Weekend car: 4c vs elise / exige vs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend car: 4c vs elise / exige vs ?

So I have got to the point I never really drive my megane rs265 during the week and it really only ever gets used on weekends and less than 5000km a year.

Nopics has a 3 series wagon which fulfills comfy roadtripping / commuting / hauling dog so I'm free to get something a bit silly for weekends.

Car will be really used for mountain runs, the 5 yearly Pf cruise and just any time I feel like something a bit more interesting. I can't really track it except for maybe happy laps (although sprints seem safer of late) due to minor health issues.

Budget is 70k, would rather something less than 3 years old which has brought me to a 4c or elise s (the supercharged one). The v6 exiges are still out of the budget and evoras seem a bit dull.

Opinions on either or anything else?

Not sure if I'm gain to risk alfa aids on a relatively expensive car and I'm not sold on dsg with reports of gearbox issues in about 5% of 4c on American forums.

The elise seems a fair bit more basic and only stupid colours come up for sale (yellow / orange).

I have briefly considered older Cayman, m3 or m140 but none seem to give the feeling of excitement or rawness you get with the other cars above.

A couple of cars for example.
    4c - https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-16061870
    Elise (bloody terrible colour):
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...AG-AD-16271218

Thanks in advance.
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Thought about an older exige s? I think they will hold their value fairly well.

Not far off GTR money either.

Comment

Yeah the older exiges still demand good money. Have driven and would consider the right one but they all seem to have big kms by now.

Oh yeah, pretty much zero interest in a gtr. Fast but just too large for my liking.

Comment

Have you driven a 4C?
        Just outta interest.
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Lining one up this week. They are just few and far between.

Comment

Damiano drove one and was keen as fuck to buy it until he realised that he couldn't see the dash while he was sitting in it

you may not have that issue though
            Originally posted by choppo
            Looking forward videos of OP doing the chicken dance in drag with bananas up the arse and other fruit around the face in gay hypnotherapist rape dungeon

Comment

Yeah, go drive a 4C and report.
              I can report a supercharged 2zz exige certainly will fit your criteria. They are unlike any other car i have driven, mostly in a good way. But that's not to say you will like one! Only way to know is to try.

I'm also thinking (hoping) they are nearing bottom of depreciation curve. Certainly far more so than a 4c in any case.

Comment

Could wave some money in front of this guys face? I have been tracking these for a while. Would you consider a new M2 pure/competition? Bit higher price bracket.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-5607044/?Cr=0

Comment

Personally I'd want a yellow or orange or bright green Elise so it reduces the chance of being driven over by some moron in a 4wd who didn't see me.

Comment

I suspect a 4C is too wide for SEQLD twisties - they're *fucking* wide - 8" wider than an Elise/Exige from memory.
                    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Don't you have a GT40 replica to finish?
                      "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

New A90 Supra comes out Q2 next year, probably close to your budget - basically a Cayman GTS with an inline turbo 6. Meant to be a weapon in the corners.
                        '84 Supra
                        '86 Supra
                        '99 Supra
                        '19 Supra

Comment

I'm going through all of this currently and have owned an S2 Exige previously.

The 4c has so much road presence because it is wide, think shrunk Fezza and the inside is a far more appealing place than any Exige. However, I also worry about owning an Alfa which stops me dead in my tracks (can you go out for a blat and report).

Lotus is awesome but more racetrack than road, Porsche/4C are more road than racetrack and your missus isn't going to whinge if you want to take her out on Saturday night in them. Take your pick.

Comment

Elise S all the way, though I'd certainly want to drive a 4C to compare - lack of manual kills it for me though.

You can get a new Caterham at that price too, albeit the dinky 1.6l engined one. To be honest I'd probably go that way - there'd be less maintenance and depreciation potential at the expense of lower outright speed and more killdeathyness.

I wouldn't recommend an M2 as a weekender, they're just too practical. I hop from my Mini or AW11 into my M140i and it just feels slow and 'squidgy'. Feels slow, not is slow!

Comment

This meets very few of your criteria, but can you please do it anyway

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...D-150747/?Cr=3

Comment

Working...
                              X