X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boothy.com Politician wants overtaking exempt from speed limits

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/vic...g-speed-limits
    Liberal Democrat MP for Northern Victoria Tim Quilty is calling to change the Road Traffic Act and make it legal to exceed the speed limit while overtaking while on a highway with one lane travelling each way.

The reasoning, of course, is to have less time spent in the incoming traffic lane. During his time presenting his case, Quilty used the often-repeated point ‘drivers should pay attention to the road, not the speedo’.

But Minister for Roads Jaala Pulford responded to Quilty’s case by saying “the Government will not be supporting this… because the short answer is we’re in the business of driving the road toll down, not up.”

People will do it anyway. Because it makes logical sense. Victoria is not about to jump off that revenue stream
    Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Jaala Pulford can fuck right off then, with inattention while driving (*cough mobile phones*) a major cause of crashes these days, and going a little faster has been proven to positively impact how much attention people are paying while driving then she'd be helping by adding a few km's on top.
      Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Her comment signifies all that's wrong with the rules surrounding speeding etc.
        CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Is there some way I can out money towards supporting this?
          Originally posted by myshortyboomba
          I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Didn't the NT re-introduce speed limits to highways in the face of evidence, hold firm while more people died immediately after the change, then continue to do nothing about it? I put as much faith in them as the the Monash accident center
            Originally posted by ahabthearab
            If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Comment

Just like with guns the majority have been indoctrinated to think that 'speed kills' so 99% of politicians are happy with the status quo. Geez we are a brain washed mob of sheep.

Comment

It'd be extremely unsafe to overtake under the speed limit to be fair... this would just be a logic call.... but politically probably won't ever happen
                Find your Freedom
                Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

I think half the problem is writing a piece of legislation that will actually work... how do you write something that is enforceable and defendable in court. '"I wasn't speeding officer, I was overtaking" while doing a buck 60 on the wrong side of the road.

Comment

Will never happen. Governments passing legislation on common sense! Will never happen!

Absolutely fucking stupid that it isn't already law. When I was younger (not sure what the law was then) but the standard practice when overtaking was to accelerate and pass quickly and safely. Now it takes forever to pass some dumb cunt doing 90 in a 100 zone as the dumb cunt speeds up as soon as you go to pass the dumb fucking stupid fucking cunt!

Comment

"Business of driving the road toll down" - interesting choice of words. Don't even think it's a slip of the tongue but just an idiot that happens to be a politician debating the point put forth.
                      Quickly and safely doesn't compute either. Instead everyone queues up with less than a second gap, actually much less imo. Apparently this is safe.

Comment

No matter how the politicians spin it it's such a stupid fucking law. Goes completely against any basis in common sense. It is infinitely more dangerous any way you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sathanas View Post
                          Didn't the NT re-introduce speed limits to highways in the face of evidence, hold firm while more people died immediately after the change, then continue to do nothing about it? I put as much faith in them as the the Monash accident center
                          Most of the deaths were drunk defence members in Darwin. Also you won’t get a ticket for speeding whilst
                          overtaking, I regularly go over 180kph when overtaking roadtrains

Comment

I thought most road fatalities in NT were due to alcohol, overloaded vehicles and lack of seat belt wearing members of the indigenous population.
                            Last edited by Sturmovik; 12-03-20, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                              I thought most road fatalities in NT were due to alcohol, overloaded vehicles and lack of seat belt wearing members of the indigenous population.
                              The year that speed limits went there was a spike in city road deaths.

Comment

Working...
                              X