No announcement yet.

Software system used by Fines Victoria to collect court fines is not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boothy.com Software system used by Fines Victoria to collect court fines is not working

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...22-p5333d.html

Victoria’s system for collecting fines is failing on a massive scale, leaving a hole of nearly $330 million in the state’s finances.

The software system used by Fines Victoria to collect court fines and infringements for parking, red-light camera and speeding offences does not work, leading to a massive backlog of infringement notices that cannot be enforced by the Department of Justice.

Authorities insist that the fines system is still functioning and that the onus remains on users to pay their fines, even if they have not received reminder notices.
    The problem has been blamed on a software package called VIEW, bought off the shelf from British company Civica in a $103 million contract and originally designed to enforce London's congestion charge.

Sources described the VIEW software as “death by a thousand clicks” and said the system was absolute chaos, and that teams of technicians were working in Melbourne and Britain to fix it, but VIEW will not be operational for at least a year.

Ooops, I just resigned from there a week ago! Huge penalty fees!

Comment

How are they ever gonna enforce road safety while the system is down!!!!!
      Last edited by BeverlyHillsCop; 22-10-19, 08:55 PM.
      /csh Racing

Comment

How many people have they killed on the roads because they can’t issue fines? Oh wait...

Comment

Here is the most important part of the story:
          Port Phillip mayor Dick Gross said his council alone was owed $21.8 million from outstanding fines.
          Bet that bloke had fun in high school. WTF doesn't he go by Richard or Rich (Fuck I would go by Steve if I were him.)
          Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            Here is the most important part of the story:

Bet that bloke had fun in high school. WTF doesn't he go by Richard or Rich (Fuck I would go by Steve if I were him.)

Couldn't have happened to a nicer nanny state. Especially when the cunts will happily do the paperwork to fine you for 2km/h over
            Swedish Soot Chucker
            Orange Accident KE10

Comment

His surname matches his dress style...

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQlv9Kb0W3m6hF5w5g_m2Ar_cc2tfgtQ_baBweVrkJf_S5fFQvw.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	7084633
              /csh Racing

Comment

Holy giant shoulder pads Batman! I think Elton John called as well and wants his glasses back.

Comment

$60m for software that doesn't work?
                  http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...Sk2?ocid=ientp

How do you get that gig that you can just not deliver something and walk away with many dollaridoos?
                  '13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Sell me your old videogames? Nintendo, Sega, PlayStation, some XBox...

Comment

Isn't that pretty much any govco software system these days???

Comment

And they're taking "at least a year to fix it"??? This thing is designed to track fines, not pass the Turing test, right? A moderately tech-savvy admin could probably whip something up in MS Access over a few weeks to get the basic job done.

Fucking government IT. Always a clusterfuck.
                      Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by shifted View Post
                        $60m for software that doesn't work?
                        http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austra...Sk2?ocid=ientp

How do you get that gig that you can just not deliver something and walk away with many dollaridoos?
                        Just as likely they delivered exactly what was asked for in the contract, which now leaves a system that has to be heavily reworked to suit the 596 spec/feature changes once people in charge realised that they didn't actually understand their own requirements (or how to manage a project.)

From that article:
                        "The attorney-general ordered a full-scale review of issues in relation to Fines Victoria earlier this year and conversations in relation to contractual agreements are ongoing."
                        Speculation here... someone ballsed up the contract. The vendor (usually) wins in that instance.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post

Just as likely they delivered exactly what was asked for in the contract, which now leaves a system that has to be heavily reworked to suit the 596 spec/feature changes once people in charge realised that they didn't actually understand their own requirements (or how to manage a project.)

From that article:

Speculation here... someone ballsed up the contract. The vendor (usually) wins in that instance.
                          I remember my old workplace used to apply for contracts and not get them because we would actually quote for what actually needed to be done - whilst the competitor would quote on the bare minimum and not include things that weren't specifically asked for. The competitors that won the contract would then get a second lot of work to do everything up to the correct spec so that it would work as the customer actually intended. Which means that they ended up paying out more money anyway.

They would do this over and over again, only looking at the total cost number on the applications. Because the customer didn't have (And to a certain extent - shouldn't need to know) all the details about what was involved in setting the system up.
                          Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

What I find amusing is they are almost budgeting (don't know if they actually do) for this revenue yet if everyone actually behaved themselves it could dry up instantly. They should expect 0 and put anything they get into something 'non core', not essential to running the state. From memory it's only a small portion of the states revenue anyway but it's being reported like half the population will die of starvation!

Comment

When the number plate scanning system was being developed, I workd at the company that was doing the work. Couldn't get any of the team to stay on the project for more than 3 months.

Plan English, everyone knew it was a money grab and told them to get fucked. I don't think it will get sorted as it's most likely a complete mess many years on. They may need to outsource the developemtn or rebuild OS for the work to be done. Good luck Victorian taxpayers.
                              "That which does not kill you, will make you very, very sick"

Comment

Working...
                              X