Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Golf GTI mk5? 15k budget

Brother in law has possibly the most unreliable pos WRX in Melbourne and has just done another gearbag so is pretty much going to be scrapped.

Budget is max 15k on road (closer to 12 would be nice though).
    Needs to be something that feels a little bit sporty or at least a nice place to be.

He's thinking of a mkv golf GTI but I wouldn't trust the DSG and manuals are pretty rare - there's only a few for sale with lowish k's at the moment.

Given he has the worst luck known to mankind with cars he needs something pretty robust and not overly $$$$'s to repair (I know, kind of eliminates the VW)

So, PF brains..... what do I tell him to buy? (other than a bus pass)

This TTV12 S600: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6040112/?Cr=1

Or an XR5

Comment

As above or the MK6 Golf GTD is playing it safe and they're fun for a 5L/100 car. The 6spd DSG is pretty reliable imo. A riskier option is the Giulietta QV. A friend has one and it's been problem free but the interior is a bit meh

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post
        That Merc looks a cracker! Maintenance costs would scare a lot of people off no doubt.

Comment

Kia Proceed GT? Kia Cerato Koup Turbo? Drove one, liked it a bit, but didn't buy it in the end. Either should be super reliable, but mostly boring. Bro had an XR5. Great chassis/steering and the 5 cyl sound adds far more character to it than any other similar 4 cyl. Lack of cruise control was painful to live with however.

That TTV12 though...I've never owned a V12 or TT. Two birds with one stone, mmmm.

Comment

Could grab a manual Mk6 GTI for under $15k. Would be over 100k on the clock, but as a manual shouldn't be an issue. Mate of mine's 2010 model has clocked up over 180k now.....
            Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
            Official Photographer 2019 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Superloop Adelaide 500 | Challenge Bathurst

Comment

Fiesta ST or Focus ST?, there are a few 2012/13 with reasonable kms in that price range (16k ono)

Comment

Originally posted by Nafe View Post
                Could grab a manual Mk6 GTI for under $15k. Would be over 100k on the clock, but as a manual shouldn't be an issue. Mate of mine's 2010 model has clocked up over 180k now.....
                Only one manual in Melbourne at with under 200k for $15k and take a look at the the paint job on the front quarter!
                https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5997505/?Cr=0

Comment

Is the XR5 any good from a reliability pov?

Comment

Iíve got manual gti mk5 for 4K. Itís perfect all round and nothing goes with it. Had it about a year now.

Comment

Doesnít get much nicer than a BF Falcoon wagon surely?
                      AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Henry View Post
                        Brother in law has possibly the most unreliable pos WRX in Melbourne and has just done another gearbag so is pretty much going to be scrapped.

Budget is max 15k on road (closer to 12 would be nice though).
                        Needs to be something that feels a little bit sporty or at least a nice place to be.

He's thinking of a mkv golf GTI but I wouldn't trust the DSG and manuals are pretty rare - there's only a few for sale with lowish k's at the moment.

Given he has the worst luck known to mankind with cars he needs something pretty robust and not overly $$$$'s to repair (I know, kind of eliminates the VW)

So, PF brains..... what do I tell him to buy? (other than a bus pass)

mk5 r32 manual. much much better than a mk5 gti. buy one at 10-12k and spend the change on an exhaust.
                        I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

I am junkie for swedish high quality shitboxes. my latest fix is this...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Henry View Post
                          Is the XR5 any good from a reliability pov?
                          I had one from 4,000km to 130,000km, didnít really do anything outside routine servicing. Pretensioner started to fail a bit early which could have been expensive but most of them should have had belts done by now (10yr/180,000km interval).

Good call on the R32. My folks have had one since new and outside of DSG gremlins itís been great. I think good manual examples will also start to appreciate in value (if they havenít already)

ALSO: another contender has to be Megane RS265. By far the best drivers hatch of the era.

Comment

EP3 CTR.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Renault Megane

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-5695294/?Cr=0

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ren...pDeal&limit=12

Comment

Working...
                              X