Special Interest/Historic Rego in Qld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Interest/Historic Rego in Qld

Over time Queensland has fallen hopelessly out of line with the rest of the country when it comes to this. In most states of Australia, they use a log book system & you are allowed to drive the vehicle a certain number of days per year. The Qld guidelines are far more strict. They can be read here: https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/reg...t/restrictions

Vicroads conditions: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...r-club-permits

In a nut shell "Club permits are valid for either 45 or 90 driving days per year. This means club permit holders can use their club permit vehicle for that many days per year, but a log book of all trips must be kept."

NSW is currently trialing a logbook system too: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/reg...tml#Vehicleuse

"From 1 October 2019, the log book will become a permanent feature of the Historic and Classic Vehicle Schemes. Transport for NSW will deliver a number of improvements to the schemes over the next 12 months based on the feedback received during the review.

Existing requirements introduced during the trial will continue to apply to participants, including:
    • Vehicles registered under the Historic and Classic Vehicle Schemes can be operated for 60 days of general road use each year, outside of organised club events.
    • Each day of general road use must be recorded in a log book issued at Service NSW branches."
    As someone with 3, soon to be 4 cars registered this way, I'd like to see what can be done about changing the Queensland system. We already have the most expensive registration in Australia and this is just an extra kick in the pills. I have no idea where to start or if any of the car clubs are already on this. If so, I don't want to start from scratch, but rather get involved in making it happen. Do any of you guys know if anyone is already campaigning for this or know where I'd start the ball rolling?

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Cal, there was something happening a while ago with some council of car clubs type association.

I will have a dig through my emails to see if I can find where they were at. But I'm pretty sure they were looking at getting the logbook system introduced, but TMR for whatever reason was saying the current system is fine.

I too would like to see a log book system. Even if only for around 50 days, that would be perfect for the barge and the chugger.

Comment

the NSW 60 day logbook was championed by the Council of Motor Clubs. Maybe they have a branch in qld?
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Comment

I'm with you Cal. I have 7 things on SIVS rego.
        If you do a search online you'll find minutes of meetings between car clubs and the Dept of Transport where this has been discussed in recent years.
        For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to get enough support. I guess SIVS registered vehicles are a tiny minority group and the dept. has bigger fish to fry than to put resources toward launching a new system for a tiny number of road users who don't contribute much cash to the system.

Qld is also a lot more expensive than most other states for club rego unfort.

Comment

Cal, my dad was involved (from the Citroen car club point of view) a few years ago when they tried this. He was for it, but got pretty burnt by the politics of the retired folk who go out for their club runs to the local RSL on a Wednesday.
          Dirty Subaru owner

Comment

Originally posted by AxGT View Post
            Cal, my dad was involved (from the Citroen car club point of view) a few years ago when they tried this. He was for it, but got pretty burnt by the politics of the retired folk who go out for their club runs to the local RSL on a Wednesday.
            How is it not also in their best interest?

Thanks Ben, I'll have a look.
            The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Iirc Ferdie(?) with v12 shorty is in or started a club so might be worth contacting for info.

I know some clubs down here don't even want to do 60 days thing or modified cars only historics unmodified.
              Last edited by gtrboyy; 28-08-20, 04:31 PM.
              an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

electronic club diary and a facebook page is all you need. our system i think is pretty good.

Comment

Yes the impromptu event clause has helped organise cruises...but it would be nice to be able to drive to work once a fortnight or a couple of days in a row if the BMW breaks down

"You and anyone driving your special interest vehicle must only use the vehicle for:
                  • participating in rallies or events, including impromptu events organised by an incorporated vehicle club or events sanctioned by the Australia Street Rod Federation.
                    • a rally is a social event where a parade of special interest vehicles travel together for competition or to meet at an agreed location. Rallies and events must be listed in the incorporated club newsletter or on the incorporated club's website or social media page (or in another manner approved by the club or Australia Street Rod Federation, such as the club calendar of events) prior to the event.
                    • an impromptu event is an event that has been initiated by a club member, involves one or more vehicles, and must comply with the following elements:
                      • involves an invitation to wider club members to attend the event; and
                      • is either
                        • endorsed in advance of the event by the relevant club or Australia Street Rod Federation committee; or,
                        • where it exists, complies with published club guidelines as to what is a valid event; and
                      • is listed either in the newsletter, on the website, or social media page (or in another manner approved by the club or Australia Street Rod Federation, such as the club calendar of events) prior to the event.

Note: Incorporated vehicle clubs should maintain a register of endorsed impromptu events. This register should contain information on the impromptu event."

Comment

Originally posted by gtrboyy View Post
                    Iirc Ferdie(?) with v12 shorty is in or started a club so might be worth contacting for info.

I know some clubs down here don't even won't do 60 days thong or modified cars only historics unmodified.
                    That's a good point. I know some state(s) only allow historic (club) rego if the vehicle is 100% stock standard, hence the term historic.
                    I think SA is like this, and maybe Sictoria to some extent?

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                      electronic club diary and a facebook page is all you need. our system i think is pretty good.
                      Until you read the Vic & NSW ones.

The club still needs to be incorporated in Qld.

Originally posted by uuheels View Post

That's a good point. I know some state(s) only allow historic (club) rego if the vehicle is 100% stock standard, hence the term historic.
                      I think SA is like this, and maybe Sictoria to some extent?
                      The NSW one talks about that.
                      Last edited by Cal; 28-08-20, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Here's the minutes Cal.

https://www.publications.qld.gov.au/...car-club-forum

I haven't looked at the docs again today, but I know last time I did trawl through them they had discussed a logbook scheme at some point in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post

How is it not also in their best interest?

Thanks Ben, I'll have a look.
                          I've heard similar stories about a few different clubs from a few different sources. The general impression I got was that they're mainly fuckwits who oppose any change and the current system suits them fine.

If you get any headway and need a hand let me know. I'd have at least the Mini and the MR2 on conditional rego - they get used once a week anyway and it seems a bit rough paying $785 odd annually for a 650kg car.

Comment

The club also has final say whether or not they'll accept the car or certain mods.

Even if it's still registered with engineer reports

Most said they're under heavy scrutiny thanks to the shit some of the vic clubs were doing.
                            Last edited by gtrboyy; 28-08-20, 04:45 PM.
                            an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

WA is terrible.

100% stock, rumour is this is changing

Only to or from club events or car shows

Thats it, nada else.

What I'd like is X km's per year or X days per year, say two a month would be epic. Then discount rego to reflect this.

Victoria had it as grand until it was rorted.
                              Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X