Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there another alternative to commercial ute door mirrors?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there another alternative to commercial ute door mirrors?

Was just wondering if there is an alternative to the mirrors you see on commercial one tonner type utes. Mine seem to move around a bit, well the drivers one is not much of a problem, the passenger one is harder to adjust being that I am not in close proximity to it.

I would rather the ones mounted in the corner like every other car but in doing so I am left with holes in the door and some nutserts. Are there any better alternatives around?

This is not my vehicle but just an example of what I am on about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BxYMw6S0anHPhWzXz8e6YrHss02h1hLXckCPeldUQ4r71g3ir4E7vnSte3F6PLeSbWs2IkHjMhzGfaIYNRxFqQWcuD0URmOR7FWSTIWsTBqWNM-sAn4M6YnEsEoftgj3WPnIrbEoUlstbPnslWqwk0bDaPnZdIw0PMiX.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	7144247

Using the ones you described on that ute would be illegal due to the obstructed view from the tray. Ignoring that non commercial mirror suck balls on a tray back ute

Comment

my 4x4 ute did this too
      don't pay genuine prices for replacement
      find equivalent Britax (sold at Truckline, eBay etc)... will come good

Some Britax mirrors complete with arm are crazy cheap, but can usually find OEM size but for much less since they supply alot of OEMs too
      eg replacement LH side genuine Ford Mirror was $220, equivalent in Britax was $80.. the genuine one had the Britax logo on it too

you can dodge up (see American hot rod/vintage car websites) by injecting the ball-mount with loctite etc but it's a temp fix
      2005 audi a3 turbo manual quattro

Comment

I had the same issue with some cheap replacements on my Hilux, I found cranking the shit out of every bolt/screw helped. The two screws where the balljoint it needed to be FT.

Anyone know where to get cheap convex square ones of these? My replacements and flat and I can't see shit.

Comment

How do the newer tray back utes get away with the standard type mirrors? Is it because the cab width matches the tray width or something? I know my tray is wider than the cab.

I am on my second set of cheap replacements. I might try the loctite thing.

These are what I have at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSA...7bfa2ef618b55a

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
            How do the newer tray back utes get away with the standard type mirrors? Is it because the cab width matches the tray width or something? I know my tray is wider than the cab.

On our company hilux's there is a spacer added between the mirror and the door to move it out two inches or so.

The other grey nomad option is Clearview towing mirrors

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post

It’s because the default is well side trays. All commercial style options whilst not the prettiest are functionally superior. The car style ones give me the shits in our work utes driving them all day.

Comment

Lux's had the mirror extensions in the glovebox when bought new... many people didn't bother fitting them and tossed them
                My 2wd lux has the door small well body door mirrors... but someones put a steel tray on it... can't see fuck all
                I'm also looking for alternates
                And I work for a Toyo importer.. .and haven't found anything yet
                Location Perth Western Australia

Comment

$$...But clearview seem to fit the description and are very popular with the more money than god 4x4 crowd. i think they would cover the existing holes too.
                  '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
                  '09 VE SS

Originally posted by Scrad
                  You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Comment

Also interested in this, except that I have the two bolt tiny car mirror on mine and its terrible with the tray on.

I was actually thinking of getting some basic towing mirrors for a 79 series and making up a bracket to suit with extra rivnuts.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                    X