Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Its a bit vibey but hardly worth sooking about in mine.

Can't expect it to be perfect with only 3cyl

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
      VF2 Redline Ute
      E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post

I've got the same vibration, doesn't bother me, but it is weird.
        Have you seen the thread on the gr-yaris forum? https://gr-yaris.co.uk/forum/threads...n.1728/page-20 (don't bother going through all of the pages). There is someone on there who has changed the rear diff and its made no difference to the vibration. The main complainant says on page 20 that maybe it could be to do with a bush which is getting checked on his car now.

Definitely doesn't feel like exhaust resonance, more driveline/chassis related. Fairly sure Nate's (the Lexus tech) car has some camber bolts (Toyota ones, not whiteline), wheels and tyres. Contact him on Facebook, he's a good guy, at least he'll tell you for sure whats actually modified.

Very happy to know they used the right oil!
        Yea, the vibration doesn't really bother me, it's just a bit off putting when you expect smooth acceleration and you're getting the whole back of the car / boot / back window vibrating at those revs. It was odd, the guy who greets you at Kedron (Ben) said something to the technician after we got back about unbalanced drive shafts but ultimately came back with the exhaust explanation.

Yea, I've been following the Uk forum thread, that's what sparked my interest as I noticed the vibration from day one so when I saw that some people were getting it and some people weren't I was a bit mystified.

Yea, Nate actually contacted me after I had my car in for the 1000km check up, nice guy.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
          this might give you a clue why the noise is different in different gears and when the rear diff is disengaged
          Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-04 062827.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	7258039
          Yea, unfortunately doesn't probably explain why some cars have the vibration and some don't.

Comment

you're welcome to have them tear your car to bits with no resolution before Toyota Japan come back with "sorry, it's by design"

Comment

It's by design that we designed 25 - 50% of the cars to have it? I never expected some random Toyota dealership in Brisbane to get to the bottom of the vibration issue but if it isn't logged it's never investigated. Toyota UK are apparently taking it seriously hence some bloke's diff change etc. Recalls never happen unless people log / raise the issue. So we'll see what happens.

Comment

I let my dealer know about the rear diff noise in mine, it improved a bit as it wore in, but with the 3cyl, different front/rear drive ratio's and minimal NVH reduction measures in the car you're always going to get vibrations etc

A firmware update to disengage the rear diff at light load is bout the only thing Toyota could do to appease those that can't deal with it
                Last edited by jasonp1977; 04-06-21, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Probably engine mount harmonics.
                  2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                  2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                  I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Mine doesn't do it.
                    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Probably a backlash tolerance thing in the driveline, the fewer power pulses per engine cycle the more likely shit like this will show up, throw a v6 in front of that driveline and you probably wouldn't notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
                        Probably a backlash tolerance thing in the driveline, the fewer power pulses per engine cycle the more likely shit like this will show up, throw a v6 in front of that driveline and you probably wouldn't notice it.
                        That was my thought.

But curious to see where it ends up

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
                        VF2 Redline Ute
                        E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Finally saw one in the flesh. Coming up behind it I thought it was a Smart for 2 but then realised the taillights were different and it was a bit too big. I can't believe how much it looks like a Smart.
                          If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Turn the radio up? Helps with any of my old shitboxes
                            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                              Turn the radio up? Helps with any of my old shitboxes
                              +1. My shitbox makes all sorts of noises and vibrations. Zero fucks given.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                                Finally saw one in the flesh. Coming up behind it I thought it was a Smart for 2 but then realised the taillights were different and it was a bit too big. I can't believe how much it looks like a Smart.
                                I can see how you would think that about a barina spark, but not a Yaris GR

Comment

Working...
                                X