Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Car Ver. No Depreciation Daily Driver, Because Money is Cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
    Do people honestly think these prices for VF HSV's (particularly LSA powered ones), any real late model V8 Ford / Holden, S15's, Hondas etc are sustainable ?

A tidy VN SS was sub 15 for ages, crackheads now want 40. I saw a very nice VS Clubsport listed today at 52k. What the fuck, it's a 15k car at best ?

Even my LSA R8 Clubby is now insured for over 80k when a year ago i had to argue to have it insured for 65.

This shit can't go on forever surely...
    Don’t know about the Holden’s because I don’t know the market but the Honda’s mentioned and S15’s are very good cars, quite rare these days, don’t really have modern replacements and represent a time/culture people think back on fondly. Yeah, I reckon the prices will hold.
    Last edited by Fatboy; 18-11-20, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Ten years ago I was wondering why datsun 1600s were worth so much when people used to paddock bash them and leave them for dead

Now I wonder why people would pay so much for an early s14 when they were $10k drift pigs not that long ago.

The answer has always been the same... The people who paddock bashed/driftpigged them now have fond memories of those times, and the disposable income to own a nice one, but because they fucked them all back in the day there are very few nice ones left.

The other consistent thing is that even though I'm not especially trying to buy either of the above, I've always kept an eye on them because I'm broadly interested in interesting cars... So a bunch of people like me on the sidelines saying things like "geez I'd like to get a good one of those one day, but there aren't any left" probably has a less tangible hype effect.
      Originally posted by myshortyboomba
      I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

I can understand the scarcity and fond memory argument but that only goes so far, especially with some of the more common JDM cars.

Jumping on FB and now the ads read like wanky mustang owners - "Blue S15, 1 of 450 in Auto, N/A with weather strips from factory. Ultra rare investment opportunity".

Like, I get that an R34 GTR is worth 150+. Not terribly many were made and heaps were cut up and crashed - not to mention they are ultra desirable. Also, the cost of the car is now inline with the maintenance costs. But an S15? They are fucking dime a dozen. Paying 35+ for an S15 makes zero sense when you can just import a Spec R for 25. Or just buy an FT86 and throw an LS1 in it for basically the same money.

I also note that I think the used car market blew up when there were massive supply issues on the new car side. Combined with the extra no-holiday money and people itching for something to do and it was basically the perfect storm. But the parts market also got ultra hot at the same time, and it seems to have fallen off so I suspect at some point the car market might follow.

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
          Don’t know about the Holden’s because I don’t know the market but the Honda’s mentioned and S15’s are very good cars, quite rare these days, don’t really have modern replacements and represent a time/culture people think back on fondly. Yeah, I reckon the prices will hold.
          I reckon the Holdens are too common to hold those prices, due to being too recent & not enough of them having been trashed yet.
          I called Shannons because I was concerned our wagoon was underinsured, the nice lass recommended I put the insured value up to the same as we bought it for new 5.5 years ago (and it's now missing the wood-panelling wrap which reduces it's value markedly!).
          And ours isn't "the last of the V8's", doesn't have as many goodies as the VF2 & in particular not the LS3 nor the proper V8 sound that came with it.

The S15's & DC2's are older, I doubt there are many reasonable-condition cars left.
          I reckon the S15 will be an odd one, in that "the right mods" won't decrease it's value c/f a stocker either, eg. using brand-name JDM parts.

But ... I dunno, I have a feeling that a lot of people playing YOLO with their unused holiday & restaurant money will get over it before too long, and there'll be a gradual decline. I'm not sure the massive financial downturn, that around March-April I was expecting, will happen though (where by "massive" I mean larger than what real estate investors seem to see as "massive" which is a 15% drop).
          Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Fraud gets it, Panda not so much

DC2 and S15 were both the best cars of their type of in the era that Japan was king of the tuner world before the emissions regs killed them in 2002. This was an era where a lot of 40/50 year olds got their interest in cars and as Fraud said either managed to own one at the time (and munt it) or they were cars they wanted. In terms of scarcity they only sold 3000 S15’s in Aus and less DC2’s (and over 15000 ‘86’s in the first year) and I’d say more than half are gone.

Sure an auto N/a S15 is taking the piss but 35k for a really good S15 or DC2 is not something you’re going to lose money on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatboy View Post
              Do people honestly think these prices for VF HSV's (particularly LSA powered ones), any real late model V8 Ford / Holden, S15's, Hondas etc are sustainable ?

A tidy VN SS was sub 15 for ages, crackheads now want 40. I saw a very nice VS Clubsport listed today at 52k. What the fuck, it's a 15k car at best ?

Even my LSA R8 Clubby is now insured for over 80k when a year ago i had to argue to have it insured for 65.

This shit can't go on forever surely...
              I think you'll see sustained high values for the types of cars you can't get anymore - V8s, anything performance oriented that's manual, and so on. Whether they'll stay at new car prices forever is debateable. Maybe for mint examples but not once say a VF2 Redline is ten years old and has 200,000km on it. But if you've got one that's mint condition and low km, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post
                Ten years ago I was wondering why datsun 1600s were worth so much when people used to paddock bash them and leave them for dead

Now I wonder why people would pay so much for an early s14 when they were $10k drift pigs not that long ago.

The answer has always been the same... The people who paddock bashed/driftpigged them now have fond memories of those times, and the disposable income to own a nice one, but because they fucked them all back in the day there are very few nice ones left.

The other consistent thing is that even though I'm not especially trying to buy either of the above, I've always kept an eye on them because I'm broadly interested in interesting cars... So a bunch of people like me on the sidelines saying things like "geez I'd like to get a good one of those one day, but there aren't any left" probably has a less tangible hype effect.
                100%

Ask the owner of any "everyday hero" car that has seen prices skyrocket why they bought it, and the answer will invariably start with "Well, when I was a teenager..."

Years ago we had a thread here about future classics and I suggested WRX STIs and Evos would go bananas and everyone thought I was mad! The GranTurismo effect has kicked in but

Comment

Originally posted by IMOA View Post
                  Fraud gets it, Panda not so much

DC2 and S15 were both the best cars of their type of in the era that Japan was king of the tuner world before the emissions regs killed them in 2002. This was an era where a lot of 40/50 year olds got their interest in cars and as Fraud said either managed to own one at the time (and munt it) or they were cars they wanted. In terms of scarcity they only sold 3000 S15’s in Aus and less DC2’s (and over 15000 ‘86’s in the first year) and I’d say more than half are gone.

Sure an auto N/a S15 is taking the piss but 35k for a really good S15 or DC2 is not something you’re going to lose money on.
                  I think I gave a pretty reasonable argument for why I think its a false economy. Why would I buy a clapped out ADM S15 that's been through 4 p platers in Wollongong when I could just import a Spec R for, at worst, the same amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by The Panda View Post

I think I gave a pretty reasonable argument for why I think its a false economy. Why would I buy a clapped out ADM S15 that's been through 4 p platers in Wollongong when I could just import a Spec R for, at worst, the same amount of money.

No, its not a reasonable argument. Local cars are always worth more because you don't need to go through the hassle of importing and complying them and bringing them up to aussie spec, they can be inspected properly before purchase and thats before the issue of there's only very few S15's that can be imported because they were sold locally. Adding in the wollongong comment doesn't make it a reasonable argument, it's a shit strawman.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraud View Post

The thing is though the cars that they paddock-bashed then were never going to be the examples of the cars that they would buy now - i mean ive wrecked multiple Soarers but they were all common-as-muck, neglected, least desirable MY's/spec - thats why they ended up like that in the first place. if i were to buy a looked-after one now it would be rare-ish well-specced late model

Not saying there no relationship here but as usual its never as simple as it seems
                      Originally posted by Jim
                      I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.

Originally posted by elfturbomax
                      What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
                        My morning commute is about 8.5kms and can take anywhere from 25-40 mins.

No shower in my building so riding is out of the question. Plus I go and see people during the day, so need the car.
                        leave car at work. lane split on a scooter. win win i get back about 40 minutes a day doing this over driving into the city. and it uses 5l a week.

Oo___oO

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post

leave car at work. lane split on a scooter. win win i get back about 40 minutes a day doing this over driving into the city. and it uses 5l a week.
                          And so much safer than my commute for two years doing that in Jakarta.....

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                            And so much safer than my commute for two years doing that in Jakarta.....
                            You do realise the man has testicles of steel & is doing all that on a Razor scooter ... ?
                            Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

Originally posted by burn is weird View Post

Work car park in the CBD is not lockable and is hence infested with junkie rats each and every night. Would you leave an E55 AMG there?
                              The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Originally posted by tremolo View Post

100%

Ask the owner of any "everyday hero" car that has seen prices skyrocket why they bought it, and the answer will invariably start with "Well, when I was a teenager..."

Years ago we had a thread here about future classics and I suggested WRX STIs and Evos would go bananas and everyone thought I was mad! The GranTurismo effect has kicked in but
                                haha, I'm in that boat now. I'm amazed at STi pricing. Even WRX's are more than I thought they would be!

But it's doesn't help that todays cars suck dick. No excitement factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X