Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting parked cars from bushfires

Let's say you had a few parked cars and a bushfire was a possibility, how would fire proof them?

I'm thinking get them in the air on stands as high as practical and get the wheels off.
    Then maybe some wet blankets over the top?

Anything else, or a waste of time?
    ​​

Insurance is my recommendation, especially if you can't move them to safety.

Not much else you can really do sorry.

Comment

From experience 475gsm Kevlar is fairly fire resistant, especially at 11 layers... plus side is it will also stop hand gun bullets up to .44 !!

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Go buy a heap of fire blankets and leave a sprinkler running over them.
        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Depending on how close to the flames they are - the heat may destroy them just as mush as if they caught fire.

A mate in Bellbrook (west of Kempsey NSW) lost his caravan (Totally destroyed) and he had a couple of rare(ish) motorbikes, Jetski and EH panelvan. He put them all in a 40ft container and they were all damaged beyond worthwhile repair through the heat, rather than the flames actually getting to them..

Fire is a cunt,
          Last edited by Southo; 03-01-20, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Maybe more about what’s around them? Get anything flammable out of the shed, drain the fuel and oil, move the spare wood, mow the grass really low, close gaps and vents?

Comment

Skip to 1.45 and then 3.33 to see old mates cars and tell me anything will help if you get properly hit. Mate filmed this at Bargo.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Bury them. Container or concrete lined space at least a couple of feet below ground level and well covered by non-combustible dirt. Dig them back up after the fire threat has gone.
                If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                  Bury them. Container or concrete lined space at least a couple of feet below ground level and well covered by non-combustible dirt. Dig them back up after the fire threat has gone.
                  Fucken A... don't be using combustible dirt....................

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Comment

Park them on bitumen or concrete, if flames can't lick at them or get under them, they have a good chance
                    Originally posted by Mr Purple;
                    What is with that smell every time you walk into an Aldi?

I'm assuming it's something to do with all the cardboard boxes. Smells like eastern Europe, the fall of communism and peasants.

Comment

Vacuum seal them and store in a pool, dam or lake.

Just watched that video, it's sad seeing those cars destroyed like that and everything else for that matter

Comment

One car will be in a garage, and two under separate timber carports so there's probably nothing much I can do anyway.

I'm in suburbia, but Bush is less than 2km away, so still at risk of an ember attack.
                        No fires near me at the moment. But who knows what tomorrow will bring.
                        Last edited by Sturmovik; 03-01-20, 02:16 PM.

Comment

clear the gutters, plug the downpipes with tennis balls, setup soaker hoses/sprinklers that you can turn on? to wet the cars (maybe even remotely)

Comment

Ive been trying to think of an Idea too.. have 4 cars (only shitbox fords but there mine) was trying to protect when the fires were coming through our town last week...I lease a semi bush property in the think of the fire front, house shed huge tank water.. and fuck all else.. I set up a deisel pump and hoses all around ...i parked one of the dailys in the middle of a dirt paddock the other 3 were in the shed but has trees and shit all the way round .... ???? not being my property hard to just totally remove all obvious fuel... is there a retardant that can be sprayed on an area to reduce the burn?

Comment

Geez, best of luck everyone.
                              "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Comment

Working...
                              X