Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about Carplay stereos

After driving a couple of hire cars with Carplay head units, I'm starting to think about it for the Kluger. Wanting something that can do two phones (one at a time) but nothing fancy.

Supercheap has this JVC 6.8" unit for $345 which seems reasonable: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...bt/571315.html

That is probably going to need a bunch of wiring adapters though for getting the steering controls and reversing camera etc to work. (Aerpro want about $150 for the fascia and $150 for the harness adapters)

Then there is this sort of universal 10" Android unit that is a 'custom' fit for the Kluger, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-And...8/113326646575

Theoretically that comes with all of the cables and the like, plus a slightly larger screen.

Anyone used either, or is something else the go?
    Last edited by takai; 14-02-20, 07:08 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Can’t help with recommendations; except to say that I’ve not done so well with generic random Chinese eBay stuff.
    JVC is fine from this POV, but get a brand name.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Kabab is one of the cheapest suppliers of all the Aerpro shit you’ll need to plug and play - but even then Aerpro won’t make it easy.

supercheap are close to the most expensive supplier of the Aerpro stuff, and it’s all special order anyway so save some bucks and buy it wherever the price is best.

At a guess you’d be up for DIN cage, Toyota to ISO, ISO to JVC with Steering wheel adapter plus any Antenna or CANBus adapters plus the Fascia kit.

conversly eBay roulette with an android number 1 best kwality carplay unit may be with a success or an epic waste of $. Surely there’s some weird beard Toyota knowledge of which android things don’t suck?
      ---
      Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Yeah, the Android unit in the Hilux was a real roulette on whether it was good or not. Went through three before we got one that was any decent.

As for the Aerpro gear, its 2x$160 ish from ASS website price (parts CHTO15C and FP8341 for reference).

That still only gets you a 7" LCD though, which is kind of sucky.
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

A lot of the generic yumcha android head units have fuck all ram, and claim to run the latest version

you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

Originally posted by Tripper View Post
            A lot of the generic yumcha android head units have fuck all ram, and claim to run the latest version
            Yeah, that one is claiming 4gb of RAM and Android 9

Most seem to be roughly the same as this https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/a...der-2014-2019/
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget

Comment

I've been waiting on a deal for a cheap Android auto unit - this is a damn good price, but I was burnt by JVC in the past for cheap and low powered internal amplifiers (none of the punch that Sony and Pioneer seem to push out)
              Anyone know if they are still rubbish - or have they improved?

Obligatory skid pic

Comment

My previous 2 x car stereos were JVC. Would bang again.

having said that, that was like 4 years ago and like 12 years ago now that I think about it.
                Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Does the Kluger have a din sized hole? Kenwood make Toyota specific units to suit the weird size they use.
                  kenwood/JVC are the same company.
                  I’ve had a few JVC headunits and now have a kenwood CarPlay unit. All have been great.
                  I considered an android unit before I bought the Kenwood. The feedback seemed to indicate crappy audio compared to the brand name stuff, and random glitches. The Kenwood interface is perfect. No glitches or freezing.

Comment

+1 on the Kenwood units.
                    Originally posted by The Property Guru
                    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
                    Originally posted by oxy
                    No, that's asians
                    A80 Supra
                    80 Landcruiser

Comment

Kenwood 9019DABS here.... Overall it's a great unit, but I use it with ext. 1tb drive (FLAC) and Android Auto so can't comment on the CarPlay features. Biggest complaint? The font size when listing the drive contents, as it displays about 5 lines to the full height of the head unit and no option to adjust. Functions under AA are great, sound quality and the DSP in general is pretty good. Doesn't crash and is very responsive, definitely a great touchscreen.
                      PF Gamers List

Originally posted by klampykixx
                      if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

Comment

Bought a entry level JVC carplay unit for my brothers car, our one had support for 2 phones to plugged in, i didn't think most other brands had 2 phone support so best to check.

Comment

For Toyota 200mm wide units Kenwood 919WS or Pioneer AVHZL5150BT . Standard double DIN units will need a fill panel (JVC KW-M950BW comes with 200 fill panel included - JVC is owned by Kenwood which is why Kenwood units are actually ok.)
                          Last edited by Sumodog; 15-02-20, 05:06 PM.

Comment

So I picked up one - it came with the 200mm fill panel too. It works great, snappy interface (meh layout) and good sound control and configuration

Managed to flatten my battery fitting it though, so that's a problem to sort out tomorrow.
                            Obligatory skid pic

Comment

Nah, its not a standard 200mm one, some weird thing which has the air vents clip into it too:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Toyota-Kluger-105.jpg?width=1024&height=683&aspect=pad.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.5 KB ID:	7113801

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	278.1 KB ID:	7113802

Sweet pain in the arse.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                              X