Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had success getting compensation from council for car damage?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had success getting compensation from council for car damage?

Punters

Approaching an intersection this morning turning left (so looking right for oncoming traffic), I hit an unsighted, open manhole cover. By 'open' I mean the fucking lid was off the thing and 1.5m away, and I clipped the edge of the open manhole.

It's fucked one of my tyres (everything else OK thankfully), so now I'm having to get that replaced & alignment etc.

I'm going to have a crack at sending the bill to Qld Urban Utilities - any tips? I'm assuming it's floated away due to huge rain so they will probably try the 'act of god' card - but aren't those fuckers supposed to be attached somehow?

Yours in manhole covers,
    Roger C Ordia, Esq.

I think Cal had success with this sort of thing over a pot hole.

Comment

Cal got a new engine for his BMW by driving into a pothole.

As I recall there had to be a record of it being reported before he did it or something, send him a PM.

Comment

Nopics had a plasticine strength Alfa mag wheel replaced due to a pothole. Wasnt even too difficult Stopped, had photos etc.
        I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

https://performanceforums.com/forums...ucked-my-motor
          makeitpossible

Comment

They are supposed to be bolted down. You will likely get reimbursed as all utilities like that hate getting complaints about that sort of shit and that will be considered hipo incident as a potential for the public to fall into a confined space is a huge issue.
            CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

First thing, was it a sewer manhole or storm water???

Sewer go Urban utilities, stormwater go Council.

Easiest way to tell is look at the lid. Sewer should be marked as sewer, and are usually bolted down so its more difficult to go swimming in shit.

Then you can approach the appropriate authority and go all postal on them. In any case they should cover the costs of the tyre and wheel alignment and any other damage, just be prepaered for a fuck around and ducking and dodging up near Scotty from Marketing levels of avoiding responsibility.

Comment

Manhole is owned by urban utilities (confirmed by Council) so I'm guessing sewer then? Have pics but by the time I'd stopped somewhere safe, inspected damage (took tyre pressures a couple times), etc, I went back and a good Samaritan had put it back on. Still got pics.

Comment

WIth pics you should be right.

If you have any dramas, I may be able to get you onto the right person to yell at.

Comment

Thanks mate. A quick google reveals it is a 'Type M' cover which is for use below flood levels, and is supposed to have a minimum of 2 x M10 316 stainless bolts to keep the thing on. And is supposed to meet AS3996. I will throw this at them and see where it lands.

Comment

If someone has put the cover back odds on they won't have bolted it down, so still worth getting pics as there should be two holes without bolts.

Also the nonfeasance defence is not as strong as it once was, so if you keep at it they should pay up.

Comment

I know you guys have all been wondering what happened here

Went after Urban Utilities with a fairly weak case of why it was their fault (found some engineering drawings of the manhole cover design which indicated it should have been bolted), a photo of one fucked tyre and a letter from the tyre shop.

They told me it was definitely not their fault and I'm a shit driver for not watching where I was going but paid me $400. Better than a kick in the cock.

Comment

I ran over a concrete bollard that was in the middle of a round about in a shopping centre car park once. The steel anchor went through my tyre and fucked it. Got compensation for a new tyre and from memory they didn't even put up a fight!

Comment

Good result Stromlo. For a small outlay of your time you’ve recovered some compensation.
                            2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                            2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                            I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Working...
                            X