X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car ideas, daily 10-12k which will tolerate some track use

Another day, another thread.

For the last 18 months I have had the 4c and the wife's car only. Getting to the stage now I need something I can drive to work, park in a hospital carpark and take to the shops without worry someone is going to put a trolley into the a side of it.

Initially I was going to get a new Korean thing with 7 years warranty and resign to boredom. The nopics suggested I instead get something a few years older that I actually enjoy driving and can take for hill runs, sprints, hillclimbs etc. The obvious answer is to use the 4c for these things but realistically I can't afford to write it off and seeing how often lakeside bites that's not too wild a prospect.

Budget is 10 to 12k. Up to 10 years old, manual preferred.
    Prefer hatch / wagon /sedan in that older. Can't really do another 2 seat convertible (rules out mx5).
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

some sort of RenaultSport Clio?
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

That's definitely on the short list, megane too. Just parts etc are pretty rich.

Comment

86?

Comment

Edit, saw no mx5 option.
          Last edited by mad_cow; 11-01-20, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Given what you already have tells me your budget could be greater and you mentioned Korean Boredom...so why not a new I30N. Still get that warranty even when you use it on a track.
            Seems an obvious choice imho.
            I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

I think an earlier version of this add mentioned that it was a technical right off that they'd bought back & reregistered (going from memory). Would that bother you, & could you get it on QLD rego.
              2005 Clio RS $13k
              https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6129563/?Cr=0
              It's over 10 years old & $1k over budget, but I can think of worse things to get around in.
              Last edited by Smudge; 11-01-20, 04:41 PM.
              He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everestís summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Comment

The ocd is high on that one!

Re: spending a bit more, it's an option but I need to grow up and buy a bigger garage (home).

Comment

my old clio 200 rs was a hoot (last of the manuals), never got to track it but know it would have been epic
                  i much preferred the ergonomics and looks over the 172/182 generaton

Comment

type R civics?

Out of age bracket and but would be within budget.

Comment

Focus XR5
                      BMW ​​​​​​130i

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                      2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Yeah definitely thought about the last model n/a type r but need to drive one. They get average reviews about the handing funny enough.

Comment

Something you’ll enjoy driving which meets all that criteria. Megane 250/265 for sure.

Comment

+1 Clio RS , either MK3 or MK4 and are pretty much throw on track and lap after lap and tons of fun , have an MK4 for a track toy and it never disappoint's

Comment

I would get the latest Megane RS or Clio you can in your budget. Suspect for 12K you will only get RS250's not RS265's even with higher k's.
                              A slightly left field option would be a 208 GTi, or 207 or 206? I remember noticiing these are I thought disproportionately cheap, given Peugeot's GTi reputation. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...18266357/?Cr=3 is quite new and would be in your budget after little negotiation.

Comment

Working...
                              X