Replica Cosworth Cam Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replica Cosworth Cam Covers

As I s l o w l y make progress with the DFX engine, it is becoming apparent that I will be left with enough components to build a show engine, except for a pair of cam covers. I know they are hard to source (because every engine and show engine needs a set).

So I was thinking to get a set made, I'm not so up with how that would be done, I kinda imagine a laser scanner and 3D printer or CNC router?

Can anybody shed some light on how this would be best done, I'm just looking for a facsimile of the cam covers, not a replacement part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1150.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	7194748Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1151.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	7194749

I'm hoping to onsell the dummy engine to raise funds to import this Reynard F3000 carbon tub.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	reynard.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	7194750

I already have an interested party for the dummy engine.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Al's mate does metal casting
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

For a conversation piece engine, I'd say a resin casting would be the go.
      Originally posted by Marlin
      Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Cast one using that one as the pattern. Matilda Foundry

Comment

Beautiful covers

Could you not just 3d print some?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
            Beautiful covers

Could you not just 3d print some?
            Which is what I thought, I think I thought someone may have a contact to pass me onto to have this done. Likewise with resin casting.

Comment

Im sure that I have seen a couple of PF'ers mentioning being able to do 3D printing too.

Comment

surely it would be way easier to just to a plaster mould, and then do a resin casing? shape lends itself to casting beautifully
                Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

I can scan that piece of piss but it’s what you do with it from there that’s the problem. A lot of 3D printers won’t have a big enough build bed. The machine you need will be almost $1M machine and FDM won’t look good enough it will need to be powder bed.

anyway as others have said due to the age and technology back then an aluminium casting would be best

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post
                    I can scan that piece of piss but it’s what you do with it from there that’s the problem. A lot of 3D printers won’t have a big enough build bed. The machine you need will be almost $1M machine and FDM won’t look good enough it will need to be powder bed.

anyway as others have said due to the age and technology back then an aluminium casting would be best
                    Right, damned if I know what FDM is but clearly it's going to need a larger professional operation to execute.

I really didn't want to go to casting as it will need machining afterward, for just a facsimile that seemed a step too far....

Comment

Get these guys to make you a set, replacing Ford with Cosworth? If the size and spacing between DFV and DFX covers are the same.

https://modatek.co.uk/portfolio-item/dfv-cam-cover/

Comment

Originally posted by Astina SP View Post
                        Get these guys to make you a set, replacing Ford with Cosworth? If the size and spacing between DFV and DFX covers are the same.

https://modatek.co.uk/portfolio-item/dfv-cam-cover/
                        Yeh, nah, The idea was to free up a little money, not go into debt.

I can see that some sort of casting is going to win out in the end.

I seem to recall that the Modatek cam covers are a billet aluminium piece, and you can tell.

I just want something that represents like a Cosworth cam cover, it doesn't have to hold oil or the car together, just look about right on an engine stand or under a coffee table.

Comment

send me one, ill make you two out of vac bagged carbon fiber
                          Last edited by doctor ed; 07-11-20, 02:37 AM.
                          Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                          "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

They won't be crazy money to get cast, but also not cheap for just not being used.

You could 3d print them, the two options then are, you can scan it and then if the scan is nice you can print straight from the STL. Considering you want them to look like a cast original it might work pretty good.

Personally I have not fixed STLs up to a level to print from eg the holes etc as the scan doesn't get inside the holes and they have to be repaired, as I always solid model from the scan so the models are parametrically correct.

Printing from a STL will be cheapest as modelling out the scan is where all the money or time disappears. If you can model and 3d print this will be your best option.
                            3D scanning
                            3D modelling
                            Structural certification
                            3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Not sure on the price, but a patternmaker can cast a mould and fibreglass, or CNC out of synthetic wood or polystyrene. You could have a chat with Marc at Centreline Patterns: /http://centrelinepatterns.com.au

Comment

Working...
                              X