X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$50-60k two car garage?

Gentlemen

So I have two cars, a Focus RS which I drive to work & does family duties on the weekend, and my wife has a Mk7 Golf which goes from our house to the fruit shop/butcher about twice a week.

80% of the km done in my RS would be by myself. I hardly ever get a chance to drive it properly (I have a 3yr old and a 3 month old). So it does the odd 2nd gear pull on freeway onramps and thatís kind of it. With two kids we are also starting to find the limits of itís size.

So Iím thinking do I fuck both cars off and start again. Get something a bit bigger for the wife/weekend duties, and get something for me to take to work (doesnít need to be practical).

Maybe be happy to spend $50-60k for the two cars, the split doesnít matter

I was thinking something like a mid size wagon/sedan (A4 or 3 series?) and then something like a 135i/Boxster?

I dunno, thoughts?

any age requirement for the cars?

Comment

New three cylinder Fiesta ST ($27k odd) for you and Skoda Superb with the AWD and Golf R spec motor for the wife?

Either that or try to get one of the newer higher power 2L MX5s, if you really don't care for practicality.

Comment

Au Falcon wagon on gas
        Au XR8 for you
        Originally posted by brasher
        TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Subaru Outback for the mrs. Whatever for yourself but remember you never have a chance to use it properly so don't go overboard on performance.
          Originally posted by Mr Jones
          Sneakers prompted the erection. Engine stand made me do something with it

Comment

Originally posted by kedderz View Post
            any age requirement for the cars?
            Something newish for the family car (doesn't need to be 0km new, but a few years old max and low km)

"my" car, don't care. Just needs to get me to work reliably

Comment

Food for thought. You're picking up the kids still so maybe a soft-roader, so you're not bent over with a 3 month old trying to get into a low car. Rear hatch allows to you load pram easily.

Comment

Camry hybrid - 2012+ with the 2.5 DI - then something less sensible - 40 series with a v12, or jeep like Shep's - or a softroader thing your mrs can pop to the shops comfortably in.

or two camrys and a clubman

we have something similar - camry & falcon turbo
                This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Are you keen on Euro cars or doesn't matter? If no matter, I'd suggest Mazda 6 wagon for your wife and an MX-5 or 86 for yourself.

Comment

Camry Hybrid/Ringstinger for misso (stinger if you want to enjoy it when you drive)
                    elantra SR turbo in manual/auto post 2016 models

Comment

Wife W211 E55
                      You 986 Boxster S

You'll have change.
                      The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ View Post
                        Au Falcon wagon on gas
                        Au XR8 for you
                        What this man said, but series 2 or 3 and make the XR8 a pursuit ute with the 5.6 stroker

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not ever owning a Camry

The family car needs to be practical, but also not remove my will to live and the wife wants some level of niceness to it so she can hard park it at James St on occasion. A mate has one of those new Mazda 6s and they are really nice inside

Maybe if I'm feeling flush I could get a TE50 TJ

Comment

Cal what are those cars like on running costs? I like the idea

Comment

If the fact that the Benz is 15 years old is a bit scary for the nopix' car; you can probably achieve a "safer bet" from a reliability & maintenance point of view, for a similar buy-now price (but worse resale & way cheaper-feeling interior) by getting a VF2 SS wagon.

*edit*
                              Heh heh Ö or you can probably buy a new 2018 Le Commode for about $100 less than it was when I started typing this sentence Ö
                              Oops, another sentence, another $100 cheaper.

I like the Superb concept, although depreciation again (a big positive for the E55!).
                              Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                              X