Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Street Tyre Recommendations

After some performance tyre recommendations for the new wheel setup on my S14 200SX.

Front 225/45/17 (8.5 inch rim)

Rear 255/40/17 or 245/40/17 (9.5 inch rim)

The car is not daily driven, so not too concerned with long life.

What the current hotness in performance street tyres?

Nankang NS2R
    Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I'm just gona go with the unpopular no doubt to be ridiculed suggestion if Achilles ATR2 because grip:cheapness ratio is on point, ie. the only thing lower than their grip level is their price.

Got an idea in budget? RE003 seem to be the hotness around here because MCM fanoboiz.

Comment

I have RE003s on a couple of cars and they're decent, especially if you can get them on special when they have a 4 for 3 deal.
        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

I had RE003 on a Golf R and they were great, and I'm not even an MCM fanboy.

Currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but on a C63S.

both are great tyres, although not sure the RE003 would stand up to the grunt of the AMG

Comment

Originally posted by tipper View Post
            I had RE003 on a Golf R and they were great, and I'm not even an MCM fanboy.

Currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S but on a C63S.

both are great tyres, although not sure the RE003 would stand up to the grunt of the AMG
            Wondered how the two compared.
            "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
            (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
            Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Advan AD08R or Hankook RS4s on 4 for price of 3 sale. Can go a 235 on the front if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by gmr View Post
                Advan AD08R or Hankook RS4s on 4 for price of 3 sale. Can go a 235 on the front if you wanted.
                Either of those - although I have slight preference for the Yoko's as they seem to have a smidge more grip.

Federal RS-RR's are worth your time - easily the most grip I've encountered in this price range by a good margin, but also require proper heat cycles to get their best.

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

I'm getting 2 of the Hankook tyres fitted on Friday, will see how those go. MY RE003 rears are bald, makes for a sketchy drive home. Have cheap "Ovation" tyres on the front. http://www.ovationtyres.com.au/vi-388-dsrt lol

Comment

OOPs posted this in the wrong section, mods please move to 'General'

Thanks for the suggestions, how are the cheaper Federal RSR and Nankang NS-2R tyres for road noise?

Comment

I currently am running RS4's on one car and RE003's on another - while different cars 1 FWD sedan and 1 AWD sedan - and I really rate the RS4's

Have driven on the new NExen NFera SUR4G and was surprised how well they gripped and wet grip. They will replace the RS4's in a month or two to see how they go long term

Comment

RS-RR are quite noisy.... But I have not had quite cars or tyres for a while

Comment

Pirelli Trofeo R.

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
                            I'm just gona go with the unpopular no doubt to be ridiculed suggestion if Achilles ATR2 because grip:cheapness ratio is on point, ie. the only thing lower than their grip level is their price.

Got an idea in budget? RE003 seem to be the hotness around here because MCM fanoboiz.
                            RE070 unfortunately only available in very limited sizes. 225 45 17 being one of them.

Comment

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-71R are available in your listed size and are meant to be sticky and not too noisy but also heat up quickly. So a good weekend street tyre.

Comment

Working...
                              X