Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Hydrogen power the future, not electric?

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    I think you'll find a lot of it is people having kids and thinking they need the room for prams, the height for ease of loading children, the extra seats so they can take their kids and their friends places etc. At least these were all the reasons the Mrs gave when we got our first one right up to our most recent one (and yes I said a station wagon can do all those things)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by piss98 View Post
      I think you'll find a lot of it is people having kids and thinking they need the room for prams, the height for ease of loading children, the extra seats so they can take their kids and their friends places etc. At least these were all the reasons the Mrs gave when we got our first one right up to our most recent one (and yes I said a station wagon can do all those things)
      100% this.

      we run 2 real 4x4’s in our stable. 1 bigger and a small Jimny. The wife uses the bigger unit for these reasons. If I was to ever sell the Jimny I would keep the bigger unit for my daily and family trips and get the wife a soft roader for all the reasons you mentioned and a bit nicer road manners. So we would be the family everyone is bagging here. When it was just me and the wife single car Jimny did everything
      Last edited by vet 180; 18-10-19, 06:08 PM.
      Originally posted by Babalouie
      Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by vet 180 View Post

        That will never happen as each manufacture will design the pack for each vehicle. Even now within brands the battery packs are totally different (like a petrol tank in ICE cars) and across brands completely different battery designs tobyge core. What you will see is governments and electrical company’s offering in hope charging stations so it just becomes second nature. This will and has already started in lager apartments complexes across the globe.
        They do this with electric scooters in Taiwan, Gogoro is the manufacturer.

        https://electrek.co/2019/08/06/power...ter-batteries/

        Comment


          #79
          the daily mail with a scoop- who'd a thought/

          true blue English battler , father of 8, inventing in his cottage shed. ..and can use coke cans as part of the cell

          rule britania


          even includes stories of motor industry trying to silence him


          https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arging-it.html

          complete with map of UK showing how far 1500miles is - the daily mail pushing the boundaries of tech comprehension

          whats not to like
          ;
          Ex-Navy officer turned inventor signs a multi-million deal to produce his electric car battery that will take drivers 1,500 miles without needing to charge
          Last edited by 9triton; 21-10-19, 07:27 PM.

          Comment


            #80
            Why on earth would the motor industry - who are investing billions into electric vehicle R & D - want to "silence" this guy instead of employing him, or buying his patent, to gain a massive advantage over their competitors?

            This reeks of "water powered cars" level of bullshittery already.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by oioioioioi View Post
              Why on earth would the motor industry - who are investing billions into electric vehicle R & D - want to "silence" this guy instead of employing him, or buying his patent, to gain a massive advantage over their competitors?

              This reeks of "water powered cars" level of bullshittery already.
              this x2
              someone would snap him up to gain a massive edge over their competitors.. not try to 'silence' him
              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by mrniceguy View Post

                They do this with electric scooters in Taiwan, Gogoro is the manufacturer.

                https://electrek.co/2019/08/06/power...ter-batteries/
                I can see it working well for scooters. There are less models and most scooters are a similar size. They are also sold in large quantities in most developing countries. The package to exchange is also more accessible, smaller and lighter. Cars on the other hand are a different story, many different brands and models many different sizes (even just in SUV’s there are 5 classifications for size all varying in size and design within those classifications). Have a look at how most Tesla batteries interstate physically within the car and then think of how to exchange that. I can’t think of a way to do that within a few hours never mind seconds.
                Originally posted by Babalouie
                Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by clutch-monkey View Post

                  this x2
                  someone would snap him up to gain a massive edge over their competitors.. not try to 'silence' him
                  The massive flaw in his tech that the article took out of context is it is not rechargeable....it’s a 1 time use and recycle. So you can drive 1500 miles but then have to swap fuel cells as that one is depleted. Think of it like a non rechargeable AA battery. I am sure the costs are taken way out of context also. My guess is they are quoting raw material costs and not the labour needed, or the profit margins in the distribution chain etc. the infrastructure needed to commit to that tech is massive and an industry not compatible with conventional power sources.

                  No doubt it’s cool tech, but a game changer...we’ll that remains to be seen. Sure it might work for powering old propeller planes on small sub 1000kms trips or specific machinery, but that’s about it. I do not see any automobile brands jumping on board.
                  Originally posted by Babalouie
                  Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by vet 180 View Post

                    The massive flaw in his tech that the article took out of context is it is not rechargeable....it’s a 1 time use and recycle. So you can drive 1500 miles but then have to swap fuel cells as that one is depleted. Think of it like a non rechargeable AA battery. I am sure the costs are taken way out of context also. My guess is they are quoting raw material costs and not the labour needed, or the profit margins in the distribution chain etc. the infrastructure needed to commit to that tech is massive and an industry not compatible with conventional power sources.

                    No doubt it’s cool tech, but a game changer...we’ll that remains to be seen. Sure it might work for powering old propeller planes on small sub 1000kms trips or specific machinery, but that’s about it. I do not see any automobile brands jumping on board.


                    Fundamentally flawed compared to rechargable Li-Ion batteries. Al-Air RECHARGABLE batteries are currently the holy grail of battery tech, if anyone manages to make it work properly, efficiently and mass producible they'll make a fortune.

                    Comment


                      #85
                      It's also telling that they tell you this has ~9x the energy density of a lithium ion battery pack and fail to tell you the comparison to petrol. Or that the range of this single use item is roughly the same as 240 litres of petrol.

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by oioioioioi View Post
                        It's also telling that they tell you this has ~9x the energy density of a lithium ion battery pack and fail to tell you the comparison to petrol. Or that the range of this single use item is roughly the same as 240 litres of petrol.
                        The article’s completely useless, because there’s a possibility that battery’s not such a bad thing; we have no idea what it takes to use the wasted battery & make a new one, it might take (say) 20% more electricity than it takes to travel 1500km & it might take 400% the electricity needed to travel 1500km ... it might take an old dude with a hammer & a 220V mains plug, or it might take a nuclear reactor powered by a cockatrice feather & 2 unicorn horns.

                        If every servo can easily “remake” one, for example, it could work brilliantly as a concept.

                        The fact they haven’t said THAT’s possible makes you think maybe it’s not. Sending ‘em all back to some central re-manufacturing facility, how much juice does that cost?
                        Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by mrniceguy View Post

                          They do this with electric scooters in Taiwan, Gogoro is the manufacturer.

                          https://electrek.co/2019/08/06/power...ter-batteries/
                          thats aweseome, i woyld use that in Aus for my daily to the train station. Hopefully that texh comes here.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X