No announcement yet.

Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks bloody brilliant. Small, turbo AWD hatchback is a bit of a niche market though, especially if only in manual.

I can see them being Audi S1 prices - $45-50k + ORC, and they'll sell approximately three of them if so.

Comment

If it costs more than a GTI it ain't selling.
      Originally posted by brasher
      TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

Could Tojo be getting there Mojo back? Glad to see some new Japanese coolness.
        I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Not bad

Comment

Originally posted by TJ View Post
            If it costs more than a GTI it ain't selling.
            Toyota reliability might make it sell ... realistically, it can’t be significantly more than a Clio RS.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
              Toyota reliability might make it sell ... realistically, it can’t be significantly more than a Clio RS.
              True - it's not Corolla sized so can't be GTI priced.
              Originally posted by brasher
              TJ is 99% African American.

Comment

I remember back to when the 86 got released we were all surprised with the launch pricing being lower than we thought it would be. I’m hoping this will be the same. Sureky it has to be around polo GTI pricing. Still a niche market like mrpurple mentioned.
                I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Depends, if it has 200kw, AWD and lots of other goodies it's a completely different segment to the Clio RS. I reckon it'll be at least $45k probably more.
                  If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
                    I remember back to when the 86 got released we were all surprised with the launch pricing being lower than we thought it would be. I’m hoping this will be the same. Sureky it has to be around polo GTI pricing. Still a niche market like mrpurple mentioned.
                    While this is true, there's sorta/kinda a precedent ... the Europe-only Yaris GRMN was about the equivalent of AU$45k, and it was FWD. However, it was also pretty manual-labourey, like an HSV, whereas this will be properly mass-produced.

Originally posted by Rona View Post
                    Depends, if it has 200kw, AWD and lots of other goodies it's a completely different segment to the Clio RS. I reckon it'll be at least $45k probably more.
                    I think the market struggles to put things outside of a 'box' based on perceived dimensions ... if it looks like a Yaris, I think potential buyers will struggle to see it as anything outside whatever segment the base Yaris lives in.
                    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 18-12-19, 08:00 AM.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

No way this is affordable. Look at Corolla pricing!!!
                      "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                      (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                      Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

I think the market struggles to put things outside of a 'box' based on perceived dimensions ... if it looks like a Yaris, I think potential buyers will struggle to see it as anything outside whatever segment the base Yaris lives in.
                        Also moreso Toyota will struggle to justify selling it without a huge profit margin.

A 1.2L AWD CH-R is basically a Yaris on stilts and is about $41k onroad. This'll probably cost twice as much as one of those to make so Toyota will have no interest selling it at less than $45k. What's more, 99% of buyers would probably feel like they get more car with a 1.2L CH-R because it's an 'SUV'.

Comment

General public won't even look at it because it's manual.
                          It's an enthusiasts car only, whether they'll actually buy it new and not wait to get one used is the real question.

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
                            Exactly - remember how we were all saying they would do something stupid like only offer it in automatic for $50k? Even though the Supra is expensive it's not $150k like it would have been at the height of Toyota Australia's insanity. I think they've gotten much better at this sort of thing over the last ten years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post

Also moreso Toyota will struggle to justify selling it without a huge profit margin.

A 1.2L AWD CH-R is basically a Yaris on stilts and is about $41k onroad. This'll probably cost twice as much as one of those to make so Toyota will have no interest selling it at less than $45k. What's more, 99% of buyers would probably feel like they get more car with a 1.2L CH-R because it's an 'SUV'.
                              That pricing is more to do with SUV tax than anything else, given the top of the range Yaris (with the same power output) comes in at under $25k...
                              Originally posted by Jim
                              I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                              What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Yes. Which gives you an idea on how much more Toyota make on SUVs. I wonder what the production cost difference between a Yaris and an AWD CH-R is? Presumably whatever the cost of the AWD system is - and they can charge $16k extra.

This is why most companies have next to no interest in selling performance cars - limited market, they're much more expensive to make and engineer, and you can make a load more profit selling SUVs at a premium to people who don't give a fuck about performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X