C8 Corvette Stingray release day.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 if these were 100k the 4c would be looking for a new home. Tick owning a V8 off the list.
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
      $60kUS base and a $85kUS Z51
      I'd think HSV would sell the Z51 for $160k here maybe 180?
      Yes all the guesses at what’ll be imported are saying they’ll go with a higher-spec car as it’ll go some way towards justifying the amount they’ll charge. That US$85k car will have juicier profit than the $60k one, so it’s a sensible approach.

I’m pretty sure these are to be imported by Holden, BTW, not HSV.
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

MT testing of Z51 equipped version:

2.8s 0-60 mph
        11.1 @123 mph 1/4 mile.

That's an impressive amount of straight line handing. I'd be happy with that!

Comment

You guys seen Matt Farah's review. Link below.

He was a test driver for Road & Track, took it out on the track in this video. He mentioned that it has great front end grip, but he did make it understeer as he self admits he pushed it too hard.
          After the track video he goes on to say about the road manners etc. But seems at the moment, there is two versions? $60kUS base and a $85kUS Z51 which he drove. He didn't seem real keen on the $60k one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHNATBzFjE
          Look 9 posts up.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Yeah HSV need not have anything to do with this being Factory RHD.
            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

You guys seen Matt Farah's review. Link below.

He was a test driver for Road & Track, took it out on the track in this video. He mentioned that it has great front end grip, but he did make it understeer as he self admits he pushed it too hard.
              After the track video he goes on to say about the road manners etc. But seems at the moment, there is two versions? $60kUS base and a $85kUS Z51 which he drove. He didn't seem real keen on the $60k one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHNATBzFjE
              They are priced so low because they have porsche spec options, just not quite as extreme.

81k gets you all meaningful options, Z51 is a track pack at 5k, theres up to 11k of choices for interior pack upgrades (heated leather seats, folding mirrors and shit), front lift is $1500 (but this removes the adjustable spring perches from the front), Mag ride shocks are 2k, and you can option sports seats as well.

Everything beyond that is purely cosmetic, lights in the engine bay, carbon fiber pieces, strips, optional wheels (same size), different roof panel, different seat belt colours, different brake calipers.

Base car with Z51 @ 65k will perform exactly the same around the track as the one matt tested.
              The 60k car will still do 0-60 in 'only' low 3s,

Top level interior and front lift arent really needed, so the middle spec with all of the good bits and no cosmetic upgrades comes in at 76.5k (2lt interior, Z51, mag ride and competition seats).

this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

If it were my money would be Z51 (probably mandatory ins Australia), competition seats and magneride (again probably standard issue here).

Being on 2nd mid engine car, with lots of track time, they do require a slightly different driving style. Pick up the throttle too early and they will understeer more and take longer to transition to oversteer, if at all. This is not slow plough and understeer BTW. Just harder to get it to transition to neutral or slight oversteer, and you need to be quicker when they do. Trick is to get them to pivot a little as you turn in, then apply some throttle to stabilise it as the back edges around. Then nail it and punch out of the corner hard, maybe with a touch of oversteer if you have the power.

But the corner exit grip is the key to why they work, and work well. Or off the line they are great too.

C8 with r comp tyres and a decent wheel alignment will be pretty much a good thing on track I'm sure.

Hopefully I'll get one in maybe 10 years as they approach max depreciation.
                ​​​​

Comment

I'm starting to think Holden will arse this up.

Cost of 911 in USA -> https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/ USD $100k (including taxes and destination) or ~ AUD $147k Say $160 including our taxes
                  Cost of 911 in Australia withe rthe same specs is $250k

I have a feelinng Holden will charge like a wounded bull, head office will say why did we bother doing RHD and we won't see anythign good out of the USA ever again.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post
                    I'm starting to think Holden will arse this up.

Cost of 911 in USA -> https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/ USD $100k (including taxes and destination) or ~ AUD $147k Say $160 including our taxes
                    Cost of 911 in Australia withe rthe same specs is $250k

I have a feelinng Holden will charge like a wounded bull, head office will say why did we bother doing RHD and we won't see anythign good out of the USA ever again.
                    I don’t know that Holden would be dumb enough to think a Chevrolet badge can compete with a Porsche badge here?

i mean, to re-quote another comparison again on another page of this thread, Grand Cherokee SRT is about the same price as base Corvette in the US; and is around the $100k mark (OTR) here. Chrysler/Jeep knows the (non) cachet of a US badge here, and Holden would’ve done the research before setting any prices.
                    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 21-10-19, 12:29 PM.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

You're missing a lot of taxes there. Import duties are 5%, GST is 10% and LCT is 33% on everything ex GST over 67k. And while Porsche Aus does gouge a bit the 'base' 911 is much higher speced than the base US 911.

Comment

Is there still a free trade agreement between USA and AUS? Maybe one of the reasons why the Jeep is fairly priced here.

Comment

Originally posted by XXX19X View Post
                          Is there still a free trade agreement between USA and AUS? Maybe one of the reasons why the Jeep is fairly priced here.
                          I did a quick google and only the tariff (5%) is removed if there is an FTA.
                          When too much horsepower is barely enough

Comment

Motortrend put one on the dyno according to their instagram. Wonder what it really makes?
                            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
                              You're missing a lot of taxes there. Import duties are 5%, GST is 10% and LCT is 33% on everything ex GST over 67k. And while Porsche Aus does gouge a bit the 'base' 911 is much higher speced than the base US 911.
                              Not really. Cali has taxes as well. That and even if I add your taxes there is a SERIOUS shortfall on the 911 I spec'd to the Australian delivered car.

Oh, speaking of LCT. Hows that tax going for you to protect the Australian car manufacturing industry?

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Not really. Cali has taxes as well. That and even if I add your taxes there is a SERIOUS shortfall on the 911 I spec'd to the Australian delivered car.

Oh, speaking of LCT. Hows that tax going for you to protect the Australian car manufacturing industry?
                                Yes, Cali has taxes, they're added to the top of the US price you quoted. US prices are ex tax so the car can be quite a lot more expensive than advertised. There's more than 50k in taxes on a 911 in aus, its a hell of a lot more than the 13k you quoted (you didn't even cover GST)

I could also insert my standard comment that it's duties that were there to protect the australian industry, not LCT, but if you believe it was there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X