Jack stand safety recalls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too, even though I already have 14 stands lol.

Comment

The top doesn't look anywhere near wide enough to fit around a decent chassis rail.

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
        Speaking of jack stands these double pin type are on sale for this week from SCA https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...kg/563871.html
        I just bought a set of these a few weeks ago. They were even a bit cheaper then ($40 I'm pretty sure I paid). I didn't die.

Comment

Have these nuggets from auto one for the extra height (600mm) , includes a pin to hold the ratchet down, not sure if that makes much difference.

Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Comment

the SCA screw type - you need to rotate the bit that needs to fit around the chassis rail.. so - much more difficult to use than the other type.
            This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Sturmovik View Post
              The top doesn't look anywhere near wide enough to fit around a decent chassis rail.
              Ah, good point. Whereas the pin-only type have a nice wide soft/flat 'V'.

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post
                the SCA screw type - you need to rotate the bit that needs to fit around the chassis rail.. so - much more difficult to use than the other type.
                So the top part isn't free to spin (or stay in place) as you wind it up? Completely useless idea then, would be a pita to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane001 View Post

So the top part isn't free to spin (or stay in place) as you wind it up? Completely useless idea then, would be a pita to use.
                  from the photo - it appears that you would need to adjust the screw, lift the rod, insert pin.
                  This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by GSRman View Post

from the photo - it appears that you would need to adjust the screw, lift the rod, insert pin.
                    Yeah so the whole centre part is a normal lift type with double pins, then the top screws out for further adjustment. The screw part is a complete waste of time if you can't screw it up without the top spinning. Poorly thought out design

Also reading the reviews, the screw adjustment is only 15mm whereas the gap between pin heights is 28mm. Again, poorly designed.
                    Last edited by Shane001; 25-05-20, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
                      Have these nuggets from auto one for the extra height (600mm) , includes a pin to hold the ratchet down, not sure if that makes much difference.

Those are basically the same ones i have for the Hilux, the pin often falls out as its a secondary retention for the ratchet. I think im going to drill a second hole in the pin for an Rclip:

Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget
                      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I've been using those Supercheap double pin type ones for years now. Fortunately my cars are all so low I only adjusted one for the first time this weekend.

Still gives me the heebie jeebies every time I get under a car supported with one! I always leave the jack in place a few millimetres lower than the stands plus a tyre.

Comment

Those screw stands would be useless if the top doesn't swivel as you adjust the screw.

The reason I like them is for fine adjustment which you can't do with that design.

Comment

Good video showing the US grey Harbor Freight ones failing. And the comparison between the old and new castings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn7FPbT2fxQ

Last edited by Nick; 26-05-20, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              Good video showing the US grey Harbor Freight ones failing. And the comparison between the old and new castings.
                              The video is a bit of a wank. Of course if you kick up on the release under a light weight it is going to fail.

Of course the quality of the ratchet slots and the mechanism is very poor regardless and for 6T rating, I'd hate to see how they would handle heavier loads. I wouldn't be surprised if the teeth and mechanism would sheer clean under 6T!

Comment

I have the screw types at work, I put small trucks on them, they're at least 20 years old. Best ones I've used.

I have some ratchet type ones at home that are prob 10 years old and don't get a lot of use. Awkward and shit. Don't do a lot of work at home fortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X