Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So 2020, what's the hotness in 2L Turbo engines for 70's RWD jap cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So 2020, what's the hotness in 2L Turbo engines for 70's RWD jap cars?

So been thinking about starting this thread for awhile now but never got around to it.

Back say 20 years ago SR20's were going into everything, they were common, affordable, could pickup low km engines and lots of aftermarket parts and support available for them. Though probably not necessary the best thing around at the time either.

Nowadays they are probably getting more difficult to get hold of, high km and in need of a rebuild.

So was just thinking in 2020 what is the new hotness or alternative to fit to some random jap car and make bulk power.

Around 2L, guess could be a little bit more or less but would need to consider capacity to weight if it were to go into a lighter car.

Also doesn't necessary have to be a factory turbo, would be happy to convert but it would need to be eligible for engineering after this is done.

So what's out there, hoping for something common that is easy to get hold of.

Thanks

For something you can just bolt in and run off a factory ECU its still a fucking SR20.
    Good proven platform just the price of entry has gone up, still boring as all fuck but they do the job.

There has not really been a on par replacement, you can pick an ecoboost or turbo a Honda K24/Toyota 3RZ but its not a weekend conversion on the cheap.
    Last edited by dnegative; 28-08-20, 07:23 PM.

Comment

honda k series would be worth considering

Comment

Originally posted by dougmo View Post
        honda k series would be worth considering
        They are cheap at the moment, squirrel away half a dozen of them and you will probably rake in some good cash in 10 years.
        Conversion is still expensive, need a ECU and getting a RWD transmission on them is not cheap.

They make exceptional power with a turbo but

Comment

Ahhhhhh, currently hoarding parts to convert my KE70 from CA18 > K24. Last gearbox I bought for the car 8 years ago was $50, I can't get anything under $700 atm that isn't in mystery condition. A rebuild is coming in at $2000 (old box needs 1st/2nd/3rd). Motors dried up long ago, just time to move on I guess.

Niteparts are doing RWD adapter kits for the K24 now (cheap as chips R150 gearboxes from 05-15 TGN16 Hilux's). Biggest problem is getting enough bonnet clearance. Trick seems to be buying a K20 oil pump, and moving the pick-up forward of the engine so you can have a large sump at the front and skinny at the back to clear the crossmember. Motors are going for $500 - $800 depending on what shit you want bolted to them. I guess it's not cheap to convert them, but once it's done then replacing boxes / motors should be cheap for the next 5+ years. & you can wind a bit of boost into a stock motor too, the seppos seem to think 400hp is the limit but I don't know what translates to in reality :D

Comment

It's hard to find a SR20 block that's worth rebuilding these days let alone a full motor

They do come up but tend to sell very quickly.

That said, billet blocks are becoming more affordable (compared to sleeving anyway).

What're the ford ecoboost 2.0 or 2.3L like?
            Last edited by gmr; 29-08-20, 06:23 AM.

Comment

The ford/Mazda duratec seems to be a good thing and common as the SR used to be. VAG and Mercedes 2.0 turbo also.

modern engines are generally good across the board. You have to work hard to go wrong, unlike the selection of shit from the 90s and early 2000s where there wasn’t a lot of choice for strong bases.
              Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
              my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Toyota RZ motors, K20/24, 4g63/4, opel (holden) C20/22 are all all cheap to buy, can get rwd adapters or gearboxes for, and can make spastic power with.

Out of all them, the 4g63/4 would easily be the cheapest power thanks to hyundai and the chinese using them extensively.
                ​​​Edit: also bmw M42/44 and volvo red and white blocks.
                Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 29-08-20, 10:27 AM.
                Originally posted by Rdyno
                70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                Originally posted by Tripper
                Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

^ I feel summoned!
                  Volvo redblocks are, frankly, only for powering your garbage-truck project. Or maybe a ski-lift where your current 186 or 179 is a bit too smooth.

Echoing what Jim said about the Ford Duratec & Mazda MZR based things (and yeah I’m chucking the whole family in together), there seems to be a heap of support for those in the UK for RWD application. Including even megadollar Cosworth engines based on them. Which would be way more exxy than the vast majority of projects could justify, but IMhO way cool.
                  Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Yeah the 4g63/64 did cross my mind, are the hyundai/chinese engines basically the same as the original mitsubishi? Are they DOHC? What cars would be best to source one from? Will they just bolt up to a RWD mitsubishi box? Wouldn't mind a bit more info on these things actually.

Are those Duratec's direct injection? If so is that going to complicate things going into an older car compared to a conventional fuel injection setup? Might make things more difficult if the engine is NA and want to convert to turbo?

K20's also look like a good thing, are they easy to get hold of though? Will need to look into these more.
                    '

Comment

Given modern cars having integrated ecus/bcms/tcus/canbus links to other modules etc., I'd start by looking at what <20 year old engines have off the shelf looms available from aftermarket ECU manufacturers and work backwards... That has to be a huge step towards the "swap in a weekend" dream, although spendy for sure.
                      Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                      I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Most decent aftermarket ecus would do direct injection I’d imagine these days.
                        have a look at some ecu websites (eg Haltech) and see what plug and play models they cover.
                        Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                        my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by 080GMH View Post
                          Are those Duratec's direct injection? If so is that going to complicate things going into an older car compared to a conventional fuel injection setup? Might make things more difficult if the engine is NA and want to convert to turbo?
                          Just get a turbo one? I’m pretty sure Mustang and Falcon Ecoboost engines are in the same “family” at least, and of course you’ve got the Mazda3 & Mazda6 & CX7 engines. Being ‘related to the same thing’ doesn’t mean plug-and-play, but I guess it gets you closer.

I don’t think the ones labelled as Duratec in stuff like Mk1 Focus were direct injection, but they’d be getting on now.

All this talk of 4G63 with Hyundai sources; I know they’re not as strong, but what do you need to do to make them as capable as an EVO engine? I assume that’s possible, or at least ‘near enough’?
                          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Astron 2000. Era-correct and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
                              Astron 2000. Era-correct and everything.
                              Weren't they fitted to tractors?

Comment

Working...
                              X