Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gussy View Post
    The GR4 Facebook forum was ok for the first few months. Now it's 99% full of actual retards acting like Karens at every opportunity.

With respect to the oil, definitely needs that LSPI that the GF-6A gives. There seems to be plenty of stories related to Fiesta ST's (older model) going bang from LSPI for example. My annoyance is that the dealer is being paid $260 for a basic oil change, you'd think at the very least they could do the basic search to check the oil type. Granted 99% of the cars they service are corollas and Hilux though where close enough is good enough when it comes to oil.
    You are in the oil game aren't you? A big issue I've seen on GTDI motors is the carbon buildup in the intake and the need for walnut blasting etc. Is there an element in the GF-6 A/B that helps prevent this?

Comment

while it would take a while to get useful comparisons, it would be interesting to see the ECU's "Knock Correct Learn Value" and "Misfire Margin" numbers between the GF-5 and GF-6A oil with the same engine/driver/fuel/tyres/driving style. You'd expect lower numbers with the oil that helps prevent LSPI and its all logged with the stock ECU

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

Its the particular GF-6A grade that they are getting hard about. That is what is recommended and I'm not sure there is option for others so these guys go bananas about it. I agree using the recommended oil for such a HO motor but fuck they're losing their marbles over it. And yeah I doubt Toyota would like you doing it yourself so people like Nastysven just source the oil and say "here cunt use this" to be sure.
        Originally posted by 23Kev View Post

The oil it specifies in the book is a very specific, high grade of oil. Viscosity is nothing special, 0W-20. There are very few oils that meet the standard (GF-6A), the Toyota/GR branded tin that nastysven linked to, plus (maybe available in ANZ), Mobil 1, Castrol.
        Doing your own changes won't affect the standard warranty (5 years) but Toyota do offer an extended engine warranty (+2yrs) if you do servicing through them. The standard pricing isn't too bad (IMHO) at capped $260 for 6mth/10000km service intervals, which includes ~$90 of this high quality oil. Some people have issues with that interval, but for the kind of car I think its ok.

Found this comparison between GF-6A and GF-5 which is quite interesting.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ID2_API_Spider_500x301.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	7306964
        Cheers for the learnings, blokes.

Comment

Originally posted by nastysven View Post
          Something odd. My service was 260 odd, and the oil and filter are over $100 alone.

I doubt every dealership has it sitting on the shelf.

I'll be going to the local guy, and supplying the oil from now on.

Tios fucking annoying that it comes in 4 lt cans and the car needs 5 (or what ever it is, you have to buy 2) The lawn mower hasn't complained when I used some on it's service lol.
          So $160 for a 30 min job ? Sounds about right
          Last edited by Sumodog; 26-10-21, 08:01 PM.

Comment

You are in the oil game aren't you? A big issue I've seen on GTDI motors is the carbon buildup in the intake and the need for walnut blasting etc. Is there an element in the GF-6 A/B that helps prevent this?
            No, I'm not in the oil game - must be someone else!

Unsure if the GF-6A would be able to help with the carbon buildup but interestingly the GR4 actually has 6 injectors. 3 port injectors for normal operation which would help with carbon build up and then under hard acceleration it switches to direct injection, so best of both worlds I guess.

Comment

Ok sorry someone on pf is. Yeah I wish my BMW had port injectors too. Just one would be fine to keep it all clean. Might do a water meth kit one day

Comment

Ok sorry someone on pf is. Yeah I wish my BMW had port injectors too. Just one would be fine to keep it all clean. Might do a water meth kit one day
                Is Seafoam just a Seppo thing for cleaning intakes and combustion chambers? Not safe for non Seppo types?

Years ago, I saw some pics of a JZ head that had been removed, and the owner had been running water/meth, and you would have sworn it was a new head and pistons...spotless!!

Comment

Yeah I’m not sure yet. The euro thing is to remove intake manifold and blast the ports and back of the inlets with walnut shell media. I hate the thought of it but BMW endorse it as maintenance I think so it can’t be too bad if done correctly.

I wanted to try the Subaru upper cylinder cleaner stuff but unsure if the injectors would like it? Should be fine but maybe not strong enough. Is the sea foam stuff like this?

yeah I reckon a nice periodic water meth spray pre throttle body is the best cleaner

Comment

Yeah I’m not sure yet. The euro thing is to remove intake manifold and blast the ports and back of the inlets with walnut shell media. I hate the thought of it but BMW endorse it as maintenance I think so it can’t be too bad if done correctly.

I wanted to try the Subaru upper cylinder cleaner stuff but unsure if the injectors would like it? Should be fine but maybe not strong enough. Is the sea foam stuff like this?

yeah I reckon a nice periodic water meth spray pre throttle body is the best cleaner
                    Im cynical by nature, so when I hear that removing the intake and blasting it with media is the dealers only option, I just think its a lot of work and cost, and surely there is a better easier cheaper fix, but Im not a BMW tech lol

Yes, Seafoam is pretty much the same thing, and so many people use it and swear by it. Obviously YMMV, but Im sure that if there was lots of cases of it damaging motors, the internet would be broken by the fb pages full of complaints. The most common gripe I have read is that is can cause mucho smoko from the tail pipe initially, leading some to believe the end of the world is coming....until it clears up

Or even pre turbo to keep the impeller nice and clean

Comment

I wish 1st in these was a taller ratio, and you got more boost in 2nd.
                      .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by Gussy View Post

No, I'm not in the oil game - must be someone else!

Unsure if the GF-6A would be able to help with the carbon buildup but interestingly the GR4 actually has 6 injectors. 3 port injectors for normal operation which would help with carbon build up and then under hard acceleration it switches to direct injection, so best of both worlds I guess.
                        Toyota has been doing this for the last decade seemingly with good results - its a wonder other manufacturers persist with DI only and the drawbacks that has
                        Originally posted by Jim
                        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Some more interesting reading on LSPI

https://penriteoil.com.au/knowledge-...t-is-lspi/1028
                          2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                          2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                          I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Plenty of engines that will grenade with the wrong oil spec, even in the right viscosity. Do a 5 minute google search on Astra 1.4 turbo engines breaking pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post

Toyota has been doing this for the last decade seemingly with good results - its a wonder other manufacturers persist with DI only and the drawbacks that has
                              Interesting, didn't know that. Cheers.

Comment

sooooo - has anyone made these sound any better yet? the lack of a soundtrack still has me butt hurt - jussayin

Comment

Working...
                                X