...How much pain is a ~05/06 BMW X3/X5?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbour just bought an immaculate, high spec Disco 3 with 170,000km for $11k.

Seller even had the timing chain replaced as part of the sale.

Comment

Just looked. Disco 3 and 4 seem to have had the ass fall out of there prices! Like Disco 4 with 3 liter tt Diesel and 150k on it for mid 20's!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Well...

This has taken an interesting turn...

After thinking it through I've realised there's a few sensible choices....

If I want 4wd and 7 seats...
        Petrol Prado (don't do enough km for diesel to be worth it)

If I want 5, probably a Jeep...

Or maybe.... After reading Mr Purple damn thread on his stupid Valiant... It has definitely stirred something inside me... So started looking at the least practical solution to "more than 5 seats".... A Valiant.... It's something I looked at 5-10yrs ago... But maybe I should reinvestigate now... Looks like sub 20k would get a really nice one with all the work "done"... Damn you Mr Purple! (Mine would be a normal one and wouldn't look anything as nice as yours...but the plus is that as the kids get older than can maybe help me fix it ..maybe).

Comment

I saw a WH Jeep with the extra seats in the back recently, can't remember where I saw it, but looks like you can get them, probably rare as though.

Comment

Not many people cross shop X5s and Valiants.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
              Not many people cross shop X5s and Valiants.
              I like to be different...

Main concern with the valiant was going to be "will it last"... As long as I get a good example...it's already lasted ~55 years. Seems reasonable to assume it'll keep going... I must say it is a very very different target market to the X5... I'd love to have a nice v8, etc in it one day, but very unlikely I'll spend that much!

Comment

Originally posted by nutttr View Post
                Or maybe.... After reading Mr Purple damn thread on his stupid Valiant... It has definitely stirred something inside me... So started looking at the least practical solution to "more than 5 seats".... A Valiant.... It's something I looked at 5-10yrs ago... But maybe I should reinvestigate now... Looks like sub 20k would get a really nice one with all the work "done"... Damn you Mr Purple! (Mine would be a normal one and wouldn't look anything as nice as yours...but the plus is that as the kids get older than can maybe help me fix it ..maybe).
                Glad to have been of service! As an added bonus a $20k Valiant would probably be loads more reliable than a Jeep as well. Get a wagon and you'll have loads more space too!

As an added bonus - my plan is that the first time I have to pick up multiple kids from school sport I'm showing up in the Valiant, which will guarantee I never have to do it again.

Mine's probably done more offroad mileage than pretty much every Jeep in the country as well:

Comment

Fuck the Valiant and get this.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6359234

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
                    Wow... Nice land barge!

But it's left hand side so I definitely can't buy it... That's definitely the only reason I can't buy it​​​
                    Mr Purple - I figure even with the sedan I can probably come very very close to getting a bike in the boot or back seat... They are big cars!

I expect for 15-20k I can find a 99% rust free "original condition" type car... There's one advertised by a "mechanic" for 18k that looks awesome. I'm not sure it's actually worth that much, but does look like he's spent a lot of his time sorting it ..

[Edit - this thing:
                    https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6605102
                    ​​​​​​]
                    Last edited by nutttr; 31-05-20, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Haha interesting pivot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                        If you go XC60, avoid a turbo 6cyl ... quite disastery.
                        Don’t recall if they made them with the Volvo-badged version of the nasty Ford dual-clutch, be aware I guess.
                        Really...first I've heard. The T2 and early T4's (pre May 2011) sometimes had oil consumption issues but otherwise the B6304T4 is considered a decent engine.

Comment

^ There’s no single problem that persevered from the get-go to the end of the Whiteblock 6 ... and the problems aren’t always with the engine itself (in fact they’re mostly not), eg. at some stage the ‘box fitted to the turbo 6 had Problems that no other Volvo being sold at the same time had. But overall, the turbo 6 cars almost always had some problem or other.

They kept claiming the new one was good; then the V60 T6 gets bought by your mate’s mate & it spends most of it’s next 2 years at the dealer & the dealer even complains about the number of recalls on them.
                          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                            ^ There’s no single problem that persevered from the get-go to the end of the Whiteblock 6 ... and the problems aren’t always with the engine itself (in fact they’re mostly not), eg. at some stage the ‘box fitted to the turbo 6 had Problems that no other Volvo being sold at the same time had. But overall, the turbo 6 cars almost always had some problem or other.

They kept claiming the new one was good; then the V60 T6 gets bought by your mate’s mate & it spends most of it’s next 2 years at the dealer & the dealer even complains about the number of recalls on them.
                            The DCT's were shit I'll give you that, but the normal aisin autos are fine and will handle way more power than the T6 has as long as you don't launch them hard at power levels above stock. But my T6 has been fine and on the pages I've been following I've seen no engine related issues. The power steering gets noisy on some, the aircon compressors apparently all fail around the 150k mark, and some people have had the steering rack start leaking, but that isn't specific to the T6 those are issues that effect all of them. Apparently one of the diesels engines is a bit of a dog but never really looked into which one specifically.
                            Last edited by Luke352; 01-06-20, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

Really...first I've heard. The T2 and early T4's (pre May 2011) sometimes had oil consumption issues but otherwise the B6304T4 is considered a decent engine.
                              By comparison my 390,000km 265 hemi didn’t burn a drop of oil the whole time I owned it.

It’s hardly even a competition!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                                By comparison my 390,000km 265 hemi didn’t burn a drop of oil the whole time I owned it.
                                Hmmm ... does the Valiant Owner's Club force people in this situation to install an oil-injection system into the exhaust?
                                What did they do to people who'd been warned & still drove around in a Val that wasn't blowing oil smoke?!?!
                                Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Working...
                                X