Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to switch to DIY servicing on newer vehicle?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    What manufacturer has 7 years warranty and 12 month intervals?

As has been said countless times, the vehicle doesn't need to go near a dealer to maintain warranty.
    This ... I've been getting it serviced to the book (which means 9 monthly 'cos it does nowhere near the 15k km in that time) without any of this risk of damage; it's still under full warranty. Well, 'til something like the 30th of December (yes - one of "those" demonstrators which somehow "demonstrated" by accumulating 70 kilometres over 6 months at a dealer where the standard test-loop is 10km ).

The only dealers I hear good things about now are BMW.
    The place I acquired the Oily Alcantara is a Benz one too.
    I assume you're talking volume? I'd have about a 70% expectation of some Special Treatment if I were getting my Lambo or Ferrari serviced.
    What about Lexus?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 16-10-19, 06:51 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Maybe its because their cars are in there so often.

I've recently had the unpleasant experience of Northshore Mini. Downright theives. On one side they tell me they've been in business 20 years and get 60 cars a day in their shop. He then tells me he can't quote for a timing belt and it will be a "do and charge" job. So in 20 years you've never done a timing belt or can't look up the factory handbook guide for the job?

No wonder normal punters get reemed by dealers. How are they supposed to know when a dealer is bullshitting them.
      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Northshore Mini would be a BMW dealer?
        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

What manufacturer has 7 years warranty and 12 month intervals?

As has been said countless times, the vehicle doesn't need to go near a dealer to maintain warranty.
          Toyota (if you service certain models at the Tojo dealer), Kia, Hyundai (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post
            Toyota (if you service certain models at the Tojo dealer)
            Are you sure it's a factory warranty if you have to service at the dealer?
            I guess it doesn't matter whether it's "factory" or not, I discovered 2 days ago that our Commode doesn't have factory warranty it's got extended warranty which is an Allianz thing … same coverage, only difference (at least from service department's POV) is the dealer has to clear costs with Allianz rather than with Holden HQ. I'm sure I asked whether it was a factory warranty when we bought the car, the possibility that the dealer might have lied to me is unthinkable!

Comment

https://www.toyota.com.au/-/media/ma...ions.pdf?la=en

Sorry, I meant the important bits. i.e the engine, drivetrain & hybrid bits and pieces

"The standard Toyota Warranty Advantage period for your new vehicle is 5 years with unlimited kilometres and, if your vehicle is properly maintained, up to 7 Years Engine and Driveline and up to 10 years Hybrid Battery with unlimited kilometres* - subject to further terms and conditions in this document."

Actually, reading this (as I'm getting the hybrid), for just the hybrid battery, I'd need to see the dealer for their "annual check". Everything else I just need proof I am using genuine parts.

Comment

Hmmm … I'd look into whether that 7 years is transferrable, as potential future value would weigh into my decision.
                If the extra 2 years can't be transferred to a new owner, I think that my risk calculations would have me forgetting the extra 2yrs' worth of warranty in favour of getting it serviced by someone competent who won't fuck something every time I get it serviced.
                If the extra 2 years is transferrable … I can't say, to be honest, I'd have to be risking the $30k to $40k to know what my decision would be. I suspect the time-value-of-risk equation (risk 6 years in the future being worth less than risk right now) might have me avoiding the dealer, but I don't really know.

But then I've been choosing to get the Commode serviced somewhere that involves a 3hr extension to the daily commute rather than just getting Camden Valley Holden's mobile service mob to just do it at the nopix' work, so my priorities may not be the same as someone who's looking at a hybrid Coramry (not that I wouldn't buy a hybrid Coramry, I actually would, but I think my priorities vary from the prime customer demographic ).

*edit*
                And Then … I would remember that a hybrid Toyota probably gets more from software upgrades during servicing than most cars, and I'd be in a quandary again ...
                Last edited by Captiva Fan; 17-10-19, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Doesn't say selling it will mean the extra 2 years won't be transferable.

Btw, hybrids have been alright as far as ownership goes. Mine is just over 10 years old and so far only gone back for those firmware recalls. I've been servicing it myself for the past 6 years without any special tools. Everything is DIYable. The fanatics on youtube all have a "how to" for everything if unsure and Toyota make available the repair manual for a reasonable fee.

Comment

My comment about it being a hybrid was because I can't see it being ever likely that a firmware upgrade for our Commode would make any difference to how it drove, but a firmware upgrade for a hybrid could very easily get you extra power &/or range &/or both. Sloth's Dingus Automotive won't be able to do that.

Comment

I've only had good experiences with the two BMW dealers in Perth.

Comment

Working...
                      X