Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

way faster and way more exciting to attempt to change direction
    1998 BT1 Sedan. RB30 plus baby seat
    Originally posted by Mr Ed
    Anything with Fukushima in the title is bound to be great click bait.

Comment

I bought an 86 with turbo kit, suspension and brakes all done for $22k. Handles and brakes great and has 175kw ATW with a very safe tune that gets beat on all day

I think they’re both awesome as a fun car that can be daily’d, so it will come down to which one you like better, and the hard top was a factor for me too

I think the 86 has a better after market support for pretty much anything you want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MX-5 has two awesome points in my opinion (have owned 2 of them, NA and NB). One, pretty much unkillable, drive to the track, flog it at 10/10ths all day, drive home. Two, the club level competition in them is pretty good, if that's what you're in to. Can leave it stock or tune it to a class that suits your budget and have good competitive fun without blowing the bank. You won't be the fastest car at the track day but you can kick arse in your class if you can steer.
        Originally posted by PJ O’Rourke
        Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose and a teenage lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban side street.

Comment

Former 86 owner who has spent good chunks of time in most mx5 generations.

For me the only mx5 that holds a candle to it is the current one and those cars are very close. My 86 had bushes and Murray Coote suspension which did make it a better handler than a stock mx5 (and better steering than the current GT4) but haven’t driven a modded current mx5 so would expect they’d end up in about the same place. In terms of forward thrust there’s a bees dick between them, seat of pants is no difference at all. 86 is a bit more ‘tinny’ inside but a bit more feel, again, modded that might go out the window. If you’re picking between then the biggest point of difference is the obvious one, do you want a convertible or a coupe, whatever the answer is to that question will tell you which one you should buy.

And anyone telling you that either is a girls/hairdresser/gay etc car likely can’t drive and simply can’t appreciate what they are. That said, I think both are better public road cars than track cars, I think they work as a one make series race car if you really wanted to squeeze the last little bit out of both you and the car but I’m not sure whether I would buy either as a track/daily car as I don’t think either would be enough fun on the track in comparison to other more powerful options.

Comment

Never owned either; but have driven many of both including turbo versions. MX5 by a long way.

Comment

Na mx5 owner and it’s a slow tired rattly shitbox. Been in an nb and it was a bit better for sure. Engine uninspiring. Maybe it’s better with a hard top but that’s an extra $1800. It’s still a heap of fun but it can barely get out of its own way, not sure i would take it on the track.
              i’d have to go 86 because it’s newer, stiffer and comes with a roof and doesn’t have the same chassis flex.
              Last edited by clutch-monkey; 24-05-20, 07:18 AM.
              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

A mate who can actually drive took me out in a 86 that had some breathing mods. Thing was a hoot with my fat arse in the passenger seat. I rate them highly as a car I want to put on a track. Price wise they are a hit with early ones going for around $10k. I can't see a problem with them.

Another friend and I were discussing my thoughts on the 86 and he included it on his shopping list. Now owns a Nismo 370Z instead. It seems a lot of people like the new 86 and end up in used 370Z's instead.

MX-5s have always been too expensive for me.

My money and price range I'd like to try the S2000.
                Last edited by mizone; 24-05-20, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Driven both plenty, own an MX5, for a cheap track hack it’s MX5 all the way. So many parts off the shelf that I could have done all the mods without fabricating a thing. Plenty of fasts with a turbo on an NB and a bucketload cheaper to boot.

86 interior is nicer and you do get “4” seats which can be useful for taking sproglets around. Overall though the weight is quite noticeable.

For me it comes down to whether you want a weekend car or a daily.

Go read some of the build threads: Beavis’ track car, light years many cars, schnittys turbo NB, rorges thing, my turbo NA etc
                  Last edited by takai; 24-05-20, 07:45 AM.
                  Chris
                  ------
                  The new nugget
                  I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

As someone who’s only rented or borrowed these cars, and not done any comparison in terms of real performance; isn’t the relative attraction of the MX5 more to do with exposure to the elements being a more ... I dunno, “immersive” experience, due to the open-topness?
                    And yet the 86 is a quicker car overall.

So does that mean your perspective would be different if you’re wanting a weekend track-hack, as opposed to wanting to enjoy windy roads on the weekend?
                    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

you can get a factory NB turbo for approx $15k search for SE model.

EDIT: but in your situation 86 all the way
                      Last edited by schnitzelburger; 24-05-20, 12:10 PM.
                      www.holditflat.com

Comment

Former NA8 owner here. Street car with basic suspension upgrades, MX5Plus rollbar and a sparco sprint seat. Heaps of fun throwing it around tight hilly roads. I'd like to try an 86, but I prefer no roof. By comparison, my turbo taxi is much faster, but too heavy for fun twisties.
                        I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Comment

Bosxter S?
                          I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

S2000, it's an mx5 with vtec.

Yo..

Comment

This is worth a watch. Also helps eliminate the 370Z from the picture.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Originally posted by Captiva Fan View Post
                                As someone who’s only rented or borrowed these cars, and not done any comparison in terms of real performance; isn’t the relative attraction of the MX5 more to do with exposure to the elements being a more ... I dunno, “immersive” experience, due to the open-topness?
                                And yet the 86 is a quicker car overall.

So does that mean your perspective would be different if you’re wanting a weekend track-hack, as opposed to wanting to enjoy windy roads on the weekend?
                                Well and the handling on tight twisty roads, but yes.
                                i’d have to pick 86 if I was doing the track thing maybe. Mods on mx5 seem cheaper
                                Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                                Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Working...
                                X