No announcement yet.

Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update mate. Results look epic.

Comment

Took ours for a blast tonight. Not many exciting corners but punched it through a few and was quite impressed. Keen to get it on a track

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post

Thanks mate.

In other news, was driving mine today, pulling away from some traffic lights, 50% throttle boost, into 3rd, felt the car lose some power, looked down to see the display saying "Reduced Engine Power - Visit Your Dealer". Using my expert problem solving skills I painstakingly calculated my options and managed to turn it off and on again and no problems since then. Hopefully just a glitch in the matrix.
        Had it happen to me again today. Gave it a squirt in second gear, lost power, turned it off and on again and no problem since. Will mention it to them during the 1000km check up. I'm also getting ping / knock from the rear while reversing, although that could just be the pads moving around in the caliper.

Comment

Had one thrashing around the skid pan at Mt Cotton today. Had the loss of power a few times but key on off fixed the problem. Skids well, sounds ok, looks shit, would bang again.

Comment

Heat soak causing loss of power?
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Don't think it will be heatsoak, front mount shouldn't do this with very little punishment. It takes ALOT for my 200 series to suffer from heatsoak power reduction, hard going in soft sand, will do it after about 30minup it for the rent.
              Diseasel 80 series with 100 series :w:

Comment

12.64 @ 110.4 MPH & 0-100 4.52sec with airbox mod and cat back exhaust (+ 255 tyres). 110MPH is hooking!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by psi999; 20-12-20, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Mid 12’s out of that is awesome
                  I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Originally posted by gus75 View Post
                    Had one thrashing around the skid pan at Mt Cotton today. Had the loss of power a few times but key on off fixed the problem. Skids well, sounds ok, looks shit, would bang again.
                    Interesting. I wonder if they overboost for whatever reason maybe it restricts the power to save further boost spike issues but an engine restart solves the issue? Sounds like it's not just me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by gus75 View Post
                      Should be getting a voucher for Skid Control for Xmas and will book in post March for a session. Trying to talk the no pics into coming too.
                      No understeer issues on the pan?
                      I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Response on one of the Facebook groups:

"Take your car back to the dealer, there's an active TSB out for the GR Yaris about this, the boost control solenoid isn't reacting fast enough in hot weather so it causes overboost, which in turn triggers limp mode. Fix is just a simple ECU software flash so it shouldn't take long"

and

"There's a bulletin for a software update. Your dealer should know about it"

Comment

Took mine for its first decent drive today. I’m not much of a reviewer, which kind of fits with being not much of a driver, lol. Anyways here’s my initial impressions:

It certainly is quick, but doesn’t feel as quick as the Megane, or my old Lexus IS350 come to think of it. Perhaps a combination of less the 100klms on it or more likely it’s the auto in those two providing that seamless power that I just can’t replicate driving a manual. The big pause while I shift gears just doesn’t match that headlong rush into well over triple digits of the other two, they were just a mash the pedal and hold on kind of deal. Having said that, it feels much, much quicker then the 86, and much easier to drive fast, blistering fast in comparison. And the 86 had e85 tune with uel headers on mca reds.
                          First to second comes very quickly. it really revs well to the redline, much faster then the 86 in 1st, 2nd and into third.
                          At normal road speeds the 86 felt quite lively, at 80kmh, the 86 was really alive, light on its wheels, moving and reacting to any road imperfection, the steering wheel transferring that through and loading pleasingly around a corner. You felt like you were driving a sports car, low slung with a great pedal box that suited the driving position.
                          The GR by comparison feels very stable, even thought they weigh close enough to be the same, 60kmh is like 40 in the 86 and even at 80 it’s solid, (feels like 40kmh again)soaking up everything with ease, if anything not as much coming back up through the steering wheel as the 86. I guess that’s where the steering feedback is a bit numb by comparison comes from, but perhaps that improves with more road speed and seat time to identify it better. The steering wheel is just perfect, the right size of the wheel and the rim, and the position of the gear stick is sublime in relation to the wheel, 10/10,really does fall to hand perfectly. Initially I thought the brouhaha about the seat position was just nit picking but having a bit more seat time I’m not a fan of its position in relation to the pedals. Just need more time to get used to it, it reminds me of driving a old kombi where you push down on the pedals as opposed to forwards with the 86.
                          I tried the sports setting and couldn’t get it to unstick the rear ( at sane speeds) but did feel gobs of understeer. More speed would probably help, but again I think that ties in with it feeling so much more capable/stable then the 86 for normal driving.

Obviously, this is a much more potent car then the 86, thinking of the hierarchy of cars, this is a three or four four step up from the 86, but not as enjoyable at normal road speeds (to me) -last pf run, I had a hard time keeping Stanley the stout behind me in my old JCW cooper S. Again, I’m no great driver so someone with more skills prolly will just love it. It is very obviously way more capable then me, whereas I felt I was getting close to the 86’s abilities.

anyway keen to hear others thoughts.
                          Last edited by Cliffordcliffs; 20-12-20, 09:26 PM.
                          "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
                            Response on one of the Facebook groups:

"Take your car back to the dealer, there's an active TSB out for the GR Yaris about this, the boost control solenoid isn't reacting fast enough in hot weather so it causes overboost, which in turn triggers limp mode. Fix is just a simple ECU software flash so it shouldn't take long"

and

"There's a bulletin for a software update. Your dealer should know about it"
                            I did think of that but assumed yours would have been updated already. Definitely contact the dealer.
                            I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperHoon View Post
                              Visited local track today which was out for a private hire. Took a couple photos but on the way rolled around it briefly.

Bit of a boat tbh

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
                              Saw you on the highway between Traralgon and Morwell on Saturday. Looks great on the road!
                              '60 VW Kombi Ute
                              '62 Morris Mini
                              '15 Audi S3 Sedan - SOLD
                              '10 G6E Turbo - SOLD
                              '99 RZ Supra - SOLD

Comment

Saw a white non GR one yesterday (brand spanners driven by a very young looking p plate chick), even the stock ones look pretty fat at the rear!!
                                Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X