Weekend car: 4c vs elise / exige vs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Don't you have a GT40 replica to finish?
    BUMP
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Comment

It's not a gt40.. but it will do. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210810_114015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.02 MB ID:	7280549
      POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Comment

Very nice! I have been watching the s/h Exige S / 350's for a while now, not many around unfortunately and Covid tax of course, but the 3.5SC V6 just sounds great and has decent grunt stock, 1.8's seem a bit underpowered. Manual I presume?

Comment

yeah covid tax has fucked lotus prices hard lately. i reckon i could double my money on the elise if i wanted (except of course anything that would tempt me as a replacement is just as stupidly priced too)

would love a v6s exige. i'm sure you will be happy
          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 12arx3 View Post
            Very nice! I have been watching the s/h Exige S / 350's for a while now, not many around unfortunately and Covid tax of course, but the 3.5SC V6 just sounds great and has decent grunt stock, 1.8's seem a bit underpowered. Manual I presume?
            Yeah I looked at a few 1.8 elises to replace the 4c but they felt a bit uninspiring (compared to an s2 exige). I was going to get a 250 cup Elise then made the mistake of driving a v6s. Just hugely difference experience.
            LIke you I watched the market for a while for decent later model s3 v6s but nothing came up.

This is a 390 (397hp) final edition which is a kind of hybrid between the old 350 and 410. The body is mostly 350 bar a carbon splitter and the engine / gearbox and charged cooled SC are all from the 410.

Lotus went all manual for the final edition thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by timtx5 View Post
              It's not a gt40.. but it will do. Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20210810_114015.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.02 MB ID:	7280549
              Thread not loading?
              Originally posted by Jim
              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Thread not loading?
                Just driving, no modding at this point.

I'll swap in some exige 420 carbon bits down the track and maybe swap the pilot sports for cups, but there isn't much else it needs.

Comment

Yeah I looked at a few 1.8 elises to replace the 4c but they felt a bit uninspiring (compared to an s2 exige). I was going to get a 250 cup Elise then made the mistake of driving a v6s. Just hugely difference experience.
                  Curious on thoughts around the difference in driving experience?
                  Find your Freedom
                  Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                  www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                  www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                  If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Just driving, no modding at this point.

I'll swap in some exige 420 carbon bits down the track and maybe swap the pilot sports for cups, but there isn't much else it needs.
                    Thoughts on teh driving experience?

Its a shame these will be no more, 300+kw and 1200?kg and that sound..... plus they look tough!
                    Originally posted by Jim
                    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Yeah really nice bit of kit, pity for anyone who doesnt already have one that the will likely never get any cheaper than they are now. Will be able to buy a newer model that is slower/heavier if you want or after that electric and also likely heavier.

Unless they really pull something out of their arse with the next electric car, seems like there is going to be 2 types of lotus customers, an old school who loves driving/tracking their car and doesnt care that they look like a goof getting in and out as its basically a race car for the road, and the new lotus customer who talks up the badge reputation and the handling and likes to hang out a cafes with their fauxrarri, I just dont see the crossover much (apart from whoever the fuck bought an evora).
                      this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

I am definitely in column A hahaha

Last edited by trdee; 13-10-21, 04:15 PM.
                        1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post

Curious on thoughts around the difference in driving experience?
                          I will put this a comparison with the 4c and Elise.

Compared to the 4c. The 4c looked awesome and plenty of people noticed it. The carbon tub was killer and the build quality and finish was better than the lotus. The problem was that it wasn't enjoyable. Mine had the race package which was a stupid loud exhaust, big 18/19 staggered wheels and low firm suspension.
                          There was something off with the 4c geometry. It tram lined and followed any road groove like anything. The steering while not power assisted also didn't have great feedback. The suspension was non compliant and the engine was laggy with all 180kw turning up at once, usually mid corner. More than once I got it crossed up in the wet and you aren't sure if it's not going to just rotate and over correct. Driving it at any pace was hard work and not really enjoyable. There was a pf group drive over Mt nebo in the wet while I had it and I just had a hard time keeping up due to the way it performed and behaved.

Compared to an Elise. Elises are fun with awesome steering feedback and really compliant suspension that encourages you to push hard. They feel small and light. The problem with the later s3 is that the engine is decent but underwhelming. It really doesn't hide it's commuter car origins as well. I have driven a few 2zz s2 Elise and that engine is a whole lot of fun to rev out and adds to the experience.

The exige on the other hand, most of the good parts of an Elise, if not a little firmer, larger and heavier but the engine really brings something more. The v6 is a sweet lump, has instant torque, likes to rev and makes a decent noise. More than quick enough with a sub 4 second 0 to 100.

It's a much more confidence inspiring car and doesn't wear you down like the 4c would on a weekend drive. You notice the weight a bit on the tight twisty stuff (especially keeping up with my friends Elise, below) but on higher speed flowing / sweeping corners you can put on so much speed and it feels really planted.

I think most of all I also missed having a real manual transmission. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211013_174929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	7303620
                          Last edited by timtx5; 14-10-21, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Thoughts on teh driving experience?

Its a shame these will be no more, 300+kw and 1200?kg and that sound..... plus they look tough!
                            Mine just falls short of 300kw (297kw) but has the same charge cooled blower and engine setup as the 430hp models so it's only a tune away.
                            low 1100kgs too.

Comment

Nice. Fire Red? Would bang

Bit too hard-core for a daily though?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2021-10-14 082731.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	7303695
                              Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Yeah fire red. I went with the black pack because I prefer the black rear panel and side scoops and I would like to change the wing, roof and front panel.

Biggest problem for a daily is getting in and out and approach angles. That front carbon splitter really limits speed bumps, ramps etc.

I have this fiesta st as a daily (which my work colleagues give me shit about) and the v60 is the baby hauler. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211014_105725.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	7303712

Comment

Working...
                                X