Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should Jack stands, ramps and car jacks last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should Jack stands, ramps and car jacks last?

So I pulled the car ramps out the other day. They are in mint condition and show no signs of wear or damage. But I realised they are over 20 years old, for WA peeps, they where bought at Marlows! My smaller car stands are also in mint condition and about the same age.

So my question is, if in good nick, how long should they last? When should someone consider buying a new set (knowing my luck will be recalled twice due to crap welds)

Also how long should a trolley jack last? Mine gets an oil change every few years and a quick inspection of the seals. If it looks good then I keep using it or get it serviced. But no one has ever said anything about them, getting checked or having a shelf life.

I think that as long as there is no damage/fatigue to the metal, and no signs of rust of corrosion etc, then they should be fine for many years.

If theyre 20 years old then theyre likely not made to the same bottom line as the regularly recalled ones that are sold today.

Were they cheapies when you bought them, or higher spec?

Comment

Long enough to get out from under when you hear a creak

Comment

Sydney harbour bridge has been there 90 years
        I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

I have 40 year old car ramps, still strong as fuck. A 2.4 ton Audi Q7 doesn't even make them flinch.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
            Hoges never maintained mizone’s ramps, though!

Mine seem fine & are probably 25 years old, although they’re useless for the Volvo ... front & rear ends are all empty-air crumple-zone, which pulls the wheelbase in from the front & rear bumpers a fair bit, so ramp-angle is way more For The Suck than the Commode.
            Last edited by Captiva Fan; 27-09-20, 01:27 PM.
            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

If possible, no matter the age, you should always try to have 2 forms of support/backup when you are under the car anyway.
              this signature intentionally left blank

Comment

In my non expert opinion a jack is less of an issue since you're never under a vehicle when on a jack only (right?). If it lifts it to get a stand under, it's fine. Stands on the other hand, prefer to keep a jack there wherever possible as a back up. If two sets of jack stands fit in different places then do that too.

So if they look fine and aren't riddled with rust I'm good to go. My older stands (3 sets) do have a bit of "surface rust" but I'm still confident with them. They are the backup at best though.

All a case of risk management.

Comment

Thanks for the input lads

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                  Were they cheapies when you bought them, or higher spec?
                  Middle of the road. I paid more for them back then that a new higher weight rating one would cost now.

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                  Long enough to get out from under when you hear a creak
                  Originally posted by CussCuss View Post
                  If possible, no matter the age, you should always try to have 2 forms of support/backup when you are under the car anyway.
                  I think that goes without saying, I shove a newish 6 tonne axle stand under everything so that if it does give way I'll die slowly and it will hurt the whole time I'm dying.

Comment

find something else to worry about dude.

Comment

i use jack stands that are about 40 years old, no apparent cracks or damage so i keep using them.

oh, and i still haven't been crushed by my quickjacks

Comment

I’ve seen some people’s rusty ramps and stands that live outside 24x7, I’ve seen newish stands be bent by a car being toppled off them, beaten “straight” and put back to use.
                        Ain’t getting under those options at all.

I trust my 25+ year old ones because they aren’t treated like the above. Then again I’m a wuss.
                        ---
                        Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Comment

Originally posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
                          i use jack stands that are about 40 years old, no apparent cracks or damage so i keep using them.

oh, and i still haven't been crushed by my quickjacks
                          As I typed the original post I thought, Damn, I hope the drummer from Steal Panther would chime in with a good joke. I am disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
                            Intended life was 100 years though. They had to abandon the intended additional deck idea back in the late 90s early 00s(?), because structure was no longer up to design strength.

Do have old pressed metal base, pin in hole, jack stands that are probably 60s vintage, that still seem ok, but no chinesium steel or welding in those days.

Comment

I have a pair of ramps that I got given (used - with a dent in one of them) so long ago I can't remember.

They live outside and still work fine. Look like the paint was Marlows blue.
                              Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

Working...
                              X