Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    Aren't there always recalls on these because no matter what colour or where you bought them, they all come out the same factory in Wuhan China??
    Looking at the defect listing most seem to be incorrectly/inadequately label or instructions missing an maybe used incorrectly. The autopro/autobarn ones have a faulty latch which has not been cast correctly. The main column of the GPC Asia Pacific may fracture if a load is dropped on it. The Digitel may buckle during use. That video jasonp1977 linked mentions poor casting relating to a batch as the dies of the extendo-cocks were worn out. seems different shit going on.

Defect Listing

Jimy Industrial Pty Ltd — Car Axle Stands 6000kg PRA No.: 2019/17880 Date published: 25 Oct 2019

Defects: The products are not marked with the appropriate operating instructions and the operating manuals are missing some of the required information.

Jimy Industrial Pty Ltd — Car Axle Stands 3000kg PRA No.: 2019/17879 Date published: 25 Oct 2019

Defects: The products are not marked with the appropriate operating instructions and the operating manuals are missing some of the required information.

Burson Automotive — Summit Ratchet Axle Stands 3000kg, 5000kg and 7000kg PRA No.: 2019/17689 Date published. 7 Aug 2019

Cannon Tools Pty Ltd — Torin Blackjack Trolley Jack 1800kg, Bottle Jack 2000kg, 6000kg and 8000kg and Axle Stands 2000kg and 4000kg PRA No.: 2019/17700 Date published. 1 Aug 2019

Defects: The 1800kg Torin Blackjack Trolley Jack does not comply with the labelling requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Goods (Trolley Jacks) Safety Standard 2017'.

Defects: The 2000kg, 6000kg and 8000kg Torin Blackjack Bottle Jacks do not comply with the labelling requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Protection Notice No. 1 of 2010 - Consumer Product Safety Standard: Vehicle Jacks'.

Defects: The 2000kg and 4000kg Torin Blackjack Axle Stands do not comply with the labelling and information requirements of the voluntary Australian/New Zealand standard 'AS/NZS 2538:2004 Vehicle Support Stands'. This may lead to the product being used incorrectly.

North South Importers — 3 Ton Axle Car Stand T43002CM PRA No.: 2019/17578 Date published: 8 Jul 2019

Defects: The product does not comply with the performance or labelling requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Goods (Vehicle Support Stands) Safety Standard 2017' or 'Consumer Protection Notice No. 12 of 2008'.

Automotive Brands Group Pty Ltd t/as Autopro and Autobarn — Extreme Garage Ratchet Jack Stand Range - 2000kg, 3000kg, 4000kg PRA No.: 2019/17352 Date published: 28 Feb 2019

Defects; The product does not meet the requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Protection Notice No. 12 of 2008, Consumer Product Safety Standard for Vehicle Support Stands'. Some products in this range may have a faulty latch that is either loose or has not been cast correctly.

Sydney Tools Pty Ltd - Torin Vehicle Jack Stand T42001CA PRA No.: 2019/17239 Date published: 3 Feb 2019

Defects: The product does not meet the requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Protection Notice No. 12 of 200 8, Consumer Product Safety Standard for Vehicle Support Stands'. The product was sold without the instruction manual and an incomplete label. The jack stand's label is missing some of the required information.

GPC Asia Pacific — 6000 kg Ratchet-type Vehicle Support Stands PRA No.: 2018/16894 Date published: 3 Aug 2018

Defects: The main column may fracture, rather than bend, if a load is dropped on its outer most edge.

Digitel Australia Pty Ltd — 3-Ton Jack Stand PRA No.: 2017/16426 Date published: 16 Nov 2017

Defects: The product does not meet the requirements of the mandatory standard 'Consumer Protection Notice No. 12 of 2008, Consumer Product Safety Standard for Vehicle Support Stands'. The product may buckle during use.

Comment

the rule should be never get under one unless there is a solid secondary system and remember if one fails, it'll slide sideways. The only time I came close I wasn't under the car. It slide sideways and nearly pinned me against a brick wall

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
        My racecar basically lives on a set of truck ratchet stands when in the garage. I'll be checking the ratchet mechanism regularly after reading this but I'd still feel safer under these than some of the pin type you buy from auto shops. Not because of the height adjusting mechanism, but because of the pyramid shaped base vs the flat base with a central post. To me the pyramid base seems more stable than a single post in the middle. Less ability to collapse sideways.
        I always liked the ratchet type too, as the workshops I'd been at had them, though at the time the only pin type ones I'd seen were povo ones (which I have a few of), the ratchet types tend to have a wider top too, that might actually span the width of a chassis rail, unlike most pin types. I do see the issues with the ratchet type being cast now, and these days avoid even jacking if I can, then only one end at a time if possible, and leaving the jack in place touching (but not loaded up) on the jacking point.
        Originally posted by ALLMTR
        Yes but more power is the solution, even if lack of power isn't the problem...

Comment

I don't think i'll have any issues with my ratchet stands, they are rated at 3 tons, I probably don't plan to put a car on there much over 1.5 ton. I also always use them on a level concrete surface. But I agree with having a backup system in place, my dad thought me that at a young age, throw a tyre under there or some blocks of wood.

Comment

Another issue with some types of ratchets is the strength of the pin in double shear. Plus they can actually be knocked undone quite easily.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by KDog View Post
              Another issue with some types of ratchets is the strength of the pin in double shear. Plus they can actually be knocked undone quite easily.
              Interesting video, but realistically, with the stand under load, you would have to hit that handle pretty damn hard in an upward direction to get it to release. As long as your stands are designed as shown, I can't see it being a realistic problem to be worrying about. You could just as easily say if you were bashing away under your car you could just as easily bash a pin out on the pin type and have that fall on you also.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post
                .. but realistically, with the stand under load, you would have to hit that handle pretty damn hard in an upward direction to get it to release.
                Video is a crock. You have to lift against the weight of the vehicle to unlock it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Video is a crock. You have to lift against the weight of the vehicle to unlock it like that.
                  Did you watch the video? I don't see anything wrong with what he did.

Comment

Originally posted by mizone View Post

Yeah you need to watch the video. What he's demonstrating is that the fail safe pin in the handle is too strong for the sort of weight of a normal car.

The video is valid. Being able to accidentally lift the handle to release the stand is unrealistic.

Comment

Watched and listened. First few minutes. "If you bump the lever it will fall on you."

How? It has the weight of a car on it.

Comment

Watch the video.

Yes bumping it is not enough and he shows that.

Also that's not what he said at all. He was talking about a reported case. Clearly you didn't listen very well because he immediately noted the weight of the car has to be lifted.
                        Last edited by Shonky; 24-05-20, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Speaking of jack stands these double pin type are on sale for this week from SCA https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/563871.html
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget
                          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                            Speaking of jack stands these double pin type are on sale for this week from SCA https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/563871.html
                            That's a bloody good price for 3T jack stands.

Comment

3T screw stands too:
                              https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/568659.html

Evidently made from the same steel pressing as the 3T pin stands.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget
                              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Half tempted just to have a couple of extras around at that price, and for those times where the pin only type aren't quite the right height (aka every time).
                                Last edited by andy_wk; 25-05-20, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X