Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holley Hydramat reviews

Lots of mentions about them but I couldn’t find a dedicated thread. How are people finding them after a bit of use? Looking to put one in an E46 if I can fit the 15” across the bottom of the pickup unit. Unless they have an EFI size one now?

I've got two in my 300zx racecar, one either side of the tank (the 2 seater zeds are sort of a split tank as the tank sits over the diff). Went this way instead of surge tank.

Just running these with the factory in tank pump and works perfectly, haven't had any issues on track. Def recommend.

Comment

Thanks Shane good to know. And did you use the 15” x 3” mat and just let it extend out of the stock pickup unit?

Comment

Nah I went with two 3" x 8" and tucked them down in the bottom of the tank either side, with a Y joiner to the pump. Was a bit of fucking around modifying the pump for a hose pickup rather than just the press on filter.

Having two they do both need to stay wet otherwise the pump starts sucking air, but my tank is completely foam filled so hasn't been a problem yet, though haven't run it right to the bone either. Only reason I went with two was due to the nature of the 300ZX two seater tank. It's like a saddle bag with nearly 10lts either side of the upside down hump. For most tanks you'll just want one central in the lowest point. You'll still want foam to stop any slushing around so the hydramat stays in fuel at all times.

Comment

Sounds like a solution for my S14 with the same type of tank.

Also makes it easy to only need a "surge" tank for the one hour enduros, if I ever get to that stage.

But hopefully being able able to suck out pretty much all of the 65litre capacity may be enough for a one hour race.

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
            Sounds like a solution for my S14 with the same type of tank.

Also makes it easy to only need a "surge" tank for the one hour enduros, if I ever get to that stage.

But hopefully being able able to suck out pretty much all of the 65litre capacity may be enough for a one hour race.
            U racing Prod Sports? Yeah that was my idea also, but I'm going to come just short of getting an hour out of the tank with E85. I'm going to add a 30lt tank under the rear floor on a toggle switch to top up the main tank mid race for the 1 hours.

Comment

Yep, it's just been a long time between drinks.....

The S14 is only 7 years in after waiting 2 years after binning my old Zed, to be able to buy a replacement, that had a near 9 year break from when I was racing serious in NSW in the mid to late 90's thanks to a few years working offshore and some serious life issues getting in the way when I moved north.

I was planning on just running 98 and looking at a 10 litre tank in the boot up at the bulkhead.
              Last edited by PXL265; 17-05-20, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Depending on what power/boost you're running (but to Prod Sports specs it's not going to be extreme) you should easily do an hour on 98.

I'm only maybe 5-10mins short on E85 with measured 68lts in the tank. I reckon I'll need maybe an extra 10-20lts max. Throw in a safety car and I probably won't even need that lol.

Comment

Good to know.

Just got to get a job where I am in Brisbane for more than six months at a time so I can get some work done on it.

The recent turbo rule changes luckily don't upset the plans too much. The pistons, rid and crank are sorted as us the head, but the turbo and manifolds I had yet to sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
                    I've got two in my 300zx racecar, one either side of the tank (the 2 seater zeds are sort of a split tank as the tank sits over the diff). Went this way instead of surge tank.

Just running these with the factory in tank pump and works perfectly, haven't had any issues on track. Def recommend.
                    Good info! I was looking at this stuff for my 300zx. Cant get around Wakefield without surging.

Could you have run a single big piece from one side to the other to prevent using the Y connector?

Comment

Pretty sure Tim510 is a fan of these. They work regardless of how you wire the polarity of the fuel pump....apparently.
                      The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by lickmyleftone View Post
                        Pretty sure Tim510 is a fan of these. They work regardless of how you wire the polarity of the fuel pump....apparently.
                        lol they do seem to be too good to be true but turns out their price is justified

Comment

Originally posted by mad_cow View Post

Good info! I was looking at this stuff for my 300zx. Cant get around Wakefield without surging.

Could you have run a single big piece from one side to the other to prevent using the Y connector?
                          The problem is as you get low on fuel and go around corners, you get a situation with most of the fuel in one side of the tank, so having one either side I think works best. The factory setup that is supposed to draw fuel from the other side is junk.

I'd still recommend filling with fuel foam, the stuff from Revolution Racegear is E85 safe.

I also split the return line to the tank so fuel being returned to the tank is returned to both sides not just one side. Just used the factory fittings no longer used for drivers side pickup on the top of the tank.

Comment

Shane would it get an issue with one side (mat) sucked dry and the other in fuel during cornering? Wouldn't that create and air pocket being sucked up or is the Hydramat too smart for that?

Comment

As long as the hydramat has some fuel it doesn't suck air, even if just a corner of it is in fuel.

That's why you'll still need foam so all fuel doesn't go to one side during a long winding corner (ie EC turn 1 or WP over the hill). Also why you need to have the return feed both sides.

I've run mine pretty low and not had a problem yet, not down to the last litre though

Comment

Working...
                              X