Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Car Ver. No Depreciation Daily Driver, Because Money is Cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finding this discussion somewhat depressing. Do these kids not realise that an 86 or NC/ND MX5 does everything these old shitheaps do better, more reliably and by the sounds of things at a fraction of the cost?

Comment

But wasn't it the same when we were young buying at the time 10 to 20 year old shitters for too much money when better newer cars that did everything better were available????

Well maybe spices weren't rocketong up like they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
        I'm finding this discussion somewhat depressing. Do these kids not realise that an 86 or NC/ND MX5 does everything these old shitheaps do better, more reliably and by the sounds of things at a fraction of the cost?
        Forget about the kids. Seriously who would want to pay +$85k for a beat up 186 HG Monaro that needs $40k just to get running? It will never drive as well as a 86, heck as well as a base i30.

I'm stumped why POS muscle cars are fetching such a high price. They aren't worth it. Once the 50's die off or go bankrupt I think they'll be worth SFA. Which is what they should sell for. And to clarify I'm not talking about the museum spec stuff, I'm talking about the rust buckets.
        Sent from my shed, trapped under a collapsed QuickJack, via Tapatalk

Comment

That kid from work is looking at more NA MX5's for 15k, and doesn't know what language I'm speaking when I say she can buy an 86 and have change left over. I feel like old man yelling at clouds.

Comment

Those MX5 prices are ridiculous.

A couple if years ago with some looking $5k would have gotten you one that was ok $7k a good one. Fuck paying $15k for one, unless it is immaculate, or a top spec race car with a too level new engine in it.

If she wants a convertible, $15k will buy you a 350Z.
            Last edited by PXL265; 21-11-20, 01:47 PM.

Comment

When I was ~20 you couldn't convince me that I didn't want a fiat 124. I knew a good one that needed no attention would cost me $10k, and I knew that a few grand more would get me into something far more modern that was objectively better in most ways, with was less chance of losing my wallet in a mysterious dumpster fire. Fucked if I didn't have every dickhead counter argument under the sun though.

"Cars with round headlights and chrome bumpers are just better"
              "They don't make cars like this any more"
              "They were so far ahead of their time"
              ​"there aren't enough modern lightweight rwd hardtop cars these days"

And so on.. and I spent a lot of time talking about this, because I was a 20 year old dude before youtube existed. Friends who weren't into cars didn't care, I thought I was better than them. Friends who were into cars encouraged me to go for it. They would later troll me in their cars with modern features such as "air conditioning", "blade fuses" and "non-sporadic headlights". Family members wanted me to find something more modern/safe, but my old man eventually encouraged me to pull the trigger on a $3k non-runner, and got conned into helping me fix a bunch of shit to get it running.

But fuck me if I wasn't the happiest cunt on the road for those few drives when it all came together. The rest of the story doesnt really have a happy ending, but my point is that if 20 year olds want to spend $15k on good from 10 meters s13, fucking let them.
              Originally posted by myshortyboomba
              I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

reliable and valuer for money sounds mighty boring.

Comment

Seeing all the bullshit prices people are asking for clapped out, flogged to death R33 gtst's, I'm considering moving on my own neatish R33. If some idiot is willing to give me 25K or more for it, I'll cash in. So many shit heaps are being advertised for that much. They're that bad, they make mine look awesome. I've got a track day in a couple of weeks, if it doesn't blow up it's going to be 4 sale. Probably put it up for $27999. See how i go. If it sells, I'll be then looking for the type of vehicle this thread is about.

Pics of said 33

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 21-11-20, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I've been wanting a fun weekender under 10-15k but fucked if you can get anything for that. I'm in no hurry so I can wait out the inflated prices, but my concern is that in 6-12 months everyone who paid high won't want to sell at a loss, and everyone who's held onto them won't want to sell at 10k when they could have gotten 15k, so prices will stay artificially high.
                    LS Powered FD3S RX7

Comment

What about the best RenaultSport Clio or Megane you can find for the budget? They are a lot of fun for bum-draggers.
                      If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                        What about the best RenaultSport Clio or Megane you can find for the budget? They are a lot of fun for bum-draggers.
                        Looking at one of these (Meg) today. The prices have had a bit of a Covid bump - but looking more like a few grand compared to the start of the year, not $10k increases for high mileage shitheaps.

Comment

Originally posted by 23Kev View Post
                          Talk of future classics is super interesting for me at the moment, I'm in a position I never thought I'd be in. People lucky enough to have got one of (potentially) a small number of GR Yaris' (Aus delivered, likely between 1350-2000?) have the potential to have a future classic in 10-20 years time. Its a similar style to a STI or Evo (maybe even more special than these due to its uniqueness to its namesake), its made at a time when very few other manufacturers are making similar cars, its manual, suited to drivers, has a shit ton of hype at launch with a very likely limited global run.

I'm going to keep it basically forever, at least 10 years, probably double that. While I'm going to drive it fairly regularly, its not going to have more than 5000-7000km per year put on it, I'm also probably not going to mod it all that much.
                          Will it be worth the same or more than what I paid for it in 2/5/10/20 years time? No idea, maybe? Will it be this generations evo/sierra cosworth/integrale? Maybe?

As I mentioned, I didn't think it would have the hype it has, I didn't think it would be as cheap as we got it for and I didn't think I'd have the means to buy it. Am I glad I did and am I stoked that it may actually be an investment that pays itself over the next period of my life, fucking oath. In saying all this, I've got absolutely no idea how to care for a car like this. Apart from garaging it, keeping it well maintained and (possibly) as original as possible, is there anything else I should do?

p.s. I know I should probably stop talking about this car but its hard to contain the excitement....
                          Everyone's favourite motoring Journo has already attempted to answer your question for you.

I climbed Mt Druitt

Comment

Yep, I watched that and then remembered I’m buying it because it’s a good car and not an investment!
                            I survived the patio flooding catastrophe of 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                              I had been considering a Clio RS for nopics as they'd be fun while also fuel efficient (she has a decent daily commute). I was after something a bit more modifiable for myself though, interesting enough to turn up to a car meet in.
                              LS Powered FD3S RX7

Comment

Could of at least compared it to the st205 not a st185 ...... Always a spanner though isn't he.

Comment

Working...
                                X