Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW E92 335i DCT for light circuit duty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke352 View Post

Buying a used E92 335i is a lottery where you just have to pick a number between 1 and 5. The N54 was plagued with issues all of them expensive.
    Ahha, there had to be a trick somewhere, thanks. Will have to do some research on that donk.

Comment

Originally posted by Neesan View Post
      Ahha, there had to be a trick somewhere, thanks. Will have to do some research on that donk.
      I had presumed you already knew that part. Yes there are lotsa N54 things to look out for...

Comment

Lots of issues can pop up with N54s when you tune them which everyone does.
        High pressure fuel pumps, rattly wastegates, water pumps, injectors, coils etc.
        They also run hot. Unless you want to invest in lots of coolers keep the power level pretty mild or it will go into limp mode on track.

DCTs are a good thing and usually pretty stout unless they car has been using a piggy back or bad tune. If the gearbox doesn't get accurate torque figures the clutches can slip.

Comment

Decided against a N54, the general rule seems to be that not much after 100km they start shitting turbos, water pump, injectors, fuel pump, plastic valve cover and vital plastic cooling bits, all with the BMW $ tax. I already have a tempramental track car.

No hurry, plenty of other choices but only the Audi Quattro has DCT?.One of the late model sports auto's may do so then MB, Lexus, Alfa will be checked out.

Comment

Decided against a N54, the general rule seems to be that not much after 100km they start shitting turbos, water pump, injectors, fuel pump, plastic valve cover and vital plastic cooling bits, all with the BMW $ tax. I already have a tempramental track car.

No hurry, plenty of other choices but only the Audi Quattro has DCT?.One of the late model sports auto's may do so then MB, Lexus, Alfa will be checked out.
            What about an isf? Are they dct or auto?
            Aftermarket is a bit thin for them though
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Those Lexus ISF are too pricey for my purpose, 8 speed sports auto.

Comment

Damn I was thinking of getting one of these at some stage as they seem like really good value for the $$$ guess there is a reason why.

Seen some for under 15k but high k's nearly 200000km and auto.

I'd want a manual and seems to be a rare thing, these seem to go for around 20k probably for a high km example.

Besides the engine, is the rest of the car up to scratch?

Comment

E9x interiors are not renowned for their longevity.

Comment

BMW operate in the same market as Volkswagen Audi Group, thus they will match their lack of quality.
                    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Worst case scenario I worked out $20 K for, err, 'repairs' max with mileage from 100 K on.. But if a used BMW is the choice then being concerned about future expenses then forget about it, you either go for it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X