Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hydrogen power the future, not electric?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just have to manipulate the fashion, somehow.
    I’m not in marketing & don’t know exactly how the stupid were sold on dangerous space-inefficient uncomfortable top-heavy thirsty awful-to-drive vehicles as a Fashion Statement ... but someone in an ad agency who’s snorted enough coke off dead hookers would be able to tell us!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
      . but someone in an ad agency who's snorted enough coke off dead hookers would be able to tell us!
      I'm stealing that for work tomorrow for when I have to justify 3 months work on a non-core deliverable

Comment

I don't know why people want things, but I do know that they're wrong.
        Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by oioioioioi View Post
          A mobile phone battery and a car are two wildly different things - as such they use different battery chemistries/technologies.

Most people just kind of accept their phone battery is pretty shit after 2-3 years. That is not going to fly with electric cars.
          Not really the tech is not all that dissimilar just optimized a little differently. The high end mobile phone stuff is a little ahead. The best EV vehicles basically use laptop batteries.... you could easily say the same argument for a laptop.... I personally think the “inferior” tech in the Nissan Leaf is the better tech commercially

Keep in mind that phones are used all day every day and charged every night. If you calculate run time that would be more than acceptable for an EV, then theres is also the argument of no need for fluid changes allows for the every few years battery change/upgrade.
          Last edited by vet 180; 16-10-19, 01:21 AM.
          Originally posted by Babalouie
          Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

Congratulations.
            Mate, I know, we ALL know, what makes gerlytrux a big sales item - what makes people want them - fashion. I said that in the poast you accidentally misquoted.
            People do all sorts of stupid things to themselves, put themselves through all sorts of shit, in the name of fashion.
            Again, as I said above, I don't know HOW you make the automotive equivalent of root-canal surgery without anaesthetic Fashionable. I guess if anyone did, they'd be extremely rich extremely quickly.

That Jag I-Face doesn't look like a gerlytruk for no reason; it's Fashion. Jaguar need to be on top of fashion & style, I guess, to pedal what they've got.
            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 16-10-19, 06:45 AM.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

ze german are worried

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...uilding-sedans

Surging SUV demand worries German workers building sedans

MUNICH -- Germany's car industry built its world-class reputation on sedans such as the Audi A4, the BMW 5 series and the Volkswagen Passat, reliable models that look good in the family driveway or company lot. But a shift in consumer taste to more hulking vehicles is coming at the worst possible time.

Demand for SUVs that initially took hold in America has spread across the globe, dramatically changing the product mix of carmakers along with their production footprint.

Higher sales of the lucrative vehicles, while good for German automakers overall, threatens to hurt the workforce in factories at home that are heavily geared toward traditional sedans and hatchbacks.

At BMW, sales of SUVs made mostly in the U.S. account for 44% of all global deliveries, up from 24 percent a decade ago -- with a corresponding drop for models such as the bread-and-butter 5 series made at the Dingolfing plant near Munich.

The trend is similar at Audi, which churns out SUVs mainly in Mexico, Hungary and Slovakia, and Mercedes, whose workers in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, can’t make the massive GLE fast enough to satisfy demand.

Comment

Correct. Which is why the most popular domestic market vehicle is the Hilux.

~3-4 of the top 10 vehicles sold are available as 4x4. Because you have nfi what the average consumer wants.

Feel free to tell the open market they are wrong. Keep telling people who never engage 4x4 they don't need it. Let me know how that works out for you bud.
                Most people are mouth breathing idiots

I know I'll never change that, but the shift will happen, slowly. Very slowly in Australia.

Comment

Avoiding an electric vehicle because it can't do 1000km to a tank is not entirely unlike buying a Prado in case you ever got the urge to go off-road like you never have in the past. For most, given that something like 80% of us live in the capital cities.

But for those who go off-road, like those who do want to drive outside the cities & the main highways joining them, it's a valid point - the next upcoming generation of EV's fix the charging-time problem if halfway between Sydney & Brisbane and the charging infrastructure is there, but it'd probably take the Tesla Enthusiasts' Club 8 hours to recharge all 6 of their cars at the one EV point that currently exists …

I need to re-check, but I think I saw in the recent Wheels that Benz says their upcoming (next year?) S-Class spec'd/priced EV (different product-line to S-Class) charges to 80% (100% is allegedly 700km) in 20 minutes, but it was on a fuck-off huge charger.
                  This is still very conventional petrol station thinking though. What will happen in reality is many electric charging stations along the way outside mum and pop shops, shopping areas or tourist places of interest. As the tech matures it will be much easier to set up electric charging stations compared with petrol stations. And electricity won’t go bad after 3 weeks like petrol so more remote locations are feasible. I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually have a unit on most highway rest areas. A simple swipe to pre-pay or enter your account deal.
                  Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Comment

I have heard that with the increased prevalence of EV cars now, your stop halfway up the hume to recharge can take a hell of a lot longer than you think as all the bays are taken up, and you then have to wait for one of the cars to finish their 20 minute charge, wait for the owner to realise and come out and move it and then wait for your car to then charge. Would be mildly frustrating. The shopping centre near me usually has all the bays taken up with a car charging. Seems people with EVs just use them as a carpark whilst they are in the shops for 2+ hours and couldn't really care for the rest of the drivers wanting a top up.

Comment

Tesla owners get an alert via the app when their car has finished charging, If they leave their car there any longer they also have to pay a fee, to discourage charge bay hogging

Again, I’m sure this is a pretty simple problem that will be solved moving forwards

Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
                      Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
                      1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

Mate, I know, we ALL know, what makes gerlytrux a big sales item - what makes people want them - fashion
                        Correct. The other thing is the street furniture is no longer friendly to regular sedans and hatchbacks without scraping the shit out of the undercarriage.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                          Tesla owners get an alert via the app when their car has finished charging, If they leave their car there any longer they also have to pay a fee, to discourage charge bay hogging

Again, I’m sure this is a pretty simple problem that will be solved moving forwards
                          How many of them would get all tight arse about it and get out before the charges kick in? They bought a Tesla worth umpteen Corollas! What is a few dollars worth to them?

Comment

Who knows, I think the point is owners can be monitored so there is scope for the big stick approach
                            The bigger problem might be ICE drivers who deliberately block charging bays because they have the mentality of 6 year olds. This is a thing apparently

Originally posted by Jim
                            I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
                            Originally posted by elfturbomax
                            What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
                            1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post

How many of them would get all tight arse about it and get out before the charges kick in? They bought a Tesla worth umpteen Corollas! What is a few dollars worth to them?
                              Most people that can afford a Tesla got there by being smart with money and not wasting on pointless things, so my guess is yes it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by smellytofu View Post

Correct. The other thing is the street furniture is no longer friendly to regular sedans and hatchbacks without scraping the shit out of the undercarriage.
                                I drive low cars and I've never had an issue with this - occasionally you might catch a spoiler on those concrete parking spots, but not much else otherwise.

There have been quite a few houses build in our street lately though with absolutely retarded driveways - steep decline to a flat section to cross a footpath and then another sharp decline and acute angle into the garage. So basically anyone without an SUV is not parking their cars in that garage. Sounds like a pretty bloody stupid idea to limit your market when you sell to me.

My theory is the SUV predominance is due to the increased rate of obesity and the resulting sedentary lifestyle. Can't fit inside your car easily? Buy a bigger car. Can't duck slightly to get into a low sedan? Buy a taller car. Sure, that's one answer. But if you find getting in and out of a conventional sedan difficult it sounds to me like you might want to reconsider your lifestyle choices. Unless you're 80, then fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X