Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Car Wash and Detail Thread for Dummies

Ok, so like most people on here, I have countless amount of Car wash & Detail stuff in the Garage.
    I do like to keep my Cars clean, and generally throw some Polish on them every 6 Months or so.
    I'm not finishing them to Showroom, or Summernats worthy, but good enough to show that I do look after it, and nice beads of water on it when it gets wet.

Now for the Questions......

I use Meguiars products...Why?, Well, I bought some many years ago, and just simply stuck with it.
    I do the "3 Step" Meguiars Polish and Wax..., ( Well that what it says on the Bottles)

I generally use the Meguiars Applicator Pads, to apply the Paint Cleaner, Polish and Wax and buff off each one using a Buffing rag all by hand.
    I do have a 10" Buffer/Polisher with several different pads, but I tried it once, hated it... Maybe I'm using it wrong??
    Is using an electrical Buffer/Polisher a big advantage over doing it all by hand?

Now everyone now seems to use the Foam Cannons on their car? What does this do that good old washing with my Noodle Mitt and 2 buckets can't do?

I even went out and bought a nice Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt ages ago, and I'm still yet to use it, as everything else seems to work.

And I haven't even started on the inside of the Car... after been told many many years ago, that Amour-all is not a good product to use on the Dash, I've just simply used a damp Chamois.
    Cleaning Stains from Car Mats? Kmart $12 are cheap enough to buy when the old one are looking too shabby.

The "Detail Geek" on YouTube raves on about the Bissell Extractor... Are they as good as they seem, or worth it?

So school me on what I'm doing wrong, or what else I should be doing...
    Attached Files
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

If you have a regime that works for you why change it?

The only thing I will chuck in is that there are a lot of new products on the retail scene that are easier (less effort) to use, they do give better protection and they generally give a bit better look. It’s a holy war sort of thing too

The buzz over the Bissell is that it’s a $200 easy to use machine that comes ready to go. A half decent Wet’n’Dry Vac along with a spray bottle of upholstery cleaner and water will have the same result if you’ve got a decent wide nozzle on it. Good mats you just take out and pressure wash using either carpet cleaning detergent or even laundry detergent.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by milo View Post
      The "Detail Geek" on YouTube raves on about the Bissell Extractor... Are they as good as they seem, or worth it?
      I suspect this and every other product he raves about - "303 Aerospace Protectant", McCullough steamer, the tyre shine, etc - are all sponsored items seeing as he links to them on Amazon with a referral link in each video, but they're certainly a good place to start in working out what's good.

Comment

Suspect the profit margins are excellent, hence why there are millions of copies.

There are a couple of helpful detailers on here, so look forward to their insights on good, cost effective products for the amateur to use.
        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Re the Bissell thing, I have one similar. Haven't used it on the car, but does do a good job of spot cleaning carpet. It's nothing particularly special. Use their "oxygen activated" cleaning fluid which is pretty expensive, spray it on the carpet with some agitation and then it extracts the liquid. So really just a wet vac with a couple of heads specifically for sucking water out of the carpet.

Comment

My routine isn't hugely different to yours, but I did move away from Meguiar's products some time ago. I found I was getting poor results with many of them and it had become a bit of a lottery as to which products were good and which weren't. These days I use Dodo Juice waxes, and Bowden's for simple off the shelf stuff that you can buy locally. I use my random orbital for polishing now and then, but only if I'm going for a comprehensive job - otherwise I just do stuff by hand.

I do rate the Bissell though. Great for the car and equally good at sorting out stains on the carpet in the house. Get it on sale at Supercheap and it's a winner.

Comment

The main advantage for the Bissell is the portability and lack of weight. Couldn't believe how small it was once out of the packaging.

Comment

i cant find the bissell thing on supercheap site anyone got a link??

watching one on ebay just so i remeber what they are called cause they look like a good thing
                www.holditflat.com

Comment

Will watch this thread with interest. I want to do a good job of keeping the Volvo clean but have no idea what to do basically. I have never waxed/polished a car in my life lol! Currently use a Meguiars combo type product and then chamois, that's it.
                  Also, interiors. What's the hotness for cleaning/keeping leather in good condition?

Comment

I tend to watch the Forensic detailing channel on YT. He's about the only one I can stand. Does lots of comparison and test videos so you can actually see how different brand products perform and value for money.

I've settled on a selection of Bilt Hamber foam and wheel cleaners, Bowdens wash and drying aid and sometimes protection, and recently tried the Autoglym UHD wax which looks fantastic but effort required will probably make it a once every 6 months thing.

Comment

I'm far from a pro but have done a fair amount of detailing;

I use Meguiars products...Why?, Well, I bought some many years ago, and just simply stuck with it.
                      I do the "3 Step" Meguiars Polish and Wax..., ( Well that what it says on the Bottles)

Megs is OK......there's far better stuff on the market. No two polishes are created equal. www.carcareproducts.com.au will give you a good idea what's available.

I generally use the Meguiars Applicator Pads, to apply the Paint Cleaner, Polish and Wax and buff off each one using a Buffing rag all by hand.
                      I do have a 10" Buffer/Polisher with several different pads, but I tried it once, hated it... Maybe I'm using it wrong??
                      Is using an electrical Buffer/Polisher a big advantage over doing it all by hand?

Using a machine is going to be far more effective, especially if you're trying to correct the paint (remove marring/spiderwebs). What sort of machine is it? Rotary or random orbital?

Now everyone now seems to use the Foam Cannons on their car? What does this do that good old washing with my Noodle Mitt and 2 buckets can't do?

I even went out and bought a nice Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt ages ago, and I'm still yet to use it, as everything else seems to work.

The foam agitates the dirt and helps remove it. So you hit it with the foam, let it sit for 5mins then blast it off with the pressure washer. The less you have to remove with the wash mitt, the less likely you'll get swirls.

And I haven't even started on the inside of the Car... after been told many many years ago, that Amour-all is not a good product to use on the Dash, I've just simply used a damp Chamois.
                      Cleaning Stains from Car Mats? Kmart $12 are cheap enough to buy when the old one are looking too shabby.

Aerospace 303 protectant is very good stuff for plastics both interior and exterior. Amour-all is greasy and makes the dash shiny which licks bag on a sunny day.

I've started using Bowden's Own stuff lately and have been quite impressed with it. Regularly goes on sale at Repco and is Australian made and owned which is a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Cock Fist View Post

I suspect this and every other product he raves about - "303 Aerospace Protectant", McCullough steamer, the tyre shine, etc - are all sponsored items seeing as he links to them on Amazon with a referral link in each video, but they're certainly a good place to start in working out what's good.
                        Can't speak for anything else, but 303 is fucking magic. I use it on all interior and exterior plastics and my tyres. Makes them look brand new but not shiny like the spray on shit car dealers use.

Comment

What you use is going to be determined by how far you want to go and how much you are willing to spend!?

I'm keen to get some new stuff as I've been watching Ammo NYC Youtube for a while and his shit seems good and he seems to know what's up (I also noticed resident detailer FLI355 mentioned Ammo gear the other day, if he uses it, it's good I reckon)

I use :

Quick detailing/cleaning - Bowden's Boss Gloss + Big Softie - good quick detailer spray, easy on/off (I used to use Meg's Final Finish, Bowden's polishes off much easier and shines better). I basically use this almost exclusively to clean the Nova (but it doesn't get filthy dirty, if it does then it gets washed.

After quick detailing Bowden's Fully Slick + Big Softie - great to wipe over every now and again after the Boss Gloss.

Washing - Bowden's Nanolicious or Meguiars Gold Class suds and either a Bowden's Love Glove and/or a Megs Lambswool one with the bug scrubber on the back (only use on the front bumper of the family truckster for hardcore bug guts)

Drying - Bowden's big green sucker and/or a cheap speed drier chamois from SuperCheap (I've tried lots of chamois but these work awesome, mostly use it on the windows and the sucker for panels!)

Quick hand polishing - Meguiars Ultimate and the terry towel/cotton style pads (the foam ones suck) and Bowden's softies for wipe off (one wet to wipe over the polish and a dry one to buff)

More serious polishing - Random orbital polisher and Menzerna polishes of various grades, same brand sealant. Wet softie for wipe off and dry one for buffing.

Interior - I use all Bowden's.....Leather Love (clean), Leather Guard (protect), Vinyl Reviver (clean/protect), Naked Glass (this shit is awesome to use in your house too!), Square Bear for application and Plush Daddy to wipe off, Bowden's glass cloth for windows.

If the family car is seriously filthy I give it a layer of CT18 diluted in water (don't use it straight!!!!) and hose it on with a garden sprayer - I'd say about 70% as good as a snow cannon but this costs $9 from Bunnings + the CT18 which lasts ages as you don't use much each time. Hose off CT18, wash and dry car then usually give it either some Fully Slick or a polish if it's been a while as the CT18 "dries" the paint a bit.

Tyres - I don't do often aside from scrub when washing but have the Bowden's Wheely Clean and their tyre shine too (which isn't super shiny as I don't like the "wet look" or shit that flings everywhere)

Chrome - Depends on the metal, have a combo of Bowden's metal polish (although I liked the old brown formula better than the new purple one) or California Purple. For "non show" metal that needs a bit more grunt I use Autosol. The naked glass stuff also works well on chrome for a quick clean as does the boss gloss.

Basically I'm a Bowden's fan girl I guess but the shit works, is local and when on sale is well priced.
                          Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                            i cant find the bissell thing on supercheap site anyone got a link??

watching one on ebay just so i remeber what they are called cause they look like a good thing
                            Doesn't look like it's on there any more. Just some accessories. Mine is an older version of this:
                            https://bissell.com.au/products/spot-clean/

Detailing bloke seems to use one like this:
                            https://bissell.com.au/products/spotclean-turbo-15582/

Comment

i fucking hate amour all fuck that greasy ass shit

i used to have a meguiars interior protectant that looked like jizz but smelled like bubble gum. it gave the same look with no greasiness but they dont make it anymore. cue me standing around the auto store cracking bottletops and sniffing product nothing sus.
                              www.holditflat.com

Comment

Working...
                              X