LGBTI Cars - MX5 vs 86/BRZ

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% Stock 86s are doing 1:14s from memory.
    Stock+ Tyres they do 1:12s
    86 Cups are doing 1:09s
    and mild modded turbo cars are doing 1:07s. Which is 997 GT3 pace.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Did LOL at thread title.

Tail out RWD style - VE/VEII SS, LS2 with 6 speed manual for $10K, throw a couple of grand at suspension? I believe there's a PF-er doing this in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post

Some slight suspension tuning, Subie is less taily I think, a few styling differences and then its mainly down to interior features. 86 came in two specs, GT and GTS, while BRZ had one, with most of the GTS fruit.
        Don't forget there's been various BRZ special editions over the years, like the recent STI one. But the main differences as you say are styling, equipment, and the BRZ has less of a RWD feel to its suspension tuning (firmer front and softer rear IIRC).

Comment

Biggest issue with an MX5 is where do you put all your tools and spare wheels?

BRZ at least has some more room inside.
          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by trent from punchy View Post
            100% Stock 86s are doing 1:14s from memory.
            Stock+ Tyres they do 1:12s
            86 Cups are doing 1:09s
            and mild modded turbo cars are doing 1:07s. Which is 997 GT3 pace.

1-- % stock NB/NC MX-5s have run 13.7 on greater than 200 tread wear tyres.

I ran a 13.8 with an open diff on RS-3s...

plenty of stock engined mx-5 in the 10s... boz's hire car fleet will run 10s... I've chased them and failed!

Beavis has run 1.02 in his turbo NB..

Last edited by rowdytoot; 25-05-20, 10:49 AM.
            1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake, Cusco 1.5 wy LSD
            2006 Porsche Cayman S stock as a rock
            2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
              Biggest issue with an MX5 is where do you put all your tools and spare wheels?

BRZ at least has some more room inside.
              Small box trailer.

Take it off to race .....(or leave it on if you are a racing God and can steer)....
              Last edited by 9triton; 25-05-20, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                An 86 for all the previous reasons I stated:
                • better daily
                • 4 seats
                • roof
                • can take spare tyres to track
                • faster
                • better steering feel
                I'm contemplating upgrading from an mx5 for the same reasons.
                Yep. Had an NA6 with Induction, Exhaust, Coilovers, Nolthane bushes through the front end. It was great, loved it immensely but the complete lack of space in it got very old when dailying it.

Would love another MX5 but would probably get an BRZ/86 because it looks to be the same as an MX5 but I could actually fit my kids in it.

You would seriously struggle to just pick up the weekly family grocery shopping in a NA/NB MX5 the is so little space in them.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                  Having said that, and having driven the 86 and your NB back to back, I don't understand why anyone would want an 86 over an MX-5 as a drivers car.. the steering feel is not as good IMHO, the gearshift as awful by comparison, and it just feels big and heavy...
                  It's interesting you say that, as I've found the opposite. On a Cotter run in the NB, I found it never really felt settled and I didn't like the way bumps would throw it around and it rolled too much. Once I got the 86 I found I could enjoy that road a lot more - maybe the extra heft of the car settled it a bit, but I also found it less understeery. It's weird because I agree that the MX-5 should be the better driver's car of the two. It might just be my personality - as you know, I don't like to be on the edge of anything; I want to feel totally in control and I get that feel from the 86. (Also it could just be that my #1 hated handling characteristic is body roll, and the 86 does sit pretty flat).

I've considered now that I don't need a back seat anymore whether I should look at moving to an ND-MX-5, probably an RF, but it's hard to see how it would be worth the cost of updating. I'd rather save my money and get something next-level, similar to your thoughts about a Cayman etc.

Last edited by Captain_Slow; 25-05-20, 10:51 AM.

Comment

The difference between working on a <10 year old car vs a 20+ year old car is reason enough to go an 86. They're both gay and enormous fun and the 86 will probably handle better thanks to a stiffer chassis

Comment

Originally posted by The Pupat View Post

Yep. Had an NA6 with Induction, Exhaust, Coilovers, Nolthane bushes through the front end. It was great, loved it immensely but the complete lack of space in it got very old when dailying it.

Would love another MX5 but would probably get an BRZ/86 because it looks to be the same as an MX5 but I could actually fit my kids in it.

You would seriously struggle to just pick up the weekly family grocery shopping in a NA/NB MX5 the is so little space in them.
                      I regularly go to bunnings in mine and bring home all manner of things- rollbar is handy for long bits of steel and pushbikes..

Family shopping for the 3 of us and a case of wine and beer fits in the boot.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake, Cusco 1.5 wy LSD

Comment

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post

It's interesting you say that, as I've found the opposite. On a Cotter run in the NB, I found it never really felt settled and I didn't like the way bumps would throw it around and it rolled too much. Once I got the 86 I found I could enjoy that road a lot more - maybe the extra heft of the car settled it a bit, but I also found it less understeery. It's weird because I agree that the MX-5 should be the better driver's car of the two. It might just be my personality - as you know, I don't like to be on the edge of anything; I want to feel totally in control and I get that feel from the 86. (Also it could just be that my #1 hated handling characteristic is body roll, and the 86 does sit pretty flat).

I've considered now that I don't need a back seat anymore whether I should look at moving to an ND-MX-5, probably an RF, but it's hard to see how it would be worth the cost of updating. I'd rather save my money and get something next-level, similar to your thoughts about a Cayman etc.
                        You should drive mine sometime.. it will throw you around something fierce at speed on that road . but it's very flat. and I like edgy...

I should probably drive another 86 sometime...

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                          The difference between working on a <10 year old car vs a 20+ year old car is reason enough to go an 86. They're both gay and enormous fun and the 86 will probably handle better thanks to a stiffer chassis
                          this.
                          www.markpakula.com
                          2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
                          2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
                          2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
                          2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post

The golf suggestion? Lol.
                            Haha fuck off lol, people were suggesting baguette haulers, i thought it was only fair to include these too.

Comment

do you want to be plain old gay, or identify as a hipster toaster that is gay ?

you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

86 all day long except for one thing I absolutely loved in the MX5, the gear shift feel. Even in a 30 year old thrashed NA6 so short, precise engagement. I mean the 86 feels good to OK, but the MX5 is in different league.

Comment

Working...
                                X