Thinking of doing the Youtube thing.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pending weather, Video Numero Uno will be "How to Shorten an 8.8 Ford Axle with a Hacksaw, Hose clamps, some angle steel, and a welder." It isn't that hard to do, and will detail everything from junkyard picking to the finished product. Target time is 12 minutes, because that's about how long it'll take me to shorten the axle once I get the tubes cleaned out.

Video Numero Dos will be "How to Pick out a junkyard driveshaft, and make it fit your project car WITHOUT killing yourself in the process." Again, Super easy if you take your time and are careful, will go over balancing and clocking the U-joints, and what this method is good for and what it's not good for. (Hint: It'll get you to the car show on time, but don't go drag racing unless you've done this a few times already)

Going to try and shoot these videos when we're working on the Colorado Vee-Ate, but if they don't come out I'll re-do them for the Maverick Ford-O-Monster. Ford-O-Monster will have general engine rebuild stuff, so look for that...sometime.

Comment

That's exactly the sort of thing I like to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by QABB View Post
        I've started a youtube channel recently covering off a 90's dirt bike restoration.

It's not easy (well not for me anway) but like anything, you get better at it the more you practice.

Unless you have something go viral it's really slow going which can be a bit disheartening to begin with.

Here's one of my recent videos:

Would appreciate constructive criticism / feedback!

I use a cheap Nikon DSLR with a 35mm lens and a shotgun mic. I do a voice over afterwards.
        Loved it. But Iím a 90s motocross tragic so itís right up my alley! Will watch your other vids. Great work.

Comment

QABB, the RM video was pretty damn impressive. Going to go back and watch all the series now. You've earnt yourself another subscriber here.

The bike looks like it will turn out immaculate as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
            That's exactly the sort of thing I like to watch.
            +1.

Weirdly, agree on the binky stuff, like street outlaws or the rawling shit, just don't really enjoy it. Opinions may vary but HRG, RK, the Fin, Frei, Dulcich, Lucky and Tony crew are watchable.

Entirely a strokes for folks thing. Would love to see eome work on the vee ate but also keen to see Ford o stuff too.

Will also add other reinforcing bits - the video is important, but, the audio is critical too. Either audible if in scene or voice over is fine but avoid bad audio situations.

Keen to see the first efforts at any rate.

Comment

I like watching mechanics doing vids about daily life is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Roadsailing View Post
                what editing software do you use?
                Final Cut Pro X

Originally posted by brasher View Post
                Loved it. But Iím a 90s motocross tragic so itís right up my alley! Will watch your other vids. Great work.
                Thanks mate - how good are 90s bikes?!

Originally posted by Gats View Post
                QABB, the RM video was pretty damn impressive. Going to go back and watch all the series now. You've earnt yourself another subscriber here.

The bike looks like it will turn out immaculate as well.
                Awesome. Hope you enjoy them.
                '60 VW Kombi Ute
                '62 Morris Mini
                '15 Audi S3 Sedan - SOLD
                '10 G6E Turbo - SOLD
                '99 RZ Supra - SOLD

Comment

That's another thing-editing software. I'll try to find something free to start with, but I need to get something usable eventually. They all cost hundreds of dollars or want some kind of subscription cloud fee though, it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by QABB View Post
                    Final Cut Pro X
                    cheers! think a lot of people use that but I don't own any fruit products.

Originally posted by Xnke View Post
                    That's another thing-editing software. I'll try to find something free to start with, but I need to get something usable eventually. They all cost hundreds of dollars or want some kind of subscription cloud fee though, it seems...
                    virtualdub is the best free one I have found, tried a few others but just registering and getting them up and running gave me the shits. It's powerful but a bit fiddly. the following is for my own reference as well as I just worked out better ways of doing some of this crap

workflow for me is

1. open .mov file (camera format)

2. cut out the bits I don't want

3. speed up footage if required (this is a bit involved but easy once you get the hang of it)

4. select divx compression

5. select and configure any video filters you want to use

6. click "save as .avi"

7. repeat X number of scenes

8. select "direct stream copy" in the video menu

9. re-open each (.avi) file and trim a frame out so the audio and video lengths match up (which happened in step 3. - if you don't do step 3 you shouldn't need to do this step) and the sound doesn't go out of sync when you put them all together (which I only just worked out how to fix properly)

10. open first file again

11. "append avi" to join them together (append .avi will attach any files in sequence, for example if you open 1.avi and append 2.avi it will also attach 3.avi, 4.avi and so on. if the folder only has 1.avi, 2.avi and 4.avi and you add 2.avi to 1.avi it won't add 4.avi to it.)

12. "save .wav" and open in audacity or whatever

13. normalise/even out wavefile, save as a filename you will remember

14. select "use audio from different file" and select file above in virtualdub

15. slick "save as .avi" if you choose "direct stream copy" (which you can do as soon as the files are .avi) they process really quickly, if not they take ages.

16. watch the video, work out what is wrong with it and fix it, repeat steps as necessary.

based on your willingness to mess around with assembly and so on this program should be right up your alley.

*Notes* keep all of the files the same resolution and framerate otherwise it can't splice them, there are probably some other things I've forgotten.

may well be worth spending a few bucks on something but I don't like to waste anything but time on my youtubes.

there are camera considerations too, my camera will only record 12-20 minutes at a time depending on how much movement there is, and the batteries go flat fast. many times I'll be doing something and the camera will stop recording because the file got too big or the battery went flat. plan ahead for this and get comfortable with your gear.

do test shots before you start the real thing, work out where you are going to stand etc ahead of time.

if you usually have the radio or music on while you work turn it off while you are filming. the google AI will hear the copyrighted songs and your video will get demonetized, the sound muted or deleted.

let me know if you get stuck with virtualdub, i've probably left some bits out.

Comment

I'm only just getting into this (in the grand scheme of things) and have been making videos with my son. Basically, teaches him a few things about building cars in the garage, handling tools, safety all while having a laugh and some fun together. He loves cars as much as I do anyway, so it all helps.

I started with a old Nikon SLR, but the auto focus was so noisy it was affecting the audio. Tried a few cheap ebay mics, no good. Sold it off and got a Panasonic Lumix which is tons better so far. Heaps more features too.

But if the content is good, you should be right for gathering an audience. I'm trying to cover quite a big range in terms of audience as a few of my sons friends like watching his videos so he has a section where he explains how things work etc in a very basic way and then for people starting out in the projects he gives out advice (scripted by me of course) and then we cover whats been done on the projects we are working on. More of a catch up really as the project has taken a long time.

But now that its upto speed we are doing different videos which show the work actually being done at the time of doing it. These videos can sometimes take ages to make. For myself anyway, especially if I'm by myself.
                      Set up the camera, film, talk, move to a different spot to get a different view, back on the tripod, off again and so on and so. Plus I only get a few days off a week and in those days just a few hours here and there. So be patient when recording and do the work first and foremost make the recording just come along for the ride so to speak. I see people sometimes rush the work they are doing simple to get videos out.

Editing can take a fair while too. I reckon I'll be at it for around 3 hours per video.

Main thing I reckon is just have fun with it. Me and my son have a shit ton of fun making the videos. If anything, it'll give him and his family something to look back on and laugh when I'm dead and gone.

Here is out latest.
                      https://youtu.be/kDeF0hwBkHo
                      http://www.facebook.com/ToughGarage
                      http://www.instagram.com/tough_garage

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                        snip
                        what editing program do you use? also you spelled Instagram wrong in your signature.

Comment

Just using Movie Maker on Windows. I tend to struggle if programs are overly complicated, so I just stick with the easy stuff.
                          http://www.facebook.com/ToughGarage
                          http://www.instagram.com/tough_garage

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                            Just using Movie Maker on Windows. I tend to struggle if programs are overly complicated, so I just stick with the easy stuff.
                            think I tried that, couldn't get it to work and it doesn't have some of the features I need.

Comment

This is a great thread, really informative. Cheers guys.

Comment

here's my latest vid, feel free to laugh at my welding - I kept it as rusty as possible with big gaps to practice welding big rusty gaps and have more excuses for my welding being shit.

think I'm going to have to resort to clickbait "lifehacks" to get above the 1000 sub threshold and stay monetized.

Comment

Working...
                                X