X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VF1 vs VF2 SS

Long story skip if not interested
    i had a VY SS, and was looking to get something newer, was thinking a VE2 SS. Though as the time had started commuting 125km round trip and with 98 only $1.50 it was costing me $25 a day. So after seeing a VF SV6 interior and being surprised the V6 was semi capable and better fuel along with being cheaper went that way. Thought I'd be commuting for year or 2 but suprisingly got my transfer 6 months later and back down to 25km round trip.

So in the 6 months I racked up 20000km and so far liking the VF. Only been lowered a tad and some 20x10/11 X5 wheels and loving the wagon practically again.

After towing some stuff for my dad and he being impressed how it went and how much shit it could hold I joked they should buy it off me and I'll get an SS. A few weeks later they said they they would actually be keen in a few months.

​​​

​​​​​​So now the question is is the VF2 worth the upgrade/$$$ I know there was a thread when they were new but looking at peoples experience now. Budget hasn't been locked in yet, but not going to be looking top end of the market.
    i have been given an ok on condition that I keep it for 4+ years when I usually go through a daily in about a year or 2. But also don't see something else coming along that will be interesting to drive/ practical/ tow a car trailer in that time frame anyway.

​​​​​​​
    Firstly is there any big advantage of the LS3 other than the extra CC (reliability or features). Or other Large features or benifits.

Seems atm a base VF SS starts in high 20s, and looks like base models are exactly the same as my SV6 just with a V8

​​​​​​SS V
    seems have a bit more tech stuff like keyless, nav and full leather

Redline
    few more tech bits, fe3 suspension (much different to stock or slightly lowered fe2?) And front brembos only on the series 1?
    Do all the S1 redline have the cream interior? Or just option that the couple.ive seen have.

The VF2
    Is the bimodal exhaust actually ok if want a bit of sound occasionally or really still need aftermarket if want a lol more noise.

VF2 V
    Again full leather and few more tech bits

Redline
    all the goodies it seems best but of course $$$

It seems roughly like a series 1 redline about the same price as a VF2 base or roughly 10k for equivalent models series 1 vs 2. So is it worth the extra? If I am looking about the middle $$$ wise what would be the pick of the bunch

Lots to think about there, but here’s my experience having owned a VE SS and VF2 Redline, and driven a VF2 SS around NZ for a week.

The LS3 isn’t a massive upgrade over the L98/L99. It has a bit more performance all round, but we’re talking about a half second difference on all the usual tests. It does feel faster but it isn’t night and day. However, the VF2 exhaust makes it feel much more “V8” than the earlier models. I don’t think there’s any need for an aftermarket exhaust on the VF2 once you pull the bimodal fuse so the flaps stay open all the time.

The FE3 suspension is better than FE2. I thought the SS rental I had felt too soft and rolly for an SS and I wonder whether it was softened compared to VE. FE3 rolls less and feels firmer. Bear in mind these are still big, heavy and comfortable cars so it’s all in context.

The HUD is a good thing if you can get it, and the other Redline bits are nice. The Brembo brakes do a much better job than the standard V8 brakes, and are light years ahead of the “are we going to stop?!” V6 brakes.

I can’t remember what the SSV had over the SS but IIRC it didn’t get the Bose stereo (which is pretty good) or the sunroof.

The Redline seats are better - they still lack side support, but they have a greater range of adjustment compared to the SS and feel firmer than the cloth SS seats. I think that’s just the leather, because they’re otherwise the same seat. MY14 Redlines had a better seat with bigger bolsters.

Obviously the VF2 Redline is the best car overall but in terms of value for money that’s tricky. Personally I’d probably drive a VF Redline and VF2 SS and decide whether I wanted the Redline bits or the VF2 bits more if a VF2 Redline is out of budget.

Comment

Answering a couple of the questions which Captain_Slow didn't explicitly answer:
      (*) the full white interior is very rare in an SSV/SSVR, early years only.
      (*) the black with the silver/white ("titanium") highlights was standard until MY2015 when all-black was standard & the titanium highlights became an option, then for VF2 it was no longer offered at all. I agree it was jarring at first, but due to the light roof lining it's also more airy & open feeling than the full black (IMHO).
      (*) FE3 is no lower than FE2, just firmer & more controlled; note that VF2 FE3 absorbs bumps better than VF FE3 while also offering better handling.
      (*) if you're going to fiddle with cams & tune, LS3 is probably pointless ... most of the extra ~40kW for the LS3 is in tune & cams.
      (*) up to & including MY2014 have the booze-sensor inbuilt, in case you intend going a bit wild & crazy with a tune that can do E85/E100
      Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Cheers for the replys

Looking at wagon only so that cuts down on a lot of what it out there as seems to be about a 1:5 ratio in regards to numbers vs sedans. But looking at all the ones on carsales in NSW to get a feel for whats out there the guestimate of 10K difference VF vs VF2 does seem to be about 10k for same spec with similar km. with a 5-8K difference between a base spec and a redline.

Shame about the titanium high lights being standard as im def not a fan, but if I was going a S1 I would probably get a e85 one as the silvia is on E85 so makes an easy place to get rid of it if dont end up driving it much before it goes stale.
        Probably wouldn't do much mechanical, maybe a tune if it yield good bang for buck but that's about it as being daily Id probably never get around to it.
        Not looking for a load exhaust, so if the bimodal exhaust ust give it at least a bit of sound when you get on it would be enough for me.
        Wagon only so none of them get a sunroof or upgraded sound system.

Not looking to buy right now so not an issue, but seems not much around the mid 30s, kinda jumps 40 odd guess just try a few closer to when im looking and get a feel if any of the tech ect is actually worth it.

A VF2 redline would be ideal world stuff, but hard to convince no pics of a car that's 2-3 years old that cost more than her brand new car and nearly 3x what I spent on the SV6 hahah

Comment

I went through similar and ended up with an SV6. Top tip is to get either the SS Black (only 2016 I think) or the 2017 SS which is basically a Black. Has keyless, HUD, sat nav and the bigger wheels.

Comment

In old school terms - do you want the 308 or are you happy to settle for the 253 ?
            The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

Watch with the lower $$$$$, higher km base VF2 SS’ as a number of them will be ex cop cars.

S
              Have you heard??

Comment

So what will it cost for a LS2 to match/exceed LS3 performance? Just had a look on eBay and you can get an exhaust for under $1000, then it's just a matter of getting a cam and tune. $$$ ?

Was just thinking if there is a $10000 difference between the series 1 and series 2, then wouldn't it be better spending the $$$ on mods and then pocketing the rest?

It's only 200cc difference in capactity, not even a glass of water!

Comment

VF SS/V/Redline series 1 runs an L77, not an L98/99 or LS2.

I have a series 1 Redline ute and I'm still happy with it after 6 years. Whether it's worth the extra money for an equivalent series 2 or not is up to you but it's not like the series 1 is a hunk of shit if that's all you can afford. It just means 200mL less displacement and a little bit extra has to be spent if you want more power out of it beyond an exhaust, intake and tune due to the DOD delete kit.
                  Last edited by Wes Mantooth; 13-01-20, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I'm not unhappy with the current S1 SV6 more so just a S1 as is nearly double price of what I currently have. So if going that route might try to get something that at least feels a bit different whether it be gadgets or looks.

Not too fussed on what wheels it comes on as will be getting the 20s off the SV6 and most lolike the springs too, as happy how it's sitting in regards to lowered a touch but still practical.

A black/storm may be a good compromise as get some goodies for not a lot more. Actually seems that a SS V is the most common model out there ATM

I doubt it would ever get a cam, never got around to it in my vy. Seems like dailys get about 2 months of attention after buying it then just maintainence

​​​​​Also looking at lower but not super low km cars as if planning to have it a while don't want something that already 100+

Does the DOD Actually make that that much difference?

Comment

The DOD stuff works fine untill it doesn't. Then you're up for a full set of lifters, cam, valley plate and a tune.
                      If you're not going to go out and get all that stuff off the bat just leave it. Just be wary the DOD stuff fails more frequently than the standard stuff.

Comment

Have driven both extensively. VF2 is also keyless start if you would rather a push button start.

VF2 sounds good when your into it, no real need for an exhaust with the bimodal setup. VF1 were quiet by comparison.

Watch the high KM yellow #plated models as they will be ex NSWHWP. Some have had new engines fitted so you might luck out if you go that way. Some 2017 models managed to get to around 130k kms andhigher due to fleet changeover, they are easy to spot however.

Mate just traded in his VF1 ssv for high 20k so not bad value i guess for a trade in.

Comment

Brother picked up a really nice looking series one ssv wagon recently for what looked like a pretty decent price all considered, was a substantial sum cheaper than the series two models for sale (like $8k++ iirc)

He'll be slapping an intake and tune on it which will make most of the difference for $1.5k or so and the brembos for similar because the stock brakes are shithouse. Almost dangerously so. And his will be a daily so not too fussed/concerned about locking one of the "last ofs" away and making fifty million dollars like everyone expects or the extra couple cc and kw.

He didn't really give af about the other bits and pieces. Series two front bar does look better imo too but his is black so conceals the fussy details well.

the fe3 is a firmer revision of the fe2 and by all accounts rides and handles noticeably better.

Cliffs, whatever you do, get at least the 4 pot front brembos. I've had mine on my TT ssv since day dot, second day mod, and they are plenty good for a daily.

Comment

So I just went through all this with our buying cars shit.

Prerequisite was the following
                            Wagon
                            Towbar
                            Power
                            newish/low ks

So originally I wanted an R8 Tourer (I got a thread about it Commodore with Tupperware or something)
                            The boys are pretty much spot on.

I ditched the HSV mainly cause I couldn't find one I was completely happy with.

I drove a VF1 clubby figured it was ok.
                            The wife looked into heaps of them and we ended up with a 2017 VF2 SS Redline. If you had the cash to spend on it I'd definitely recommend it. The little modcons on it are pretty sweet (as mentioned above).
                            If you don't particularly care and the price wasn't right VF1 is perfectly fine.
                            From a Barra is lyf guy was hard to come over to LSjunk in my drive way. I literally have no regrets at all but. Really really enjoy driving it. Wife finds reasons to go for drives now. Didn't even do that when we built the Gemini...

I wouldn't bother with a VE anything if you're looking at a VF.

I don't know if this of help at all.
                            BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinschops View Post
                              Brother picked up a really nice looking series one ssv wagon recently for what looked like a pretty decent price all considered, was a substantial sum cheaper than the series two models for sale (like $8k++ iirc)

He'll be slapping an intake and tune on it which will make most of the difference for $1.5k or so and the brembos for similar because the stock brakes are shithouse. Almost dangerously so. And his will be a daily so not too fussed/concerned about locking one of the "last ofs" away and making fifty million dollars like everyone expects or the extra couple cc and kw.

He didn't really give af about the other bits and pieces. Series two front bar does look better imo too but his is black so conceals the fussy details well.

the fe3 is a firmer revision of the fe2 and by all accounts rides and handles noticeably better.

Cliffs, whatever you do, get at least the 4 pot front brembos. I've had mine on my TT ssv since day dot, second day mod, and they are plenty good for a daily.
                              Can you get the brembos that cheap?
                              did a Google and looked like was going to be 3k ish to get them all around. As was half thinking of getting a mid spec but at least doing the brakes if it worked out better

Comment

Working...
                              X