in part (that I consider fair use) where the creator has credited me somewhere but didn't ask first which I consider good manners but didn't get cut up about. I've made videos based on the work of other people and credit them in the description then send a heads up in case they don't want to be credited.

                While searching YT for my collector video I found one where some dude in QLD was making a manifold using my cutting method, if my videos don't make money it's good to know people find them useful, and it's it's practise filming and editing for me I guess.

                ​​
                Maybe I dun goofed, I have zero idea how facebook video works, I don't watch videos on Facebook much but I can't recall ever seeing an ad.

                I uploaded one of my build videos to my neglected commercialFacebook page, it's had 3 views in the last 3 days.
                Last edited by Roadsailing; 23-04-20, 08:57 PM.

                Comment


                  You know how when you scrolling in Facebook / Instagram and a video plays for a half a second as it scrolls past? That's classed as a view.
                  Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Dark Orange View Post
                    You know how when you scrolling in Facebook / Instagram and a video plays for a half a second as it scrolls past? That's classed as a view.
                    Yeah that's what I figured. YouTube may do that too (videos that autoplay as I'm scrollin' show up in my history) but their algorithm is more specific and your "friends" can't spam up your feed with shit as easily.

                    Comment


                      so I got another isntamessage asking about uploading videos to various pages on facebook so I did a bit of research by looking at the facepages of the bigger channels i'm subscribed to. Most only upload short (under a minute) videos pointing viewers to their youtube channel, though notably MCM's latest Merdeuse video is on facebook in full. Most of the videos don;t have big views, maybe 10K or so at the higher end. "make it extreme" facebook videos did OK, a number with a million or so views but they are exactly the type of videos that seem common on facebook.

                      I'm not sure how you make money of facebook videos but it looks like you have to promote the shit out of them to get views. My edited and re-uploaded video mentioned above is up to 650K views.

                      Still no noticeable increase in traffic on my youtube channel, think i'll ask the latest enquirer for the names of the pages they moderate to get a feel for the situation and let them do it too.

                      Just got paid for the month too, which was nice.
                      Last edited by Roadsailing; 23-04-20, 09:43 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                        so I got another isntamessage asking about uploading videos to various pages on facebook so I did a bit of research by looking at the facepages of the bigger channels i'm subscribed to. Most only upload short (under a minute) videos pointing viewers to their youtube channel, though notably MCM's latest Merdeuse video is on facebook in full. Most of the videos don;t have big views, maybe 10K or so at the higher end. "make it extreme" facebook videos did OK, a number with a million or so views but they are exactly the type of videos that seem common on facebook.

                        I'm not sure how you make money of facebook videos but it looks like you have to promote the shit out of them to get views. My edited and re-uploaded video mentioned above is up to 650K views.

                        Still no noticeable increase in traffic on my youtube channel, think i'll ask the latest enquirer for the names of the pages they moderate to get a feel for the situation and let them do it too.

                        Just got paid too, which was nice.
                        Could be ok marketing to a niche audience though. I know Home Built by Jeff's channel blew up after he did a short video of a build and it was featured on an online motoring page.

                        Pretty happy with mine, hit 20k views over 28 days for the first time.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Daz7 View Post

                          Could be ok marketing to a niche audience though. I know Home Built by Jeff's channel blew up after he did a short video of a build and it was featured on an online motoring page.

                          Pretty happy with mine, hit 20k views over 28 days for the first time.
                          Could be and I figure I don't have much to lose. My youtube journey started when a crap video on my other channel got posted on an automotive blog and started getting lots of views (to me at the time at least, that channel only topped a million views in total fairly recently) I still upload to that channel now and then, but it isn't very profitable. non funded self promotion does almost nothing, but I haven't done it very shamefully.

                          Congrats on 20K in a month, one of my goals was having more people watch my videos than I watched of others, sounds like you've passed that point!

                          EDIT: the second page to contact me has bugger all views in the grand scheme of things but I said go ahead. The first has uploaded another couple of my videos, the one on making a sprocket has amassed 1.6 million views in 22 hours (EDIT: 9.6 million views at the last edit date of this post) but it's pretty much youtube clickbait. the other one got a lecture on vinegar not removing the zinc from steel, oddly nobody mentioned that in the youtube comments, missed opportunity for me to say that I don't care or that zinc is good for your marital health.

                          Funny how they take a video that I have already cut down and sped up to the limit of comprehendability and then cut it down and speed it up more.

                          still no increase in views, will keep an eye on it.
                          Last edited by Roadsailing; 28-04-20, 12:34 AM.

                          Comment


                            second hog review is now live...

                            www.markpakula.com
                            2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                            2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                            2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                            2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post
                              second hog review is now live...

                              That looks like it rolled straight off the set of Days of our Bikes will have a look when "school" is finished, thumbnail looks good!

                              Here's my latest video, its doing better than the last few have but it's early days.



                              The sprocket video on Facebook levelled off at about 13 million views, made a little blip on the stats on the original on YouTube video, messaged the dude and said it was interesting and all but to not upload any more videos moving forward as it didn't improve my stats much. He replied offering 30% of ad revenue for exclusive use of my videos but hasn't replied to my question about how much that video made (probably because he thinks I would ask for the cut of that video as a show of good faith, which I probably would)
                              Last edited by Roadsailing; 17-05-20, 10:36 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X