Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early WRX's, what models will be desirable in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ I think these are the sort of car that, even though you've put all that work in for your own enjoyment & not for profit, "tasteful properly-done mods" (& especially with STi stuff) increase the value. I don't think "originality" is so much a Thing with these as, say, a Monaro GTS.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Sorry to revive this thread. But I can’t seem to get these fucking things off my mind.

ever since selling my ssv Ute I’ve yearned first something faster than a v6 Hilux but want something I can look at the garage at night and say “that looks mad”

ive always had a soft spot for the old rexy’s. It’s sort of the itch I’ve never scratched.

im chasing a semi future classic, affordable, but reliable with a bit of stick. The rexy ticks those boxes sort of.

would I be dreaming to get on board for $15-20k or am I buying into trouble at those prices.

I have no time for fixing shit or have the skills and patience to do so these days. I want to just turn the key on a Sunday arvo and take the kids for ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post

Hey fuck you.....it's SPORT yellow :D

Clean, unmodded GC8s are like finding a unicorn dick. 2dr STIs are proper drug money. $50-$60K minimum........approaching $100K for your ultra low mileage ones that have been in a hermetically sealed chamber their whole life. 4drs are $40-$50K.

There's heeeaaaaps of people after CSE3 & 4s. Ii've got people wanting to buy my CSE4 every other week. Had a note left on it week before last. Stocker aside from STI pink springs and a 3" exhaust. If I won Powerball tomorrow, i'd take it to someone along with a briefcase of cash and tell them to pull it apart, whatever you can buy new from Subaru go and buy it and make it perfect. I should probably start buying Powerball tickets.

I bought it in 2006. Back then no one looked twice at it. Now, it seems to attract more attention. I just don't see them on the road anymore. MY94/95/96 models are basically non-existent.
        I want your club spec. I’m sick of riding past it and getting a stiffy.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5613...50150498416773

Not sure if you'll be able to see it. MY98, white, gold wheels, vf28, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by willsy01 View Post
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/5613...50150498416773

Not sure if you'll be able to see it. MY98, white, gold wheels, vf28, exhaust.
            Not in the group mate. Take a screenshot!

Comment

If I had to guess, it's had a FMIC at some stage based on the front bar. Other than that, looks pretty good.
              Attached Files

Comment

Cheers mate. That is perfect. Do those km’s ring alarm bells though?

but that ticks all the boxes
                nostaligia
                bit of fkn whoosh
                Appreciating asset/future classic

Comment

If it's been serviced properly, i'd say no. Mine's at 274 and sure, a few of the horses have probably escaped out the exhaust pipe along the journey......it still drives really well though.

It's got a VF28 but there's no mention of it having an aftermarket ECU or a remap......probably something to be aware of. VF28 is what was on STI's of the same era. Think they ran a different ECU.

If you find something, take it to Michael at SubieDoctor on the corner of Captain Cook Drv and Cawarra Rd for a look over. No bullshit bloke and what he doesn't know about Subaru's isn't worth knowing.

EDIT: I reckon it's been resprayed too. MY98s had black door handles and mirrors out of the factory.
                  Last edited by willsy01; 11-11-20, 09:34 PM.

Comment

My MY98 was still going fine at 305,000km or so when I sold it to somebody on here.. I think unless it has had a hard life, the gearbox and headgasket issues are bit overrated.
                    RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Good info, gonna message this bloke.

Pulse Racing is just up the road. They kicking goals or steer clear?

Comment

Dont know if this one has been mentioned, CBF reading all the other suggestions.

I reckon a good WRX STi to buy would be the MY05 model.
                        Last of the EJ207, first with the bigger hubs and first to change over to the 5x114.3 stud pattern, also got the electronic controlled centre diff.
                        Also no side airbags so better seats.
                        Last edited by GNGBNG; 12-11-20, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brasher View Post
                          Good info, gonna message this bloke.

Haven't used them but by all accounts they know their shit.

Originally posted by GNGBNG View Post
                          Dont know if this one has been mentioned, CBF reading all the other suggestions.

I reckon a good WRX STi to buy would be the MY05 model.
                          Last of the EJ207, first with the bigger hubs and first to change over to the 5x114.3 stud pattern, also got the electronic controlled centre diff.
                          Also no side airbags so better seats.
                          Agreed.
                          Last edited by willsy01; 12-11-20, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brasher View Post
                            Dropping mine off there on Saturday. Only ever heard good things about Subi Doctor and Pulse FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by McMulla View Post

Dropping mine off there on Saturday. Only ever heard good things about Subi Doctor and Pulse FWIW.
                              Nice, I can literally walk home from there so it’s convenient

did some more looking today. Heart is saying gc8, brain is saying get an 05 and up. The later model ones just don’t tug on the heart strings for me at all however. This will be a weekender at the most, but I also don’t want to be fixing shit. Difficult one.

Comment

Gc8 market has definitely gone mental. Nice to know I'll get back all the money ive poured into mine if I ever decide to sell up.
                                Originally posted by FatBoy
                                Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Comment

Working...
                                X