Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a mint idea!

1.2 turbo out of the Koba will keep weight down and AWD system will be heaps of fun, especially in the rally crowd.

I hope Toyota don't cock it up and want big coin for it.
    "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

No way it has the 1.2L in it if it's rumoured to be packing 200kw. I'd say it'd be a 1.6-1.8L Turbo.
      If in doubt power out

Comment

If the top of the range Yaris is $26k then offering this at $10k over that seems reasonable. I'd be ok with that price. Over $40k just seems too expensive for what is a small 3 door car, albeit with a decent bit of performance.

The market exists for this type of car, just see how well the i30N has sold...although there are lots of people hanging out for the 2021 auto to be released.
        I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Sorry but there is far more than $10k difference in the build price of this and the top of the line Yaris. Proper suspension, brakes, interior, drive-line would justify it being $15-20k more.
          If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
            The market exists for this type of car, just see how well the i30N has sold...although there are lots of people hanging out for the 2021 auto to be released.
            There's a lot more difference (and hence build-cost increase) between a cooking-model Yaris and this thing, than between a base I30 and the N ... and in the market where comparisons are made, the Yaris is the next size down so "should be cheaer than an I30N". It'd probably sell better if it didn't have a Yaris badge & was carrying a more CH-R--styled body.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

True, the step from an normal i30 to an N isn't huge, but is substantial. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens when the details get released on the 10th Jan and then speculate even more on the price that Toyota Australia put on it before the local launch.
              Still can't believe I'm getting excited about a Yaris...

Comment

Reading some more, reports in Japan Motor Magazine say it could be the 3cyl out of the standard Yaris, larger capacity and turbo. Could account for the v6 type sound heard in the videos. They quote power figures and stuff, but there is not much point reading in to them.
                Definitely sounds plausible to be a 3 cyl as the platform its built on is designed around that motor.

Comment

Unfortunately it will probably be a dissapointment - why can't Toyota build something to rival Golf R performance level ? Surely they have the know how...

Comment

Some of the articles from last month were mentioning a 3 cylinder engine, but what sort of capacity would it need to be to make decent power 1.4L 1.6L??

Comment

well the Yaris 3 cyl is 1.5
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...is-play-122212

I’m tipping it’ll never make it here.

Comment

TBH i think the JDM Vitz GRMN would be tough to beat - fwd but 6-sp man., 1140kg and near on 160kw

Click image for larger version

Name:	10101044_201806z.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	7099341
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
                            well the Yaris 3 cyl is 1.5
                            Really?? I've only seen 4 cyl ones

Comment

yeah as per Kev above the new model is 3 cyl 1.5 only

The 1/2NZ 4-pot thats been around since the Echo has finally gone
                              Originally posted by Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                                https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...is-play-122212

I’m tipping it’ll never make it here.
                                I could be wrong, but I think the prior GRMN was one of those hand-built low-volume Euro-market-only cars, like the FQ350 & FQ400 EVO’s they got ... UK price guesstimates could be based on the cost of that, and not taking into account full mass production?
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X