X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations-Nissan X-Trail Diesel

Hey All,

The Colt has served its purpose as being the station car, small, easy to drive and frugal on petrol but looking at getting another SUV, as the missus feels safer "high up", compared to the Mitsubishi Colt (fair enough).

Looking at something fairly new (new than 2010) and budgeting $7-8k (but as always less is best). Browsed Subaru Outback, Subaru Liberty, Ford Kuga but found a 2011 Nissan X-Trail Diesel that seems to tick the boxes (complete log books, good condition in and out, no tow bar (I'll add one myself later)) .

Anyone have thoughts on this and things to look out for? Worth getting a mechanic to give the once over?

Do you feel like rolling the dice on a diesel Renault?

Comment

When you put it that way, not really. Do they fall apart generally?

Comment

On ebay, injectors are $500 each and pump is $3000.

Comment

Why a Diesel? We used to have a early 2.5 petrol X Trail Ti and it was a brilliant car. It felt more like a proper Nissan like they used to make than the new ones imho.
          Lots of interior space for the size of the car as well.
          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

I agree with the “why diesel”, our housemate’s petrol one used family-hatch amounts of fuel, a diesel would obviously be less but unless you’re doing >50k km per year I can’t see it’s worth getting diesel.
            As an aside, she had it for 12 years & ~180k kms, the only thing that went wrong with it was a funky noise in/near the gearbox which turned out to be ‘cos the retate who replaced the clutch hadn’t tightened one of the bolts properly.
            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 21-03-20, 08:31 AM.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

We owned one from new (top spec 2012 diesel with all the options) and had it for 6yrs with zero issues. I liked it as it wasn’t overly massive but you can fit a shitload in them being a squarer design compared to later SUV’s which all seem to have small boots and sloping roofs (unless you buy something really big)

Interior faired really well considering we have kids/dog growing up while we owned it. They’re also decent off road with selectable drive modes, do well on the highway etc. I used to get a laugh stalling ours up at the lights and launching it, was half decent for what it was and could get along ok. They have that traditional diesel turbo feel where it takes a second to get off the mark - that’s about all I could pick. Rae diff can whine but only if the oil level isn’t right which is kinda to be expected.

Alternative would be a similar age Santa Fe, we hired one in NZ when we owned the Nissan still and it was great, but less room but drove more like a modern diesel (which is more like a Petrol engine)
              Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Throttle input is transfered to the engine by carrier pigeon on the diesels. If you want to drive at any more than crawling pace you'll use as much fuel as a petrol.

If it is a runabout doing short trips I'd avoid diesel, the above is enough for me to avoid most modern diesels though.

Comment

Thanks, might drop it off the list. Was impartial to the diesel option, just what was on offer at the time. Not doing much highway driving just a 20km daily commute each way for work.

Been browsing a bit and might be interested on the Ford Kuga now. If I up my budget to $8.5k can probably get 2013-14 mid-spec model. This is for the 2l turbo diesel.

Any views on these or any better alternatives?
                  Last edited by andyman1908; 21-03-20, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Just “hell no” if it’s the dual-clutch transmission; I have no idea whether they were, or whether they sold them here in manual form.
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

The dual clutch in the diesel Fords were OK, wet clutch system vs the dry clutch the petrols had.

Comment

Oh maybe look at a first gen Kuga with the 2.5t Volvo engine.
                        Can be easily upgraded to 200kw+

Comment

I'd go for the Octavia vrs if it was my choice, this car wont be looking for any power upgrades. Just want something that wont go bang in 6 months time.

Comment

I've owned a few T31 diesels as company cars, in fact we still have one that's up to 200km.
                            No issues apart from the usual consumables, ac compressor recall (warranty) and a set of control arm bushes. Diesel is heaps better than the petrol but you do change gears all the time with the six speed.
                            never driven an auto

Comment

Not many people know this, but the Xtrail is actually the true spiritual successor the GTR 34. Can't go past them for reliability and performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X