• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold

Comment

The Slowly IS300

Comment

Realistically when you think about it potentially using the OEM controller but having something to keep the canbus stuff happy is probably going to be the best option. The OEM literally would have teams of engineers developing the TCM/GCU for DCT's and they still have issues getting it right all the time. Compared with a team of maybe a couple guys they literally have no hope of being able to produce something that gets close to OEM reliability. It would not surprise me if the transmission control on a DCT takes up the more engineering time then the engine when the OEM's put together a new powertrain package.
        Aftermarket ECU's which we've been using for what 30+ years aren't perfect with coming up with something that gives OEM tuning reliability and by reliability I mean, cold start, hot start, idle control, protection, emissions, and just generally not having issues. I mean it would be a very small number of aftermarket ECU users who could hand on heart say they have 100% OEM like reliability.
        So maybe companies like Syvecs and Maxxecu are taking the better approach.

What are the limitations of doing this? I mean I know for ECU's you can only flash tune them so far before you run into limitations that will limit how much power you can make. But is the limitation of using the OEM controller on a DCT with some tweaks?

Genuine question. Trying to edumacate myself.
        Last edited by Luke352; 05-09-21, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's power limits as such as you can generally replace injectors and ignition components if required, as well as mass airflow meters and map sensors, unless you are talking meth or e85 and 3bar+ boost and looking to staged injectors.

It's generally not being able to run 2-steps, antilag or similar functions unless there is a big open source community or enough demand for a commercial company to do the code.

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post
            I don't think it's power limits as such as you can generally replace injectors and ignition components if required, as well as mass airflow meters and map sensors, unless you are talking meth or e85 and 3bar+ boost and looking to staged injectors.

It's generally not being able to run 2-steps, antilag or similar functions unless there is a big open source community or enough demand for a commercial company to do the code.
            The MaxxECU and likely others that use the BMW controller send torque required info to the gearbox over CAN. The BMW controller then has the map for clutch pressure and everything like that. And you are right, it just works.

The standalones like the HTG GCU replace the BMW controller completely and wire the solenoids directly to the GCU. It commands clutch pressures, shifting speeds. Ideally it should allow greater control of the gearbox but it requires A LOT of work and seems to be different for just about every setup/engine etc. HTG are also hounded by firmware that changes a lot between updates..

Comment

Yeah I definitely think getting a nice hand the keys to a Muppet gearbox tune would be far harder than an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post

The MaxxECU and likely others that use the BMW controller send torque required info to the gearbox over CAN. The BMW controller then has the map for clutch pressure and everything like that. And you are right, it just works.

The standalones like the HTG GCU replace the BMW controller completely and wire the solenoids directly to the GCU. It commands clutch pressures, shifting speeds. Ideally it should allow greater control of the gearbox but it requires A LOT of work and seems to be different for just about every setup/engine etc. HTG are also hounded by firmware that changes a lot between updates..
                Hmmm, I guess there is probably a limit to the BMW GCU where you feed it certain values etc and it just doesn't know what to do. But if that's not the case I think my point probably stands. These aftermarket guys unless they have the same resources have no hope of achieving anything close to OEM reliability/behaviour from their GCU's when even the OEM's struggle with whole teams of engineers.

I've owned 3 cars now with DCT's, from shit Ford Powershift which had several firmware revisions applied and an updated clutch pack with different material. It worked mostly ok by the end but still had moments. Nopics had an Audi A4, no random stutters and other stuff like the Ford but still has its moments of no idea which gear to select or really delayed take up before it dumps the clutch and launches off because it let the revs come right up before deciding to engage. Latest is nopics Kia Sorento which has a 8spd unit, so far it behaves fairly well but there have been a couple cases of them failing and just refusing to do hill starts. But brand new model car and transmission so bound to be a few teething issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Slides View Post

Yeah, at some point the power levels or things you're chasing like 2-step are going to require componentry/changes the stock ecu just won't support.

So I guess the question is is this the same with GCU's? I get you might tweak a few things like shift change points etc.. to get it holding gear longer and not be so economy tuned and lift some temperature and torque limits if fitting updated clutches but what more can you do that the stock GCU won't be able to be tuned to.

Comment

Most of them seem to have the capability for launch modes and varoius shift modes and stuff from the factory, it's not like bleed circuits on old school torque converter autos, I think provided people can edit them there wouldn't be much you would actually want to do that you couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by bboy View Post
                      I do not agree, there are no forces on the joints other than vibration. And if vibration is an issue many other solder joints in the car will be an issue. You would pot it anyway like Ribfeast suggested.
                      Vibration isn't a concern... repeated thermal expansion/contraction of the frame is.
                      Potting won't help with that either.
                      They will crack. I can't say if it'll be in 1 year or 10, but it will happen.

The flying leads is cheap, easy & won't have that problem.

Comment

I've exchanged a few emails with Lamik, but mainly it was just pricing info and specs of the controller, as above, seems hard to get good info on it but to be fair I don't know what I need to know as I'm very early on in this piece, I just like the idea.

What are people paying for 8hp70? I've having trouble even finding them, found an AWD version on Gumtree for $1200 with 200000ks lol So not much use to me.

My interest in 8hp was bolstered by assumed reduced cost/complexity vs the DCT.

No Crust Racing | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by NoCrustRacing View Post
                          What are people paying for 8hp70?
                          I paid $2600 for mine from BM Spares with 45,500km on it

The Slowly IS300

Comment

All publicity is good, right?

Comment

🤣 at least the case is sturdy.

Comment

Been playing a bit with TunerPro with the Turbo Lamik config. Pretty straight forward and also complex if you need it.

Will play with the A340 until I shred it and just might be giving you some cash for a copy of your mount BBOY.

Comment

Working...
                                X