Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch import - asbestos declaration

I ordered a clutch online new sachs/valeo for a bmw and the shipping company are asking for asbestos declaration before releasing anything that means that i'm supposed to have done due diligence checks.

i'm fairly certain there is no asbestos as the BMW p/n says asbestos free on their parts system (just like brake blocks, head gaskets etc) but how would i actually prove this if they decide to audit?

anyone had anything similar?
    Last edited by E30is; 06-02-20, 01:08 PM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Find the sachs construction specifications. They will have something on their website or supply it if you contact them directly.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Does anyone even make clutches with asbestos anymore?

Get the MSDS (sorry Materials Safety Data Sheet) for the model of clutch you are importing. ZF (Sachs) might have something on their web site.

Comment

Problem being most countries have 1%= no asbestos whereas Australian customs has 0%=no asbestos.
        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

MSDS are usually pretty vague unless the goods are really dangerous or there is a high chance of someone eating/inhaling it. What you want is an MDS which gives you the exact breakdown in % of every element - this the manufacturer might not want to provide because the exact composition may be a trade secret. Worth asking if they can provide a certificate that specifically says that it doesn't contain asbestos though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            Problem being most countries have 1%= no asbestos whereas Australian customs has 0%=no asbestos.
            Perzactly...

You need a certificate that it's properly asbestos free from Sachs...

I've imported brake pads recently from the USA where asbestos pads are still legal and not had to provide anything so go figure..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

I order hawk brake pads from the US reasonably regularly and have never been asked for certification of being asbestos free. Last lot was ordered in November.

Comment

Probably a newbie customs agent shaped like Sheldon.

Comment

Nah they’re getting to this more and more - people in the UK who export cars have set up businesses doing certificates declaring no asbestos for export to Aus. We’re a bit OTT with this at the moment.

Comment

ended up getting the shipment, filled out a declation with some piss weak evidence and all good. i reckon any individual has SFA chance of meeting their actual requirements as written
                    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Comment

Yeah the Border Force controls have become pretty intense!

I work at BrakesDirect now and the frequency of Border Force stopping shipments of pads for testing is increasing.
                      It ends up costing us $1000's in scientific testing at our expense, always testing clean.
                      To compound this it seems to always happen with urgent shipments we airfreight only to have them sit with customs for 2weeks....

IT IS KILLING ME
                      '10 Forester Diesel 6Spd - Slow and sensible
                      '93 SWB Pajero - Slow but scary
                      '89 MX5 B6-T - Scary not slow

Comment

Rorge, you need to get onto ‘preclearance’ for customs for your urgent shit. DHL sort this stuff for us.
                        2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                        2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                        I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

I want to bring some brake pads back with me from the us of a in august in my lugage, is this going to be the same sort of problem?

Comment

Those cunts wouldn't even know what they were let alone even actually search the bag of a white man lol

Comment

In Brisbane they will......

But I probably looked like a homeless hobo when I lobbed in after 4 weeks surveying roads in Sumbawa and Bali.

The did ask about some coffee I had, but didn't bat an eyelid at the wooden cigar box with 26 cigars, only 20 more than what you are allowed, plus the two or three packets of Indonesian ciggies in the hand luggage

Comment

Working...
                              X