Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boothy.com 3 Melbourne councils to refund nearly $20M in parking fines

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...96a1c0e0055b1d

Three Melbourne councils will have to refund almost $20 million in parking fines after it was found they were unlawfully issued.

Glen Eira, Port Phillip and Stonnington councils will refund more than 200,000 fines after the Victorian Ombudsman Deborah Glass found they acted “contrary to law” when they outsourced the review of their parking fines to a private contractor between 2006 and 2016.

“The legal issues have not been tested in court, so I cannot definitely determine the lawfulness of the councils’ actions,” Ms Glass said on Tuesday.

“But I can express my opinion, which is that the three councils acted contrary to law.”

The councils, which take in popular areas including St Kilda and the Chapel Street shopping precinct, have disagreed with the Ombudsman’s findings but have agreed to pay back the money anyway.

Will they post the refunds back in the original box?

Comment

#cunts
      Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Comment

does this set a precedence in other states?
        www.markpakula.com
        2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
        2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
        2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
        2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

"We're confident its not illegal, but we'll refund the fines anyway". Pretty sure they dont want a precedent set in court.
          Originally posted by ahabthearab
          If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Its happened before at the docklands.

Was a few million there too IIRC.
            .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Comment

if I understand it -its only if you contested the fine - as the councils used a private contractor (tenix) to review and make a judgement on the fine , when you lodged a contest

a private contractor had no power to do that.

so if you didn't contest then tuff shit. if you did and were rejected = hello money back

at end of the day the council wont lose money - the rate payer will pay …..cunts
              Last edited by 9triton; 25-02-20, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sathanas View Post
                "We're confident its not illegal, but we'll refund the fines anyway". Pretty sure they dont want a precedent set in court.
                Yeah. Nice of them to just hand out 20 mill out of the goodness of their heart!
                Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Working...
                X