Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evaku8 View Post
    What's the general consensus from the PF crowd, do you think you'll be satisfied without the LSDs?

Mine will be a street car with perhaps an occasional track day if I have the time so I'm thinking being AWD it should be pretty good already. Fingers crossed... seems like about $5k for LSDs and someone thought the GR parts catalogue quoted approximately 20 hours labour to add the LSDs afterwards if required.
    Personal preference having had a high powered AWD car previously LSDs front and rear all the way. The lack of availability for a front LSD for my Caldina was one of the reasons why I ended up getting rid of it as the car especially when I was limited tyre size how wide I could go.

Even going from the standard torsen rear LSD to a proper mechanical clutch pack 2 way LSD made a big difference in that car.

Stock it's probably not needed but if you are going to mod it and take it to the track like it's designed for then it's a no brainer to want the LSDs. Personally I think Toyota will extend the discount and the Rallye pack will come in at $45k or so. This is not a $50+k at that price point you can get a Golf R etc.
    Last edited by Rona; 30-09-20, 01:35 PM.
    If in doubt power out

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
      Stock it's probably not needed but if you are going to mod it and take it to the track like it's designed for then it's a no brainer to want the LSDs. Personally I think Toyota will extend the discount and the Rallye pack will come in at $45k or so. This is not a $50+k at that price point you can get a Golf R etc.
      If the paperwork is "real" and there's truly a $10k discount from what it would NORMALLY take to get to market, they can't really do that.
      I have my doubts, though, and think that the "$10k discount" is playing games; which means there's hope, they know for example that they need to knock 30% off the price of a BMW to sell a BMW as a Toyota Supra.
      Last edited by Captiva Fan; 30-09-20, 01:48 PM.
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Was just having a quick chat to my dealer (who is looking after 8 GR4 customers) and mentioned that there will be up to a 10 month wait for the last of the 1000 ordered.

Buying the 2nd batch / non launch pricing with a long long wait would suck!

Comment

Originally posted by Evaku8 View Post
          What's the general consensus from the PF crowd, do you think you'll be satisfied without the LSDs?

Mine will be a street car with perhaps an occasional track day if I have the time so I'm thinking being AWD it should be pretty good already. Fingers crossed... seems like about $5k for LSDs and someone thought the GR parts catalogue quoted approximately 20 hours labour to add the LSDs afterwards if required.
          It's 100% a street car for me so I give no farks considering the price I got if for versus the cost of the Rallye / cost of fitting LSD's. I know there can be a very noticeable difference between a car with and without LSD's but for the 99.9% of the time I'm going to work / down to the shops / going for a Sunday drive with my kid it'll make pretty much zero difference, for me at least.

Comment

Agree on the LSDs. Thanks t would be nice to have the top level model and the badge, but the diffs would do very little. I’d end up changing the tyres anyway.
            I think the most I’ll do will be motorkhana type events. Maybe diffs would make a difference, hard to know until we drive it.
            I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Rona View Post
              this
              1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
              The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019

I promised to leave if Trump loses

Comment

At $40k this car is a steal for the following reasons

1. It's farken cheap
                2. Toyota warranty support if it goes wrong
                3. Trickle down mods from rally crew
                4. At $40k you're not scared to mod it with say, ohh I don't know, diffs?
                5. It's small enough to be easy to live with yet useful enough to be easy to live with
                6. Looks decent for a small hatch
                7. If you don't like it in the first three months you won't have an issue unloading it
                8. Should be decent performance for the coin, out of the box

I can't see a problem with buying one if your heart desires.

Comment

In the Focus RS' they reckoned the LSD made it less fun and only worth a tiny bit of time on the track by a professional driver. This could quite possibly be the same
                  CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

The focus has an over-driven rear spool with torque vector clutch for each rear half shaft so significantly different setup.

Comment

Toyota would be stupid to sell it for 50k for too long if sales die right off seeing as they have proven they can easily smash out sales at somewhere at the 40k mark... unless of course it is some kind of loss leader to raise the brand, and they don't actually want to sell the cars

I can't wait to see some mods to these to see them pushing 250kw or the like...would be hilarious.
                      your former friendly cambodian dictator

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post
                        I can't wait to see some mods to these to see them pushing 250kw or the like...would be hilarious.
                        Definitely interested to see how much leeway they've built into it, how far can you push a 1.6l 3cyl before it goes boom. Also how quickly people figure out how to tune the rear split to be full time as opposed to on demand.
                        Last edited by Luke352; 30-09-20, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I will probably end up putting diffs in it, unless the rallye pricing is cheap enough to sell and get another.

Local hillclimb punishes cars with open diffs.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
                          VF2 Redline Ute
                          E36 Track Nugget Project

'98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

Definitely interested to see how much leeway they've built into it, how far can you push a 1.6l 3cyl before it goes boom. Also how quickly people figure out how to tune the rear split to be full time as opposed to on demand.
                            Not much I'd imagine. These things would be pushing somewhere around 20psi to make what they're making, and meet current emissions targets.
                            The 1.6 in the Clio RS needed somewhere around 16psi to make 147kw, for example.

These things look awesome, but I just cant get over the 3cyl thing, seems a little unnatural for what they are.

Comment

it's a .5jz yeah?
                              .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

Originally posted by sssgtr View Post

Not much I'd imagine. These things would be pushing somewhere around 20psi to make what they're making, and meet current emissions targets.
                                The 1.6 in the Clio RS needed somewhere around 16psi to make 147kw, for example.

These things look awesome, but I just cant get over the 3cyl thing, seems a little unnatural for what they are.
                                17psi is what was stated before to get to the quoted 200kw.

Comment

Working...
                                X