Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Car Ver. No Depreciation Daily Driver, Because Money is Cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Car Ver. No Depreciation Daily Driver, Because Money is Cheap!

So, got to discussing options for daily drivers with one of my mates the other day. Current situation is that interest is so cheap that it don't really matter what the purchase price of a car is. For example, at 2% interest (home loan rate), then $50k car purchase costs you all of $1000 per year in interest.

Now the biggest cost with car ownership (for a daily driver) is usually depreciation. That is unless you buy really cheap. Fuel is cheap and will be for the foreseeable future, ditto interest rates.

So, this got us thinking - why not buy something that has minimal deprecation, don't worry about the purchase price and enjoy winning at driving something worthwhile without owning a car that will 1/2 in value every three years, which is the norm for 'mean nothing' cars.

My immediate thought is to get something that you can't get any more. And so I come to manual V8 cars. Looking at you VF commodes/HSV or FG supercharged V8 falcons/FPV. Price of these should not decrease quickly, and indeed will go up in value after a few more years (maybe 10 more years however). I've done this before about 5 years ago where I owned a VX SS and VZ SV8 (both manuals) as daily drivers for about 2 years each. I lost $200 in depreciation between the two of them! Problem was both those cars were not that great, in fact were not that nice at all to drive to be honest. But they have both shot up in price since then!

Of course, I'm basing this on post covidnomics craziness that we are seeing now. Thinking more like mid next year if/when the hope/reality of vaccines mean silly used car prices are more or less gone.

So hit me up with any other ideas other than a V8 falcadore of the last say 10 years. I like driving Mustangs, but they still available and hence depreciating maybe 5k per year easy. E46 BMW M3 is another thought I have. They're not going down in value any time soon and are peak BMW for mine.

Rules are:
    Must be daily driveable and parts etc are simple, easy and cheap enough (I have weekend/race car already - don't need more trouble). So this rules out anything too 'exotic'.
    Not depreciating worth a damn (so must be a car of interest to people now and 2 - 5 years hence)
    Assumes you have access to cheap money (equity in home loan)

OK, go!
    Last edited by 200MPH; 09-11-20, 04:35 PM.

I think a Cayman of the right vintage & spec might meet requirements, I think the 3.4 in the 987 was pretty much sorted & doesn't have the earlier car's problems.
    If you're feeling really baller you might even go a GT4, but I just checked prices & they seem basically the same as when they were new (minus ORC maybe) PLUS all the cars have low km's (although if you bought one with 5k kms on it & sold it with 45k kms that's still pretty reasonable). New one's arrival may damage your resale, it's probably helped currently by there not yet being a new one.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Comment

2009 to 2011 GTR
      3D scanning
      3D modelling
      Structural certification
      3 and 5 axis milling

Comment

997.2 911. Will cost you a bit more in interest but I think it will appreciate.

Comment

I agree with this logic 100% (have not always followed it 100% though) - depreciation is the #1 cost of car ownership - no point getting hung up on fuel economy etc...

I also agree that because things have gone nuts lately in terms of used car prices, whatever you're buying now is probably going to cop more of a % drop in the coming 6-24 months once the world finally goes back to normal... OR prolonged effects start to take a stronger economic toll (for many there has been nothing yet).

And lastly agree... interest is so cheap now if you've got a residential asset to securitise against (e.g. the home, car/asset lending is historically cheap but still a big gap to HL rates)

I think VF GTS a good pick... no new models ever again so will remain "collectable" whilst still delivering staunch performance and appropriate comfort. Mechanically simple so you won't do your wallet on the maintenance like you would something like a E92 M3....

Later model R35 or a 991.1 GT3 if you've got some more coin... but won't do as well on resale.
          Find your Freedom
          Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
          www.FreedomFunding.com.au
          www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
          If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Manual 911, any year.

I’ve had this thought too.

Comment

Aston Martin V8 Vantage. In manual.

Comment

Originally posted by The Panda View Post
                Aston Martin V8 Vantage. In manual.
                Not a bad idea, guess it can't depreciate if you can't sell it
                you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Comment

991 Porsche GT3 RS.

Comment

Lexus ISF did alright by me; paid $48k for it, drove it for 4yrs and 50,000km and sold it for $45k
                    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

M2
                      RIP Simon - Ghost ride that whip in the clouds forever..

Comment

Hq to Hz Holden....
                        I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Anything with hero status that is 10+ years old is a safe bet imo, e39 m5, b7 rs4, e55, just about any 911 with a manual transmission or a turbo, any r35 skyline, any v8 commodore or falcon with a manual trans or in wagon form (you might even catch a few coming off high balloon leases that are being handed back right about now), the last run of wrx hatches, especially in sti form, any evo x but ideally manual, you may get lucky with a TRD hilux or even Aurion in time because I don't see them churning out anything like that again in the near future, but that's a stretch... And all of the above are things I think a normal person could conceivably drive daily and not hate life, that you can probably still get spares for and won't drastically set your wallet on fire (b7 and e55 may require a maintenance kitty but all the problems and fixes are well documented at this point)

Things I don't think will do well:
                          Golf gtis - unless they stop making them altogether with a shift to electric in the next decade... The golf r will probably do okay, and the golf r wagon will hold its value for sure...

AMG x63s - no question about them being great cars, and if you ever wanted a 2009 c63 now is probably the time to get one, but I genuinely believe they made/sold too many of them, marketed them too broadly, and failed to keep them "special" by continuing to churn them out and setting a precedent that the replacement model will be on its way in 24 months time... I just don't think these will hold up the way an m3/5 would. Prior to the 63 era I think AMG was more "special"... Note: these are the musings of a non-fanboy who has never owned one, maybe I'm way off.
                          Originally posted by myshortyboomba
                          I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Comment

Lotus Exige or Elise after the initial depreciation hit

You could daily drive it..

Comment

SL55
                              E55 (wagons are even rarer)
                              SLK55
                              CLS55 maybe
                              BMW Z4 sDrive35is
                              C63
                              E63
                              Audi RS4 'vert
                              Don't forget everything is around 30% more expensive than Redbook at the moment due to lack of new car stock etc, once that flows onto the 2ndhand market, things will likely drop again in line with Redbook. Unless you have something that is becoming scarce, as mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                              X