Car ideas, daily 10-12k which will tolerate some track use

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apparrently the XR4 gearboxes all break and they are not easily replaced? something like that
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

It's a little older than 10 years, but DC5 Integra Type S. Faster than type R, doesn't attract as much coin, looks better (imo).
      Last edited by TMM; 28-01-20, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I had a similar position a year back and wanted something trackable but registered, and ended up with basically a DC2R in an EK Civic shell. Cheap, quickish and super reliable. If I did it again though, I'd be looking at an MX-5, 350z or an EP3R Civic for K20 fasts. Clio also looks good though, but not sure if I'd have the patience for something french. Personally I'd stay away from AWD cars if you want to have a good time at the track. They're boring at most circuits unless ridiculously powerful. Also, my slower Civic is heaps more fun than my WRX around a track.

I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to compromise on road comfort vs track speed - most of the road guys at the track always want to go that little bit faster.. and the cycle continues.

Comment

Originally posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
          You dont want a cheap 135i. They are ticking time bombs when it comes to their common issues. Fast and fun to drive when they are working though.

Volvo c30s arent as sporty as the xr5. They were geared to be more luxurious and niche sorta thing. They are reasonably quick, but bland to drive hard.

Left field idea. Mini JCW.
          I know the 4 cyl E87 is a big bag of fail, but what goes wrong with the six pots?
          Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
          my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Drove one of the 118i production racers once. Boring as batshit.
            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

I know the 4 cyl E87 is a big bag of fail, but what goes wrong with the six pots?
              Coils and injectors fail. Injector drivers fail.

Turbos and valve stem seals go faily regularly

electric water pumps fail.

there is the normal bmw plastic cooling system aids.

Most of the crown wheels are welded to the centres, so are a prick to install an LSD.

Turbos and intake packaging is a nightmare.

Alloy brake caliper pistons break when you start doing track work.

Great fun to drive when they actually work though.
              Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 06-02-20, 10:57 PM.
              Originally posted by Rdyno
              70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
              Originally posted by Tripper
              Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Working...
              X