No announcement yet.

Toyota Yaris GR-4 AWD Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dealer is loaning us the demo for half a day next week so we can shoot a video with it. Going to put it on the hoist and take a good look- anything anyone wants to see in particular? Going for nerd tech stuff as opposed to SupercarBlondie spec things

Comment

chain it to a bollard and rip 4wd skids

Comment

how bigger a turbo can you fit.
        .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

will a 2j fit?

Comment

Apparently it does. The same bloke that put a 2j into a new Supra has just finished his 2j conversion into a yaris GR

Comment

So I got my test drive this morning. Dealer slung me the keys and said to take it for an hour.

What a fucking riot it is! I had a smile on my face the whole time.

First impressions is that being 183 cm (6 feet) I thought I'd suffer with the seating position with everyone saying it was too high. I had the seat set on the lowest and it was fine, no issues. I sat in the back but had to hunch over slightly due to the lower sloped roof. Meh, no one will be in the back anyway so it doesn't bother me. The rear view mirror did seem unusually low due to the rake of the windscreen but once I got used to it, it was fine. Gear changes were great, such a nice feel. I'm concerned about the suede materials on the door cards. There was only 80k's on the demo I had but already I could see some dirty finger print marks on them. I can imagine they may be a headache with sunscreen staining from your arm etc.

Acceleration is great, not massively quick but enough for a tiny Yaris to be able to move far quicker than you'd expect. Fair enough the induction roar is piped in / perhaps fake, but it sounds epic inside as do the turbo whooshes.

Didn't get to test the handling too much as it was on back streets but it felt nice and tight going around roundabouts and a few very tight bends. Steering was also nice. Brakes were great. Pads must be very soft as there's been a few reports of loads of brake dust being left all over the wheels in a short time. Still, I'd rather good braking than having to clean off a little bit of brake dust. I loved the heads up display too.

Apparently mine gets in on December 9th and ready for collection a week later but we'll see. Very excited about it now.
              Last edited by Gussy; 13-11-20, 02:34 PM.

Comment

High praise from Chris Harris. It must be fucking good.

I'm so glad you ended up with one Kev.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Gats; 13-11-20, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Came here to post that same thing from Chris!
                  One thing I found interesting today, the 10/10 Top Gear (magazine) gave the car this week is only the 6th 10/10 from them. The other cars...
                  Porsche 918
                  McLaren P1
                  McLaren 675LT
                  Ferrari LaFerrari
                  Ferrari 250 SWB GTO

Pretty impressive company.
                  I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Well I'm guessing they gave the interior a 0 weighting then :p It is impressive company though, but what are the main highlights to put it in supercar territory?

Edit: found the review: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/gr-yaris
                    I notice they still haven't sold the 1000 initial allocation, as they are still advertised for $45k online.. am tempted, but timing is poor
                    RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post
                      Well I'm guessing they gave the interior a 0 weighting then :p It is impressive company though, but what are the main highlights to put it in supercar territory?

Edit: found the review: https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/toyota/gr-yaris
                      I notice they still haven't sold the 1000 initial allocation, as they are still advertised for $45k online.. am tempted, but timing is poor
                      If you read the reviews most of them say the interior is a bit shit. High seat and not overly supportive, hard plastics, analog dials (some say this is good), vision is not great. But, everyone also says that these compromises are perfectly fine because the rest of the car is amazing.

First 1000 have been sold, they were 40k. Next hundred or so are 45k. Seems they’ve actually sold about 3-400 at this price. Like I mentioned on the last page, you’ll be waiting at least 6 months to get a car if your order now. Don’t know if that helps the timing issue.

Comment

Should be going for a test drive in my local dealer demo tomorrow.
                        I'm guessing all these dealer demos that are now floating around will be going out at a discounted rate sooner or later, assuming you don't mind something that's likely been flogged for most of it's initial kms.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Terrorist View Post
                          Should be going for a test drive in my local dealer demo tomorrow.
                          I'm guessing all these dealer demos that are now floating around will be going out at a discounted rate sooner or later, assuming you don't mind something that's likely been flogged for most of it's initial kms.
                          I think it’s hilarious people think a few test drives on a public road are flogging. Or just get upset in general that a car sees redline. I drive my cars harder than any test drive would and TBH I subscribe to the school of hard run-ins anyway

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

I think it’s hilarious people think a few test drives on a public road are flogging. Or just get upset in general that a car sees redline. I drive my cars harder than any test drive would and TBH I subscribe to the school of hard run-ins anyway
                            I reckon the demos will do better lap times! lol. Speaking of lap times, looking at the facebook pages it appears all 1000 new owners will be taking these to the track!!! Can you just imagine all the carnage. Im keeping my distance from any GR i see circulating... haha. Will be fun though. Im thinking half are calling happy laps track days though so may not be as bad...

Comment

So what version do we get in Oz? It seems the Rallye is the one that is setting the world on fire, which is not the first 1000 models we get?

Comment

Originally posted by XXX19X View Post
                                So what version do we get in Oz? It seems the Rallye is the one that is setting the world on fire, which is not the first 1000 models we get?
                                We get something similar to the UK Convenience pack. Misses out on LSDs, bbs wheels, red brakes (same otherwise), different suspension tune. The Rallye will be the same as the circuit pack with all of the extras from the convienence pack. I wrote this on a thread on FB on my thoughts between the two versions and why the reviews for the circuit (our Rallye) and the one review in Japan for the normal one are so different.
                                I guess its entirely possible that the reviews are so different due to the different spec, but after taking one for a drive a couple of hours ago, my thoughts below. Bear in mind, I will only be taking it on a track maybe once a year, I may do gymkhana's or similar a few times a year. I'll definitely be taking it on mountain drives etc and it will be my daily driver.
                                - The tyres for normal every day driving were fine, I doubt I'd get to the limit even on a spirited drive. On a track I'm sure they'd make a difference.
                                - Same with the diffs, I was surprised that the front tyres gave a small chirp on a hard 1st>2nd change, but I think that's more to do with being in Normal mode and having 60% drive to the front. It may get a bit understeery on a spirited drive and again, it would absolutely make a difference on a track.
                                - Suspension, the car is as stiff as a 16 year old boy, I was AMAZED. I doubt a few Nm of stiffness in the suspension would do that much on the street, roll bar would probably make a difference (I didn't know about the roll bar being different).
                                - Wheels, maybe would add a little bit more steering feel being so light, but they are easily changed.
                                Would the above make such a massive difference in outcome of a roadtest? I dunno, but I don't believe so.

I think it actually comes down to what you are comparing it to and expecting from it. To me the JDM guys were expecting a super hard core hot hatch, with stiff, crashy suspension (like the Mini GP2 that they have) and they also potentially have some inherent bias to Toyota's (like mentioned by Andrew). Also, the dude that complained about the sound, needs his head read, it sounds awesome in the car! Lastly, they seemed like quite immature road testers and didn't know the car very well. The UK reviews were done by people who do this for a living and test 100's of cars a year. I know who I'd listen to, even if the car was slightly different.

My only concern now is that the CarAdvice team have driven the car and weren't overly happy, hence releasing this to "soften" the release of their review.
                                (damn, that's a long reply, sorry!).

Comment

Working...
                                X