Replica Cosworth Cam Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLAYA View Post
    They won't be crazy money to get cast, but also not cheap for just not being used.

You could 3d print them, the two options then are, you can scan it and then if the scan is nice you can print straight from the STL. Considering you want them to look like a cast original it might work pretty good.

Personally I have not fixed STLs up to a level to print from eg the holes etc as the scan doesn't get inside the holes and they have to be repaired, as I always solid model from the scan so the models are parametrically correct.

Printing from a STL will be cheapest as modelling out the scan is where all the money or time disappears. If you can model and 3d print this will be your best option.
    We run Geomagic and could use wrap and DX to make it watertight. I haven’t tried smashing an STL straight into the printer though! My concern will be the finish quality on a printer that big. If you did find something that will print it acceptably my guess is $1k in material anyway so just cast it

Comment

Plaster of Paris mould and resin casting would be my vote for bang for buck.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by lukevl View Post

We run Geomagic and could use wrap and DX to make it watertight. I haven’t tried smashing an STL straight into the printer though! My concern will be the finish quality on a printer that big. If you did find something that will print it acceptably my guess is $1k in material anyway so just cast it
        I have wrap here as well I make heaps of STL but I don't try make water tight, also just split the cover up and print of a resin printer and that would be legit perfect, they accurate to microns but would take days to print. I think making a mould and pouring resin going to be the go.
        3D scanning
        3D modelling
        Structural certification
        3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

Cast it yourself?

Get some beers. scrap alloy and a bunch of YouTube videos. Would be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Disgruntled View Post
            Cast it yourself?

Get some beers. scrap alloy and a bunch of YouTube videos. Would be fun.
            I've built myself a little kiln and all the gear to do basic casting, but have so far been too scared to have a crack....

My aim is also a cam cover, in my case a replica of a Nissan LZ twin cam factory race engine.

I've also considered just making my own pattern and seeing if I can find a foundry that would cast a cover from my pattern.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0069 (3).JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	7195037
            Last edited by dave1600; 07-11-20, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Many thanks to all who have contributed.

As PLAYA has concluded, it would seem that making a mould and casting in resin is the most sensible and cost effective manner.

Thank You All
              " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Comment

Working...
              X