Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silicone on 3 piece wheels

So done about 3 sets of wheels over the years and usually just use Sikaflex. But last few sets seem to to get getting worse and worse results with slow or quick leaks. Combined with using too much or not enough, then having to put too much over the top.

Anything thing in particular people can recommend that still easily available but does the job particular well?

Where are you running the silicone? not putting it between the flanges of the pieces are you?

Clean surfaces, bolt together, run thick bead of RTV flange sealant along the seam on the bead side of the wheel is all ive ever done and they seal fine. Never put anything between the pieces that are bolted together, just on the joint.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 26-03-20, 12:52 PM.
    Originally posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatr View Post
      Where are you running the silicone? not putting it between the flanges of the pieces are you?

Clean surfaces, bolt together, run thick bead along the seam on the bead side of the wheel is all ive ever done and they seal fine. Never put anything between the pieces that are bolted together, just on the joint.
      Yup

Old sealant off
      ​​​​​​wire brushed and cleaned all the surfaces
      ​​​​​​bolts in and torqued up
      clean again
      Masked up either side of join
      Silicone down and then run finger over it to push into Grove more

Still inconsistent results

Comment

Are the surfaces flat? Could get them surface ground, or ghetto a surface plate from a sheet of glass on a flat table and some 1500 grit wet/dry glued on.

Maybe try some gasket spray between the mating faces, like Hylomar or copperspray?
        Last edited by da9jeff; 26-03-20, 01:06 PM.
        Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

There''s been lots of efforts to make them airtight over the years, O rings and rubber gaskets among them, but straight silicone on the top of the join as you're doing seems best. 3 piece wheels can be leaky in other ways though, not unusual back in the day to get the thinner shells dressed on the spinning lathe frequently after just track use even.

If they're aluminium, I'd avoid a steel wire brush - unless stainless. Not familiar with all the sikaflexes, they should be neutral cure in that case too.

Comment

I used hylomar on the faces, assembled and then used polyurethane sikaflex. Been good for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by (Locky) View Post

Silicone down and then run finger over it to push into Grove more
              Im sure you are - but just be careful with this. Ive never done a set of wheels, but in any construction work - sikaflex or similar should be 'tooled' off - ie use a flat scraper (and a lube - 30% dishwashing liquid) or similar to finish the surface.
              In your case its not so much about the finish of the sika, but just to be careful that you aren't thinning areas out whilst pushing it in with your finger. If you aren't using any sort of a lube - then you may sort of be ripping it apart as you go over, hence the dishwashing liquid. (same use of a lube applies to silicon in showers, baths etc).
              Not sure if you do, but its best to give it a smooth off before removing the tape, and then give it a quick finish once the tape is gone - just to eliminate any lifting from the tape being removed.

Comment

Hylomar is good stuff.
                loctite 575 also.
                permatex aviation sealant
                2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Id be using acetic cure silicon, something that actually bites into the alloy
                  Natural cure will just peel off
                  List of cars goes here

Comment

check out a barrel bros vid on youtube
                    www.holditflat.com

Comment

I had a set of Work 3 piece wheels that leaked and I tried all of these things. The only way I could seal them in the end is to use orange 3bond on the faces and then a bead around the join. They never leaked again.

Comment

Neutral cure silicon is what most people use including me, threw away the BBS O-ringed plate that went between the shells.
                        I had a few fast leaks early on due to the nylocs melting then backing off, went to Binx nuts and was all good after that.
                        Like others have said, clean well, bolt together. Fill in with NC silicon, soapy water to finish evenly and smoothly, I left mine for at least 2 days before mounting tyres.

Comment

Thanks everyone
                          guess just give another crack but make sure I used the soapy water

Just annoying as fuck when don't have a tyre machine and no way to check for leaks till it's too late

Comment

Working...
                          X